How can I stay onsite under 14K?!

GypsyMomma2Four

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 6- 2 adults 4 children ages 15-9-7-3. The only options that Disney is giving me is the suites at Poly or AK and it's over 14k for an 8 day trip..

My ideal trip would be AK during free dining in September but there is no way I am willing to pay $16k for lodging and park hoppers.

We would also like to travel with our nanny to help out with the kids which doesn't seem to affect the room capacity as we are already over the limit for a smaller suite/room.

Does anyone have any tips on a way to stay onsite with this large of a group for a more reasonable amount? Do any of the resorts offer connecting rooms?

With this large of a party does the FDP pencil? I also like the fact that my husband won't be complaining over every meal and snack price.

I used this forum to plan my WDW trip in 2014 and I greatly appreciate everyone who takes the time to comment and give their insight.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

We are party of 6. We are doing 2 rooms. You can request connecting rooms. They won’t guarantee them but they do try to grant your request. Just price out your dates with the people split over 2 rooms with the dining plan and tickets you want. A lot more room will come up when there is only 4 per a room. I am sure it is more than doable!

We are a family of 6- 2 adults 4 children ages 15-9-7-3. The only options that Disney is giving me is the suites at Poly or AK and it's over 14k for an 8 day trip..

My ideal trip would be AK during free dining but there is no way I am willing to pay $16k for lodging and park hoppers.

We would also like to travel with our nanny to help out with the kids which doesn't seem to affect the room capacity as we are already over the limit for a smaller suite/room.

Does anyone have any tips on a way to stay onsite with this large of a group for a more reasonable amount? Do any of the resorts offer connecting rooms?

With this large of a party does the FDP pencil? I also like the fact that my husband won't be complaining over every meal and snack price.

I used this forum to plan my WDW trip in 2014 and I greatly appreciate everyone who takes the time to comment and give their insight.

Thanks!!
Look into renting a reservation from a DVC member, either directly or thru an agency like David's. You don't say when you are planning to go but you may be able to get a 2-bedroom villa, depending on your choice of resort and the season. You wouldn't qualify for *free* dining but you would have a full kitchen plus a washer/dryer right in the villa. And if you want to pay OOP for a dining plan, it can be added to your reservation for the same price that you would pay if you were to stay in any Disney resort.

read up on renting DVC points.

There are a lot of 1 bed rooms and studios.

Dates would be important. Further out your trip the better chance of getting something affordable.

Look into renting a reservation from a DVC member, either directly or thru an agency like David's. You don't say when you are planning to go but you may be able to get a 2-bedroom villa, depending on your choice of resort and the season. You wouldn't qualify for *free* dining but you would have a full kitchen plus a washer/dryer right in the villa. And if you want to pay OOP for a dining plan, it can be added to your reservation for the same price that you would pay if you were to stay in any Disney resort.

This is what I would recommend. In May, my family of 5 + my dad stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at BLT for 6 nights for about $4000. I rented points from a member on the boards here, so the price was less than what David's charges. It was a great experience. We didn't use the kitchen to cook meals, but having laundry right in the room was amazing.

September should give you some good options. A 2 bedroom at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs would give you lots of room in a "nicer" resort. Staying at a deluxe with a large group is no cheap proposition. Staying at a mere moderate resort is quickly becoming an "upper middle class" thing.

My ideal trip would be AK during free dining but there is no way I am willing to pay $16k for lodging and park hoppers.

Thanks!!
Thats easy. Two next to each other cabins at Fort Wilderness. That's about $600 a night for the two cabins that sleep 12 combined. Keep the Nanny in the Cabin with the Kids and the adults in the other cabin. Be sure to ask for the 2500 loop very nice and next to your own pool and hot tub. Be sure and get a golf cart about $65 per day. A car is handy/must too. Forget about the dining plan its a waste. Go on line and have groceries delivered and use the grill outside. You'll have two kitchens. A week at the Fort will cost you $4,500 for the cabins, $450 for the golf cart..that frees up a ton of cash compared to 16K...Go to the Four Seasons next door for dinner, character breakfast, go to Hoop De Do. Fort Wilderness with a golf cart rocks..its a beautiful, easy transit to the Magic Kingdom, lots and lots of stuff to do...Its a gem.
My favorite place at WDW!

Last edited:
Thats easy. Two next to each other cabins at Fort Wilderness. That's about $600 a night for the two cabins that sleep 12 combined. Keep the Nanny in the Cabin with the Kids and the adults in the other cabin. Be sure to ask for the 2500 loop very nice and next to your own pool and hot tub. Be sure and get a golf cart about $65 per day. A car is handy/must too. Forget about the dining plan its a waste. Go on line and have groceries delivered and use the grill outside. You'll have two kitchens. A week at the Fort will cost you $4,500 for the cabins, $450 for the golf cart..that frees up a ton of cash compared to 16K...Go to the Four Seasons next door for dinner, character breakfast, go to Hoop De Do. Fort Wilderness with a golf cart rocks..its a beautiful, easy transit to the Magic Kingdom, lots and lots of stuff to do...Its a gem.
My favorite place at WDW!

This does sound like a great option except I pretty much live at "Fort Wilderness" we live on a large ranch in Oregon so when I go on vacation I want to stay in a nice hotel and I don't want to cook. :-)

I'm not poking fun OP, as this forum only exists so folks (including me!) can discuss our "first world problems"...but you know Disney World is getting expensive when folks with nannies who live on large Oregon ranches are getting priced out of the market! ;)

This does sound like a great option except I pretty much live at "Fort Wilderness" we live on a large ranch in Oregon so when I go on vacation I want to stay in a nice hotel and I don't want to cook. :-)
Well then I'm gonna suggest that you bite the bullet and get a couple rooms/suite at The Four Seasons, which is on Disney property, has 1000% better service and amenities than ANY Disney hotel, is still a Disney connected resort (most of the perks),
it is incredibly beautiful and you will be a Queen for your 8 days. Gonna have to get out the credit card but it seems you are of means (if you don't mind my presumption)...
I can direct you to some of my photos if you like. And you will have privacy without the security theater now going on at Disney resorts.
Best of luck.

I'm not poking fun OP, as this forum only exists so folks (including me!) can discuss our "first world problems"...but you know Disney World is getting expensive when folks with nannies who live on large Oregon ranches are getting priced out of the market! ;)

Ha! true and it's very much first world problems but we live on a budget just like a lot of people and our nanny is less expensive than a lot of peoples day care. Plus I just can't imagine spending 20k on a Disney vacation. Ranching people are frugal! Hence the interest in "free dining" so my husband doesn't have a stroke every time we eat. Our last trip was done on a strict budget, stayed offsite in a condo, ate breakfast at the condo, left every day at noon to eat lunch offsite and came back for evening fun. We had a great time but I would like to stay onsite this time and not sweat every penny.

Without your nanny you are not over the limit at the value suites at AoA or the All Star Music. If you wanted to go budget both of those would be options.

But as you want to stay at a nicer resort you will need to come to terms with the fact that inexpensive and deluxe don't go hand in hand at WDW. Renting points for a villa is a good way to save a bit. Otherwise 2 rooms that you can request to connect would be a good choice. But you can only request they connect, that is not a bookable room type.

There are ppl selling points for the high end resorts aka poly, GF, bay lake tower, beach club etc.

We own at poly and sept is still open except for 3 days.

I am looking into this now, it's a little confusing how the points work but where is the best place to buy these points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter