Guess What I Was Just Told?i Have The Long Awaited Disney Perk,WE GET THE AP AND PAP

Originally posted by Lou Rindner
What do you mean AP and upgraded to PAP? What does that mean about the tickets?

AP = Regular AP (4 theme parks)

PAP = Premium Annual Pass (4 theme parks plus water parks, etc)

Originally posted by phyllisnnj
I appreciate any ticket discount but I guess I don't understand why the AP/PAP has to be limited to people living in the same household.

This is a discount for DVC owners and their immediate family's. This is not a discount for their extended family, guests, Friends or neighbors. Why should Disney allow your guest to get a discount on a ticket they could then use at any time for a year when you (the DVC owner) are not there? You can still use your UPH discount for other guests while their vacationing with you. Do you think those who rent out their points should be able to buy their "guests" a discounted pass? I don't think so...

Originally posted by icy-dog
When you go through the gate fingerprints are taken and only that person can use that pass. Passes cannot be transferred from person to person. I am not sure if that is what you meant in your post but I thought I would interject a little knowledge I have garnered from being a passholder for many years/
It's not fingerprints, it's just biometrics with finger lengths and the like. What I don't know is how long the computer remembers the info.

I appreciate any ticket discount but I guess I don't understand why the AP/PAP has to be limited to people living in the same household.

This is a discount for DVC owners and their immediate family's. This is not a discount for their extended family, guests, Friends or neighbors. Why should Disney allow your guest to get a discount on a ticket they could then use at any time for a year when you (the DVC owner) are not there? You can still use your UPH discount for other guests while their vacationing with you. Do you think those who rent out their points should be able to buy their "guests" a discounted annual pass? I don't think so...

Ah. For all my years of complaining about what about us, DVC shows up in a big wave. Let me say this. Thank you DVC for paying attention to our desires as DVC members. I am very impressed with the discount on annual passes.

I agree that it should be to the DVC owner/members and their immediate family. We are the ones that put a lot of money into DVC so we should get the discount.

Brillant and just thinking. The change in DVC management is paying off.

:earsboy:

Originally posted by MikeSquared
This is a discount for DVC owners and their immediate family's. This is not a discount for their extended family, guests, Friends or neighbors. [...]
First, it's my understanding that Disney already has a definition of "immediate family" which includes parents & children, grand-parents & -children, siblings, etc. However, even if you use a strict interpretation, I can't see how my son does not qualify as my immediate family. Fortunately, he's graduated college, is self-supporting and on his own (different address); however, that means no AP discount for my son -> immediate family.

Important note: I'm NOT complaining - I put a big "Thank You!" in the "Thank you!" thread on the DVC-CB. I'm just remarking on the various inconsistancies and contradictions of the eligibility requirements. In my mind, it's one giant "Who's on first".

It's not fingerprints, it's just biometrics with finger lengths and the like. What I don't know is how long the computer remembers the info.

I know It remembers it months later, I've been in December and then not again till August and it remembers me. If it doesn't work, then I must show a picture id and they reset it. If the name on the ID and the picture of the person trying to use the pass does not match. They will not reset it.

Originally posted by sgtpet
Ah. For all my years of complaining about what about us, DVC shows up in a big wave. Let me say this. Thank you DVC for paying attention to our desires as DVC members. I am very impressed with the discount on annual passes.

I agree that it should be to the DVC owner/members and their immediate family. We are the ones that put a lot of money into DVC so we should get the discount.

Brillant and just thinking. The change in DVC management is paying off.

:earsboy:
Let me take a slightly different approach. While Disney could have given nothing or next to it, I think this is the minimum they could offer and I'd feel like they were really doing something. I still think they should offer the seasonal passes and play 4 tickets to members. While I appreciate it up to a point, I think this is the least they could have done and it's at least 4 years late in coming. And lest one thinks it's sour grapes, I am a FL resident so I already have basically all they are giving now AND what I think they should offer. But of course they aren't bound to do so and without any discount, we are getting what we paid for. The ones I feel sorry for are the ones that were promised a "substantially equivalent park option" once the free passes ran out. But we already know that the promises of a timeshare sales person aren't worth the paper they aren't written on.

Originally posted by TDC Nala
Can you only get the DVC discount if you buy through the DVC website? What about renewals?

That might also make it difficult or impossible to use Disney Visa rewards to buy these passes.

You can buy the passes directly at guest relations at the parks and I am pretty sure they accept Disney Visa rewards there.

Originally posted by Mary Anne
I know It remembers it months later, I've been in December and then not again till August and it remembers me. If it doesn't work, then I must show a picture id and they reset it. If the name on the ID and the picture of the person trying to use the pass does not match. They will not reset it.

Not only will they not reset it, they can confiscate the pass.

Originally posted by Dean
While Disney could have given nothing or next to it, I think this is the minimum they could offer and I'd feel like they were really doing something.

It will also be interesting to see if they keep the discount percentage the same in following years. Or, will they still give you $100 off as the ticket prices increase. With each successive year the percentage of the discount will shrink. I notice it is not being announced or promoted as a percentage, but as a dollar amount.

A lot of companies are going to a similar type of thing when it comes to benefits. I remember a few years back when Sam's Club changed from allowing Associate members of your immediate family, regardless of residence, to be added to your account to only allowing family members who actually lived in the same residence to be on the account (actually, I think they changed it to be members of your household regardless of relationship as long as they lived in the same house). As our society has changed, so have some of the traditional ways of handling perks that were previously easy to define and distinguish. DVC is going through this issue right now with these passes.

Originally posted by Doctor P
A lot of companies are going to a similar type of thing when it comes to benefits. I remember a few years back when Sam's Club changed from allowing Associate members of your immediate family, regardless of residence, to be added to your account to only allowing family members who actually lived in the same residence to be on the account (actually, I think they changed it to be members of your household regardless of relationship as long as they lived in the same house). As our society has changed, so have some of the traditional ways of handling perks that were previously easy to define and distinguish. DVC is going through this issue right now with these passes.
I'd be willing to bet that it has/had less to do with society changing and more to do with ease and cost of verification. Immediate family w/different addresses = birth certificates, etc. Anybody w/same address = driver's licenses.

This is a discount for DVC owners and their immediate family's. This is not a discount for their extended family, guests, Friends or neighbors. Why should Disney allow your guest to get a discount on a ticket they could then use at any time for a year when you (the DVC owner) are not there?

Mikesquared...I totally agree with your thoughts.

I was confused when I started reading this thread about all the different scenerios people were sharing concerning what the rules might be.

The DVC web site is quite clear concerning eligibility and I think its fair, structured for the "family" and have no problem with it.

I'm thankful it wasn't stated: "1 discount per DVC member card"!!

Everyone has different requirements and requests. Lets be thankful for this perk and keep it "special" for us DVCers

BTW...I wouldn't be using this perk too much and not next year.

::yes:: ::yes::

Dr. Tomorrow--I agree with you, and the ease of administration/accuracy of administration is the real point, regardless of why ultimately households have changed and even made this an issue (point is that you were more likely many years ago to have families living together at a single address, so the immediate family thing generally worked the same or similar to same address--now the same address thing is more necessary for ease of administration).

Originally posted by MikeSquared
Do you think those who rent out their points should be able to buy their "guests" a discounted pass? I don't think so...

This is reason why I stated in my original post that the DVC member must be present (no exception) when presenting the exchange certificate for their guest. This would prevent those who rent from buying their guest a discount pass

QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeSquared
Why should Disney allow your guest to get a discount on a ticket they could then use at any time for a year when you (the DVC owner) are not there?[/QUOTE]

You must remember that everyone has different reasons for purchasing DVC and how they plan to use it. We don't have any children. I purchased DVC to spend vacation time with my extended family members (sisters, nieces, nephews, father, stepmother, stepsister, inlaws etc). Disney vacations are expensive so I've paid for some family members airfare and park tickets therefore it would save me money if this could be extend beyond the immediate household. My extended family members would rarely go back to Disney when I'm not there. Most of my extended family members like to see and do other things on vacation not spend all of their time at Disney.

You must remember that everyone has different reasons for purchasing DVC and how they plan to use it. We don't have any children. I purchased DVC to spend vacation time with my extended family members (sisters, nieces, nephews, father, stepmother, stepsister, inlaws etc). Disney vacations are expensive so I've paid for some family members airfare and park tickets therefore it would save me money if this could be extend beyond the immediate household. My extended family members would rarely go back to Disney when I'm not there. Most of my extended family members like to see and do other things on vacation not spend all of their time at Disney.

But the point is, you did NOT get ANY discount on AP's for the entire time you have owned DVC. Now you are getting a discount on SOME tickets. You may be kind enough to send Aunt Sally to Disney using your points and that is great for her. But, if you aren't with her, then the cost of an AP is not going to be discounted. From the time you purchased your DVC up until Jan. 2, 2005 this has always been the case. It won't cost you anymore then it does now. The only difference is if you go with Aunt Sally, you can save yourself even more money when you buy her ticket.

Lisa

Originally posted by LisaR
The only difference is if you go with Aunt Sally, you can save yourself even more money when you buy her ticket.
Lisa

This is my point. Aunt Sally would always go with me. I purchased DVC to spend time with my extended family during my vacation time not to send family on vacations without me

We've got one adult DS (and hopefully, a DDIL and DGS/DGD in the future :p ). Since we're SSR owners with 49 years in our contract, we'd planned on adding DS to the deed eventually. However, if the "same household" rules will be applied, then it makes sense to do this ASAP - then, as a member, he'll get a Blue Card and he - and future wife/children - can get the discounts, too.

I know I've seen this question answered here before, but I confess I didn't pay attention, as the issue wasn't as immediate as it is now. I seem to remember that there is a closing and recording activity, with associated fees; I'm less clear if a ROFR is involved. Would someone please summarize the process of adding someone to the deed; specifically, a child?

Thanks!

This is my point. Aunt Sally would always go with me. I purchased DVC to spend time with my extended family during my vacation time not to send family on vacations without me
We purchased it to do both. While we certainly plan on DW and I using the vast majority of our points, we also hope to share our good fortune with friends and family, and sometimes we won't be there. For example, we hope to gift DS and future DDIL with a DVC Honeymoon trip - we certainly won't be along for that! :p (But they probably won't need Annual Passes, either :o ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter