Harry potter forbidden journey and motion sickness

OhStuffandFluff

DIS Veteran
My DH is prone to motion sickness. He was able to ride soarin and big thunder mountain. But he felt AWFUL after riding star tours. Will he be able to ride harry potter or will it make him sick. Thanks for your help!

I believe it will make him sick. I've ridden that ride with many different people and I would say 50% of them felt sick.

Looks like my DH will only ride it once. :headache: He doesn't ride Star Tours anymore because it makes him sick.

I believe it will make him sick. I've ridden that ride with many different people and I would say 50% of them felt sick.

Is it the whole ride that makes you sick or just portions? I know in certain portions of Spiderman, if I watch the video, that makes me a little sick, but if I close my eyes during that part, I'm okay. Going in November to ride it for the first time and I'd like to know what to expect.

I get motion sickness on that ride. It's why I take Bonine or the D medicine before I ride. Even then, if I get a bit sick, I close my eyes. That helps alot. I am not good with any of those types of rides without medicine and eye closing sometimes.

My DH gets motion sickness. He has done Star Tours once and it left him down for the day. He can do the coasters, no problem. He can do Soarin. He cannot do Teacups or anything spinning like Primeval Whirl.
He tried Forbidden Journey right after it opened and was sick very shortly after it started. It ruined his day. Now he does the castle tour with us and steps out when we board. He also does not do any of the virtual simulation rides at US/IOA.

I just close by eyes when I do not feel well. I usually only ride it once in a day. It is a great ride and I hate to miss it so I just suck it up. I even ride the Simpsons for my daughter and I just close my eyes the entire ride.

I just close by eyes when I do not feel well. I usually only ride it once in a day. It is a great ride and I hate to miss it so I just suck it up. I even ride the Simpsons for my daughter and I just close my eyes the entire ride.

Thanks to all for your comments! Are there other rides at the two parks that my DH will not be able to tolerate then? Thanks again!

Just say no to the Simpsons. I am not sure about MIB since the ride vehicle does spin you around at the end but I do not get sick on this and I get motion sickness bad also. I can do Spiderman, transformers and Despiciable Me I just do not wear the 3d glasses.

Apparently they've made some adjustments to The Forbidden Journey to help with the motion sickness. I can't give any first hand experience, though.

I can handle the ride just fine as long as I take a bonine (less-drowsy dramamine) before.

I'm another person that gets motion sick. I've found that if I take Bonine it helps a lot. I can do Forbidden Journey once a day. I have to close my eyes on the "down" part of Spiderman, but other than that I'm ok. I can't do the Simpsons even with the Bonine.

Apparently they've made some adjustments to The Forbidden Journey to help with the motion sickness. I can't give any first hand experience, though.

I can handle the ride just fine as long as I take a bonine (less-drowsy dramamine) before.

When we were there in May, I asked one of the CMs why they took the chimneys out and replaced it with a cloudy misty type area instead. He said the part at the beginning where you go through the chimneys seemed to be the part that made most people with motion sickness sick. My husband who never gets motion sickness gets a little queasy anytime he rides FJ though and still did, even without the chimney part. Knowing it had made him nauseous previous trips I had given him a meclizine the night before and another one that morning before leaving the resort. This is a man who has never gotten sick on a ride in his life. He has no problem with Tea Cups, Star Tours, Sum of All Thrills, the old Body Tours, Simpsons, or Spiderman, and loves any coaster or spinning ride ever made, but for some reason FJ does him in.:confused3

I'm getting concerned about this ride and feeling sick on it, so I decided to watch some clips of it on You Tube. I can now see why people feel sick while riding. I was getting a bit dizzy just sitting at my computer watching it! The video seems very dizzying to me with all the twists and turns. Well, I'll just close my eyes if I feel sick I guess. I definitely want to experience it at least once!

Watching the video is not the same as riding it. I don't get suck on anything but DW gets sick. She takes bonine and can handle it ok. She has the problem with the screens with fast action.

Personally I don't like the new beginning and ending with the green light. The other thing I noticed the motion through these areas is less than before.

When we were there in May, I asked one of the CMs why they took the chimneys out and replaced it with a cloudy misty type area instead. He said the part at the beginning where you go through the chimneys seemed to be the part that made most people with motion sickness sick. My husband who never gets motion sickness gets a little queasy anytime he rides FJ though and still did, even without the chimney part. Knowing it had made him nauseous previous trips I had given him a meclizine the night before and another one that morning before leaving the resort. This is a man who has never gotten sick on a ride in his life. He has no problem with Tea Cups, Star Tours, Sum of All Thrills, the old Body Tours, Simpsons, or Spiderman, and loves any coaster or spinning ride ever made, but for some reason FJ does him in.:confused3

They've changed more than that now. They have smoothed out the motion during the screened scenes. The projectors are all being replaced and the screens are much brighter as well.

We rode last week and the first time in the morning, my husband got severely sick from the ride. He wasn't feeling that great to begin with before the ride and it could have been because he didn't really have much of a breakfast, not really sure why it affected him the way it did. Mission Space and Soarin did not bother him at all.

The interesting thing we rode HP again for a 2nd time that evening and I really didn't want him to ride it because it took him quite a few hours to feel better, but he said he felt well and surprisingly it didn't bother him the 2nd time.

In the past month or so the ride profile was changed and the projectors are being replaced. The floo powder thing has been changed for longer than that.

Thanks for letting me know!

We rode last week and the first time in the morning, my husband got severely sick from the ride. He wasn't feeling that great to begin with before the ride and it could have been because he didn't really have much of a breakfast, not really sure why it affected him the way it did. Mission Space and Soarin did not bother him at all.

The interesting thing we rode HP again for a 2nd time that evening and I really didn't want him to ride it because it took him quite a few hours to feel better, but he said he felt well and surprisingly it didn't bother him the 2nd time.

I have to have a PERFECT level of food intake and hydration to feel OK for FJ. Mornings before breakfast, or even after coffee and a Luna bar, are bad bad bad. First day we get to Universal when we've traveled or hit WDW all day are bad bad bad (b/c I'm not hydrated). Basically I have to really focus on the water and then hit a sweet spot in between proper meals to feel OK.

I'm in the same 50% zone as your husband, is what I'm trying to say. :)

I also can only ride this once a day - and I use Bonine. I also in addition to taking Bonine wear Seabands. These are bands that you wear on your wrists. Between the Seabands and the Bonine I can ride anything I want and I used to have problems with all motion simulators and coasters that go upside down. I still only do FJ once a day because besides the motion sickness aspect I just think the ride is rough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter