• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How can I stay onsite under 14K?!

Wouldn’t two connecting rooms be kind of weird though? Like how would they split sleeping arrangements? The nanny would end up in a room with the older kids I’m guessing?
I’d have to be pretty close with my nanny to want to be in such close quarters with her for a week.

So you trust the lives of your children with a nanny in your absence in your daily routine but don't feel comfortable with them sleeping in a room next to you with a couple of your kids also sleeping in the same room as them?
Now that seems a bit weird.

I'm not a nanny but I am a sitter that watches the same kids twice per week for about 9 hours per day and I'd die for those children. I love them as though they were my nieces. They take naps in my room and when old enough will lay in my bed for naps. I certainly hope their parents would not feel weird about having me stay in the hotel room next to them if they can trust me with their very lives in every day life.

David's encourages renters to purchase trip insurance from a third party but that doesn't necessarily permit you to cancel for any reason or make changes to the reservation. But it does cover other parts of your trip such as lost luggage and trip delays. The other agency offers their own point protection plan (for a price) that will allow you to cancel for any reason but pro-rates your refund based on how close to your arrival date you cancel.
My understanding is that even "cancel for any reason" policies have limitations on that "any."

So you trust the lives of your children with a nanny in your absence in your daily routine but don't feel comfortable with them sleeping in a room next to you with a couple of your kids also sleeping in the same room as them?
Now that seems a bit weird.

I'm not a nanny but I am a sitter that watches the same kids twice per week for about 9 hours per day and I'd die for those children. I love them as though they were my nieces. They take naps in my room and when old enough will lay in my bed for naps. I certainly hope their parents would not feel weird about having me stay in the hotel room next to them if they can trust me with their very lives in every day life.
I trust my daughter’s first grade teacher and the rest of the school
personnel to care for her during the day, I trust my son’s private preschool teachers to care for him...doesn’t mean I want to sleep in a room with them. If I had a nanny I’d get her her own room. That’s all I’m saying.

personnel to care for her during the day, I trust my son’s private preschool teachers to care for him...doesn’t mean I want to sleep in a room with them. If I had a nanny I’d get her her own room. That’s all I’m saying.

Hmm I see. You are thinking about it more in a professional setting.
I've worked at a preschool where its side hugs and if you can't use the bathroom by yourself then you can't attend.
But when you're a babysitter/nanny the relationship ends up being much more personal.
You become more like a relative and caregiver.
You are changing diapers, giving baths, giving lots of hugs and kisses, tickling tummies to get so much laughter that that little tot ends up tired, snuggling up with them when they don't feel good, saying I love you....

dolphin.jpg On site but without the Disney deluxe price tag, try the Dolphin. You can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, use Disney Buses just no Magical Express, Magic Band charging or dining plan. In September you will be able to get two rooms with kids under 12 eat free with a paying adult for around $2,600. This includes taxes and resort fees but not parking if you rent a car. Just buy your tickets and pay for food OOP which is honestly for most people a better value anyway. Make sure you ask for the family stay connected rate, they give you a discount on top of whatever discount rate you book for the 1st room (for example AAA) and they guarantee connecting rooms. Only added fee would be a Lyft or Uber from the airport or you can book Mears transportation easily.

https://www.swandolphin.com/accommodations/index.html

If you are set on Animal Kingdom Lodge, price buying 1 annual pass. The discount you would typically be able to book with an annual pass on your rooms would pay for the price increase between your ticket and the annual pass. You would also be able to then purchase Tables in Wonderland and get 20% off dining and alcohol which is usually a better value than the dining plan.

I wish I knew the secret to getting Swan/Dolphin for less then a Disney Deluxe. I sure can never find it. Every time I look they are the same price, or so close to it the difference is to little to make the hassles of no MB and no ME worth it. One time I found them reasonably priced enough to stay there. I have heard where teachers and maybe nurses get really good rates though

I wish I knew the secret to getting Swan/Dolphin for less then a Disney Deluxe. I sure can never find it. Every time I look they are the same price, or so close to it the difference is to little to make the hassles of no MB and no ME worth it. One time I found them reasonably priced enough to stay there. I have heard where teachers and maybe nurses get really good rates though

Middle of Sept rate for Dolphin is 181 right now before fees/taxes. The rates for those properties are highly dependent on pre bookings. Swan for same week is $350. For OP trip if they used the same middle week with 181 for 1st room with stay connected discount on second they would come in around $2650 for the 2 rooms all taxes and fees included. The stay connected rate includes kids eat free under 12 with paying adult.

We have often gotten great last minute rates when I assume a group cancels a large block of rooms. About 154 is a typical rate that we have been getting but I think 181 is still good.

Last edited:
If you're going to have 7 people including the nanny, want to stay onsite, and don't want to spend $14,000 then you need to stop looking at deluxe resort suites.
Try 2 standard rooms at ANY resort.
There are connecting rooms and you can request it but you may not get it. Disney does at least try their hardest to get you rooms that are next to each other if not connecting by a door on the inside.

I wasn't only looking at deluxe resorts that is just all that came up when I searched with our party size. I will break it down into two groups but if the nanny doesn't come and Disney can't guarantee a connecting room then that isn't an option either.

"Free" dining just creates the illusion of savings since you are paying a hefty premium to stay onsite. That hefty premium is multiplied when you want to stay in something better than a value and have a large party.

There are many, many great offsite properties where you can stay for far less. You could rent a 3 bedroom presidential at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for well under $2K and be within the gates of Disney.

With the savings you could bring the Nanny and and get a few $1,000 Disney gift cards and tell your husband they're "free dining cards."

I know the "free dining" is not free and it is costing me but it is worth it not to fight over a dole whip on vacation

I wasn't only looking at deluxe resorts that is just all that came up when I searched with our party size. I will break it down into two groups but if the nanny doesn't come and Disney can't guarantee a connecting room then that isn't an option either.

They will not guarantee connecting rooms. Even if someone in a call center tells you yes trust me it is not guaranteed. BTDT.

Well if the nanny cannot go then you could look into the suites at All Star Music or Art Of Animation as they hold 6 people. (All Star Music will be the more cot effective of those two)

Seems like you could RENT a camper and stay at the FORT for under 14k... probably half that ..

Have you looked into packages that include air? Perhaps one or two people could get an annual pass. Sometimes they have discounts for rooms.

I think the nanny too would appreciate her own space so she didn’t feel as though she had to always be on the clock so to speak.

Dvc rental is probably the way to go. I would not put the nanny in the pullout though. She deserves her own space. Additionally, having the living room as a common area is priceless. We just returned from a trip with friends. She and her daughter shared the master, I took the second bedroom with my three kids. We used the living room together in the mornings, evenings and during down time.

They will not guarantee connecting rooms. Even if someone in a call center tells you yes trust me it is not guaranteed. BTDT.
I know that most hotels don’t guarantee connecting rooms. And I understand why they can’t. However, I also understand why booking two rooms is not an option. Hats why when we travel, I won’t book unless I know the room holds all five of us.

If it is important enough than 2 non connecting rooms can be an option. One parent per room
Disney knows that

Wouldn’t two connecting rooms be kind of weird though? Like how would they split sleeping arrangements? The nanny would end up in a room with the older kids I’m guessing?
I’d have to be pretty close with my nanny to want to be in such close quarters with her for a week.

I have to agree. If I brought along a nanny, I'd expect to pay for her to work during the daytime, but also be expected that after her day is over, she would be provided her own room to sleep in. So if she wanted to go out by herself a couple hours after her work hours, she was free to do so. I would not ever expect her to share one of our rooms with the kids at night also. Her work hours would be agreed upon ahead of time (say, either meet up at 8am, or earlier to assist with any kids, then maybe one or two evenings, whatever works for the family).

That being said, I would think you could do a value suite for your family and get her a standard room at the same resort. If you chose AOA, you could get her a room at Pop even, as it's a short walk.

Another way to save some money do not get the Park Hopping option. I have managed 4 trips so far without ever using it and it is expensive. I feel your pain I have to pay for 8 people total and with 2 days in Daytona Beach added on for a 10 day trip I am looking at $20K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter