Harry potter forbidden journey and motion sickness

Thanks for the info. The ride lost me when you said "Spin".

It only spins a couple of times and because the ride vehicle is so large, it isn't that bad. I can't do spins and Spiderman doesn't bother me at all.

It is pretty similar to Star Tours in terms of simulation (watching a movie on a screen in a car) but different in terms of the motion of the car. You board a car, and you were taken to several big screens instead of one screen. The car acts like a roller coaster. In each screen and location, you will encounter different motions. For example, you will encounter a screen where you feel like you are being dropped 10 story feet high. Another screen will have a shaking effect because your car is being shocked or punched by the villains. Another effect is spin. The only thing the car does not do is going upside down.

Dropped 10 stories....yikes! I hate roller coasters. How many "dropping parts is there on this ride?

I am another one who usually doesn't get motion sick - spinning, upside down, boats - no problem. But FJ almost did me in. It's not so much the motion on the screens - I can handle that. Imagine you are sitting in a chair. Suddenly your chair pitches straight back and you are staring at the ceiling, and seconds later you pitch forward and are looking at the floor. Repeat. THAT is what made me sick. I felt like a shaken soda can. The effects were amazing, but feeling sick for 24 hours wasn't worth it for me.

FJ makes me a bit nauseous even with dramamine and prescription scopolamine . Hydration I think is key. And forget about the Simpsons ride..... Blah....

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

FJ makes me a bit nauseous even with dramamine and prescription scopolamine . Hydration I think is key. And forget about the Simpsons ride..... Blah....

We went once during a lower season and my son wanted to take advantage of low crowds and rode fj with me over and over, and after a number of times I said I'm sorry, but I can't ride anymore....

My husband who never gets sick on any ride was green the first time he got off FJ (and that was after I had forced him to take a Meclizine both the night before and then another one that morning). He humored me and took it, but laughed and reminded me he'd never gotten ill on any amusement park ride and that he never got motion sickness. For him it was going through the chimney's that got him. They have since removed that part and replaced it with a greenish mist at the beginning of the ride, so he hasn't gotten ill since. However, he'll just ride it one time per day, whereas I ride it over and over using single rider line. It's never made me ill, but I still don't want to take a chance, so always take a meclizine both the night before and the morning that I'm riding it. While I'm getting my fill of FJ, my husband rides Dueling Dragons a couple of times. He says he'd much rather ride Dueling Dragons over and over than ride FJ even twice.:rotfl: He also has no problem with the Simpsons (or Mission Space, Tea Cups, Star Tours, Spiderman, etc). In all the years, I've known him (over 30 years) the only amusement park ride that has ever given him trouble is FJ.:confused3

old lady said:
Is it like Soaring in Epcot?

Nope. I can do Soarin just fine. FJ made me feel. I had to close my eyes through most of it. Same with Star Tours.

We just returned from WWOHP yesterday and we went specifically for HPFJ. I was a disaster getting on the ride after reading all of these posts since I had terrible motion sickness as a child, and some rides make me sick. I was terrified that I would be ill. I did not get sick or feel the least bit queasy. In fact, the line was so short, we hopped on again right after the first time. My best advice would be to try it, and not worry about reading how sick everyone gets from it. Sometimes hearing all that makes you so nervous you will get sick. I would try it, it's an amazing ride.

I can usually handle Soaring and Big Thunder, not Star Tours or any simulator ride. Rode HPFJ last Friday after having 3B Breakfast and a Gravol. Eyes open, I was able to handle the ride, but it is quite intense. Without Gravol, handled MIB and its spins but nearly died on ET right after, go figure! Did not try Despicable Me, Transformers, Spiderman or Simpsons as those are all simulator based rides.

Just an update: I had no problem on FJ - did it twice! No problem on any of the other motion simulator.

But Dragon Challenge - forget it! Our first & last upside down roller coaster (even though we can do RNR at Disney without issue).

I suffer from real bad motion sickness.

On Fj the parts with the screens i closed my eyes and relaxed on the rest of the ride and really enjoyed it.

Same with transformers i had to close my eyes a few times.

I can not do roller coasters at all. Rock en roll one knocked me for 6 never again.

Amazing how FJ effects different people i think its the motion with the screens closing your eyes when they screens comes on is key.

Simpsons wasn't grate for me so i closed my eyes the whole way threw that 1.

But that's because i wasn't well after the rock en roll coaster.

My opinion is if you have not been on FJ then try it close.

Its an amazing ride.

This coming from a guy who gets nervous from reading the signs as soon as i see on any ride, Warning if you get motion sickness dont ride this ride.

I ride it and love it.

Spacing out your rides helped me taken 15/20 minutes between rides getting a drink.

Heat don't help over there more AC rooms would be good

It made my husband very sick ( but he was already sick from the dragon coaster...should have known). I wasn't sick before but had to close my eyes and breathe on the ride to avoid it so I would say skip it. Sitting in that Nurses room for 3 hours trying to make the room stop spinning sucks! So much other fun stuff to do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter