Hotel geared for adults?

DayOwlVT

Earning My Ears
Greetings - I'm a first time poster, but I've been lurking on this board and soaking up all the information I can prior to my planned first trip to WDW. Love it! You all are a wealth of knowledge!

I'm a 38 year old single female thinking about going to WDW solo this winter sometime. I have no kids and am hoping to find a resort or hotel in either the value or moderate category (under $100/night, preferably) that is likely to have fewer children than the others. (I live alone and am not used to being around the noise levels that tend to accompany kids 24/7. I don't mind being around kids while I'm in the parks, but would really like some peace and quiet when I return to my hotel room.)

Are there any Disney resorts on the property that fit this bill, or should I be looking at hotels like the Hilton, Hotel Royal Plaza, etc.? I will not have a car, but don't mind walking reasonable distances or taking the hotel bus to and from the park. And I honestly don't mind staying at a non-Disney hotel and just visiting the parks each day. Ideas? Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions for restaurants in or within walking distance of Disney that would tend to have fewer children diners?

(I hope I don't sound anti-kids, because I'm not, I just know my own tolerance threshhold.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

DayOwlVT

I'm not sure about pricing for the time that you are going, but my advice would be to look at the moderates and not the values if you do not want to be around kids at the resort. The values (especially the All-Stars) tend to be very family (and child) oriented, while resorts such as the French Quarter and Caribbean Beach seemed to me to be somewhat quieter.

Another thought would be to look for discounts at the Swan or Dolphin which definitely cater to a more adult crowd with their conventions.

As far as restaurants, as long as you try to go to more sit-down restaurants rather than food courts you should be OK. I would advise staying away from character meals as well. And don't forget to try some of the excellent restaurants at the different resorts rather than just the parks.

if you are talking Sept or Jan - then go rent points from a DVC - on the DVC rental/trade board on this site for OKW.

5 nights should be around $400 plus with a studio you get a microwave and under-the-counter refrigerator. This will be $80 a night. the 5 nights are Sun- thurs leaving on Fri - Fri/Sat are much to expensive to stay here - they are $200 a night....

OKW is also a WDW resort - so you get all the on-site guest stuff -early morning entry, E-nights, package delivery, and my favorite WDW transportation.

All-Star Music, according to the Birnbaum's Guide, attracts more couple w/o kids than the other value resorts. That said I still saw plenty of kids, but they weren't a problem as I was in the parks pretty much all day, except for the occasional child who had way too much energy at midnight as they went by my room as the headed back to their room and woke me up (parents, please remember that some people are actually trying to sleep). There wasn't even a cheerleader problem because ASMu had the band kids instead and they're a lot easier to deal with--they never got loud. The rah rahs were going to be at AS-Sports.

Here's my thoughts on the subject. I've done a few solo trips or with other adult-trips and here's the best in each catagory for a more adult-oriented resort:

Value: I second the recommendation for ASMu. Maybe it's the music icons but the themeing definitely is a little more for adults.

Moderate: I've stayed at all except POR and recommend CSR. Yes, it's large but it's considered a convention hotel so there are more adults around and also has more amenities than other mods (ie, hair salon, fitness center, etc.). Also, POFQ is a small resort that I consider second best for this catagory.

Deluxe: the only one I've stayed at was the Dolphin and LOVED IT!!! But I got it on priceline for $70/night last Dec. Very large convention hotel but great location and grotto pool.

DVC: Haven't had the chance to experience these yet, but hope to in the future. Sounds like these also would be good!!!

For my next trip I'm back at Pop Century, but hopefully AP rates will allow me to move up to POFQ. Hope this helps!!! :teeth:

I am you.....a single 40+ female who does many trips to wdw and feel the same way about being around toooo many kids. I would stay away from the value resorts period! The Dolphin and the Swan are good choices as is Port Orleans Riverside, which is a moderate and has good transportation to the parks and to Downtown Disney. My personal favorite is the WL but that is just because I grew up in the north and love the decor there but at times it too can be a little noisy. You should try the first week in Dec. since the hotels are all so beautiful with the holiday decorations and the parks are less crowded. It is a great time of the year to go. Most of my trips are solo also and I always have a great time. As far as food courts they are noisy but it also depends on when you go, early mornings are great, but I find if it is to noisy or crowded I just take my tray back to my room.
:cat: :cat: :cat: :fish:
keiki,binky&mouse my 3 beautiful white kitties!

Thank you all for the replies. Lots of great suggestions. I think the DVC point rental thing is a bit beyond my comprehension at this time, but I'll keep all of the other hotel suggestions in mind. :D

If you want a moderate hotel with fewer children I would suggest Coronado Springs. Since it is a convention hotel it caters a bit more to adults. If I was travelling by myself I would stay there in a heartbeat. The value and other moderate resorts tend to attract more families with children. Since I do not have children I prefer the convention hotels at Disney such as CSR, The Contemporary and Swan.

Another vote for Coronado Springs! Thank you for adding the link to your website, Epcotfan. You have some great photos, and that's exactly the sort of thing I need to see to make up my mind about a place. CSR really is beautiful.

Hi DayOwlVT.
I suggest Coronado Springs Resort too!
It really is such a beautiful resort and feels more like a deluxe than a moderate.
Have fun planning and enjoy a fantastic Disney vacation!

Also...you are in the Dis Class Yearbook!!!

;)

Click on the link below and you'll find your yearbook picture on page 175. :)

Something to keep in mind if your looking at the first week in Dec. the cheerleaders will be there and they sometime overflow into the Moderates. It seem to me from info. on this board most are at the Allstars but the moderates that also have them are POR and POFQ haven't come across any messages of them being at CSR. I'm going during this time and it's one of the reasons i changed my resv. from ASMO to AKL.

Hey, I'm in the yearbook! :bounce:

My trip, just to clarify, would probably take place in late Jan-early Feb (before value season ends). So I don't have to worry about the cheerleaders, I guess. :)

Hi DayOwlVT,
Thanks for having a peek at my website. I hope you enjoyed it!

My trip, just to clarify, would probably take place in late Jan-early Feb (before value season ends). So I don't have to worry about the cheerleaders, I guess.

In 2002 I stayed at the All Star Music January 29 to Feb 2nd and the whole resort was packed with cheerleaders. I don't know if they ever stay at CSR, but you may want to avoid value resorts at that time.

I wouldn't think the value would be ideal because, when I stay there (there was munchkins everywhere) LOL.

Try the Swan or Dolphin or CSR

July:sunny:

In 2002 I stayed at the All Star Music January 29 to Feb 2nd and the whole resort was packed with cheerleaders. I don't know if they ever stay at CSR, but you may want to avoid value resorts at that time.

You have GOT to be kidding me. So they're there in December AND January-February? Don't these kids ever stay home and go to school??? :p Actually, it doesn't matter, as I think I'll be avoiding the value resorts anyway. They don't appeal to me. I've noticed no one is mentioning any of the non-Disney hotels (like the Hilton) in Downtown Disney. Is that because they're no good, or because no one's stayed there?

Just a guess, but after staying on Disney property, most people will not return to off-property resorts due to the perks such as better (more frequent) transportation and Extra Magic Hour. I can't imagine staying off-property, even at the DD resorts with some of their great rates. It's not worth it to me even with some of the better rates that they might offer, especially if you plan on going to the parks and want the flexibility of returning to your room during the day.

In January there are a lot of dance team competitions in Disney too, not just cheerleaders :) Have run into them a few times at the All Stars. When they return from the competitions or parks it is like an invasion :crazy: I do have to say that all the ones I saw were polite and well behaved, just having a blast being at Disney.

For a solo trip, I would stay at POR or a Deluxe. If you stay at POR, ask to be close to the main building. Some of the outer buildings are quiet and I know I would feel more comfortable being closer to the main building.

S&D is a great choice. They often have reates as low as $129 and it is an awesome location. For WL or AK, they often have AP rates as low as $109, that might be an option for you too.

WE joined VC and I love OKW. It is a quiet area, restful and gorgeous with nice dining options.

Good luck deciding!

S&D is a great choice. They often have reates as low as $129 and it is an awesome location.

What I wouldn't give to stay at one of those! I like the location, as well as all the restaurant/lounge options within the hotels. I've definitely looked at them, but their rack rates are way too expensive. I did see that the 2004 Entertainment book had a 50% off deal for them, which would be great for me if the 2005 book has one too. I might be eligible for the teachers/education discount, but I need to call to find out, as I'm hearing mixed messages about who is eligible (I am not a teacher, but I work at a university). If some sort of discount came my way, I'd definitely stay at one of these hotels.

Otherwise, I'll have to go for something more in my price range and just hope I don't wind up with loud kids in the room next to me.

I'm a DVC owner, but I want to save points sometimes. I've stayed at AS Music twice. Both times, I was on the outside of a building and really wasn't bothered by noise. I'm heading down in Dec and am going to give Pop Century a try.

I have done 6 business trips by myself to WDW. Staying everywhere from CSR to WL to GF. While I definitely enjoyed the Deluxe places, if I was paying for it, I would definitely vote for CSR. It's a great resort...the food court can't be beat (trust me on this one!!!). I usually make a couple of trips over there when we go down as a family to eat lunch and/or dinner.

Like everyone has mentioned, it's caters to Conventions so there are fewer families. It's extremely comfortable. If your budget allows it, I would definitely go for it.

Hope this helps...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter