Have You Ever Formally Protested or Boycotted Anything?

I'm currently trying 30 days of being news-free. No newspapaers, no national news, no local news. DD's Elementary school's newsletter is the only "news" allowed but that's only info about fundraisers and after school activities.

My goal is to do this, too. The news is so depressing...so much hate.

I want to fill my "news" with GOOD news...just for a little bit of time. Get my brain right for a bit...ignore the ugliness.

I'm currently trying 30 days of being news-free. No newspapaers, no national news, no local news. DD's Elementary school's newsletter is the only "news" allowed but that's only info about fundraisers and after school activities.

Me too, but I'm long, long past 30 days, easily at a year or more. I don't watch the news at all...no local, no national...don't read papers, don't do any social media whatsoever. When watching TV, I'm usually watching sports or HGTV with DW. In the car, listening to music or sports talk radio.

As for boycotting or protesting, no, not my thing. At least not for political or social statement reasons. I'll never go to Starbucks, but that's simply because I can't stand their coffee. I try not to fly Southwest because I hate the "hurry up and wait" seating arrangements they have.

Yes, everyday I am actively protesting and boycotting by the way I live my life and through the products I do (or do not buy). I'll leave it at that before it has possibility of it turning itself into a debate!

Also, certain media outlets, because I feel their opinion is overly biased.

I've marched against Apartheid in DC (shows you how old I am), protested a president coming to speak here in my town, and have boycotted several establishments.

(tried to keep it as non-political as possible).

Now this has me thinking of that awful 80's comedy movie....ugh, I'm drawing a blank at the moment. What was called? But the plot was about students at a college where everyone protested something and they were trying to get the new kid to join their group. Toward the end, they all started chanting "We're not going to protest...we're not going to protest!!!" Nuts...what was it called??? Driving me crazy trying to think of it.

Great, thanks for the awful flashback... :D

The only thing I can think of right now is when I was really young (around 8 or 9) my neighborhood in NY was going to get a McDonalds. For some reason a very large chunk of the neighborhood (or so it seemed at the time) was against it. I remember we all had signs and stood in front of the soon to be McDonalds. Needless to say the McDonalds came and is still there 40 years later. Recently I had asked my mom why we were so against it but she doesn't remember it at all. For some reason it stuck with me though. Guess it made a big impression. Oh and once McDonalds came everyone ate there.

Now this has me thinking of that awful 80's comedy movie....ugh, I'm drawing a blank at the moment. What was called? But the plot was about students at a college where everyone protested something and they were trying to get the new kid to join their group. Toward the end, they all started chanting "We're not going to protest...we're not going to protest!!!" Nuts...what was it called??? Driving me crazy trying to think of it.

Great, thanks for the awful flashback... :D

I think it was called PCU. I thought it was funny but then again I was at a very liberal hippy university when it came out.

So do people who boycott all news just not care about what is going on in the country and the world? How do you stay informed if you have no clue what is going on?
In my case I cared too much. For reasons I can't talk about here the news was making me ill in a very physical way. I needed to back away and the news boycott helped. Sometimes the news is too horrible to hear.

I can't say I could stay away forever but I still hope certain news/entertainment sites feel my distaste. I know that is very unlikely but it makes me feel better for not listening to them.

If I wanted to boycott everything that went against my morals I would need to buy a deserted island and grow my own food and weave my own clothing. There are just too many things out there that I don't agree with :) I have not purchased certain food items and not gone to some establishments etc, in the past but its a losing battle. I have also not donated to certain charities because of how I feel they are being run etc.
I haven't watched the news in a long time.....I just stopped believing what they were telling me.

So do people who boycott all news just not care about what is going on in the country and the world? How do you stay informed if you have no clue what is going on?

Well an acquaintance of mine recently told me that she doesn't watch the news or read anything about it and hasn't for a long time. I asked her if she voted and she said yes! She told me she voted how her husband did because she trusted his judgement. I haven't looked at her the same since.

Well for me personally I guess the only thing I have I suppose you would call officially boycotted was Le Peep restaurant (breakfast/brunch place) since they treated us so badly when we were using a coupon from Entertainment Book. Haven't been there since and it's been over 3 years.

But I suppose many people have probably boycotted under that definition: not going back to a place because of how they were treated.

The only thing I can think of right now is when I was really young (around 8 or 9) my neighborhood in NY was going to get a McDonalds. For some reason a very large chunk of the neighborhood (or so it seemed at the time) was against it. I remember we all had signs and stood in front of the soon to be McDonalds. Needless to say the McDonalds came and is still there 40 years later. Recently I had asked my mom why we were so against it but she doesn't remember it at all. For some reason it stuck with me though. Guess it made a big impression. Oh and once McDonalds came everyone ate there.
I just saw the movie The Founder about Ray Kroc and the beginning of McDonalds and came out of the movie thinking a boycott would be appropriate. Not a nice man and what he did to the McDonald brothers was wrong. And on the other side of things, I counted three people associated with McDonalds who died from diabetes complications (that was not the focus of the movie). Ironic but maybe a better reason to boycott.

I'm currently not watching any news and I have to say that it is having a very positive effect (or is it affect? Never could remember the difference. LOL).

I do, and will, have to begin paying attention again when voting season comes back around. But I think I will try to only read direct quotes/press conferences/speeches from the candidates themselves. I will try to avoid third party commentary. Just my opinion here but it seems ALL news networks, no matter what side of the aisle (left, right, up, or down) seem to be biased.

In my case I cared too much. For reasons I can't talk about here the news was making me ill in a very physical way. I needed to back away and the news boycott helped. Sometimes the news is too horrible to hear.

I can't say I could stay away forever but I still hope certain news/entertainment sites feel my distaste. I know that is very unlikely but it makes me feel better for not listening to them.

I'm currently not watching any news and I have to say that it is having a very positive effect (or is it affect? Never could remember the difference. LOL).

I do, and will, have to begin paying attention again when voting season comes back around. But I think I will try to only read direct quotes/press conferences/speeches from the candidates themselves. I will try to avoid third party commentary. Just my opinion here but it seems ALL news networks, no matter what side of the aisle (left, right, up, or down) seem to be biased.

These make sense. I could understand take a breather from news (that can actually be incredibly healthy) it was more the I haven't listened to any news source in years camp that was odd to me. Of course I watch all of it and know which ones are outwardly bias and then read the stuff available on my own (bill proposals, candidates websites, transcripts of speeches, etc) and use all of it to form an opinion. Of course this will go down more now that the election is over but still with bills that I might want to reach out to my representation about I go straight to the bill and not what people are telling me I should think about them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter