Grand Californian Super Thread

are all standard rooms renovated now? seems like they are working on park view rooms now?
i want to try to limit the number of room requests I make

We will be there at 7:30 am on Sunday sept 10th. I hope it's quick checkin at club level but am still not anticipating being in the hotel line for dca until 8. What has hotel line been like at that time? Is it still better to go out through dd and enter that way? Will I be checked in faster at club? I'm worried with recent news that they are cutting September hours. Thanks for any advice.
Please report back!

We will be there at 7:30 am on Sunday sept 10th. I hope it's quick checkin at club level but am still not anticipating being in the hotel line for dca until 8. What has hotel line been like at that time? Is it still better to go out through dd and enter that way? Will I be checked in faster at club?...
Sunday is a busy day, typically half the rooms change guests -- although check in should not be too busy that early.
Check your luggage with bell services directly from your car or taxi, avoid bringing them inside (where there can be a wait for service).

Go to the 6th floor and check in with dedicated Club Level Guest Services. Although you want to make EMH, take a few minutes and grab a snack in the lounge. The lounge renovation was scheduled to being in August, but has been delayed to September 16 (according to lounge CM this past weekend).

Security changes that restrict the front entrance to GCH guests has reduced lines at the GCH entrance to DCA, but for EMH it is likely still better to go through DTD to the main gate.

When I spoke to group reservations about the Dapper week reservations, I wanted to request a renovated room for my stay Nov 1-4, she said the renovation would be finished by mid October for sure.
We are also visiting for Dapper Day, so I hope that information is correct.

My guess at renovation progress:
Most of the front of the hotel is complete, which includes the majority of Standard View rooms (GREEN).
Some rooms surround the lobby are done, but perhaps not all (no color).
(Hallway carpet has not been replaced in some areas)
The rooms above World of Disney are actively being renovated (RED).
(I think this part only recently started, so perhaps a month to complete)
Rooms above Storytellers and near Grizzly Peak have not been done (YELLOW).

Rooms near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose, will also likely be near construction.

map_gch_2aug17.jpg

Please report back!
Will do!

Sunday is a busy day, typically half the rooms change guests -- although check in should not be too busy that early.
Check your luggage with bell services directly from your car or taxi, avoid bringing them inside (where there can be a wait for service).

Go to the 6th floor and check in with dedicated Club Level Guest Services. Although you want to make EMH, take a few minutes and grab a snack in the lounge. The lounge renovation was scheduled to being in August, but has been delayed to September 16 (according to lounge CM this past weekend).

Security changes that restrict the front entrance to GCH guests has reduced lines at the GCH entrance to DCA, but for EMH it is likely still better to go through DTD to the main gate.

Thank you so much...that's great news about club lounge!

So excited we are booked for two weekends; one in Dec and one in March. We live locally now, 8 miles away, but cannot wait to be in the Disney bubble.

I am booked in a premium CL room at GCH in a few weeks; Looking at the map progress, are chances of a renovated room would be higher with pool view vs theme park view?

I am booked in a deluxe partial park view next weekend. Looking at nonsuch's recent visit info, it seems that there isn't really a chance to get a remodeled room, those seem to be in the middle of redo now. Would I have better luck with a woods view? We've stayed several times and having a view is super but I'd rather experience a new room - without having to book a standard. Any thoughts suggestions? Thanks!!

we Stayed at GC last 4 times and each time asked the concierge (we stayed concierge last 4 times there) to book some reservations for us, NOT ONCE were they able to secure one for us. so I would book something else as well just incase the hotel doesnt come through.
This is NOT the concierge. It's a pre-planning service for before your trip for all Disneyland resort hotel guests. I would never rely on the GCH CL concierge to book something for you, they have no special access to the systems.

I am booked in a premium CL room at GCH in a few weeks; Looking at the map progress, are chances of a renovated room would be higher with pool view vs theme park view?
If you want a remodeled room, you will likely receive a pool view.
The lounge is on the 6th floor (BLUE rectangle), so remodeled pool view rooms on the 6th floor would be the most convenient (ORANGE). I'm not sure the rooms next to the lobby (Great Hall) have been remodeled.
There are remodeled park view rooms in the DVC wing (GREEN), but a rather long walk from the lounge (and no 6th floor rooms). Other park view rooms are under renovation (RED) or not renovated (YELLOW).
I am booked in a deluxe partial park view next weekend. Looking at nonsuch's recent visit info, it seems that there isn't really a chance to get a remodeled room, those seem to be in the middle of redo now. Would I have better luck with a woods view?...
If you want a remodeled park view room it will face Goofy's Sky School (GREEN).

map_gch_4aug17.jpg

If you want a remodeled room, you will likely receive a pool view.
The lounge is on the 6th floor (BLUE rectangle), so remodeled pool view rooms on the 6th floor would be the most convenient (ORANGE). I'm not sure the rooms next to the lobby (Great Hall) have been remodeled.
There are remodeled park view rooms in the DVC wing (GREEN), but a rather long walk from the lounge (and no 6th floor rooms). Other park view rooms are under renovation (RED) or not renovated (YELLOW).

If you want a remodeled park view room it will face Goofy's Sky School (GREEN).

View attachment 259038

Thank you so much for the info and the great maps! lol I will probably put my request for bedding first (3 beds), remodeled room and view last.

We booked a standard room at Grand Californian for October. What is the likelihood we could get a remodeled room? Is there a better chance with the pool views? Or DTD view? Or is it all just a gamble?

We had booked a standard room. When we arrived on Tuesday, Aug. 1, she said she had a queen and two bunk beds. She said they would not be around much longer ... I don't recall if she gave a specific timeframe, though.
I asked if perhaps we could have a remodeled room instead. She talked to someone in the back and came back and told us, yes, but we would have to wait.
They paged us later and when we returned to the room it was 5138 ... view of the courtyard and had a balcony - so an upgrade from standard, I think?
Very nice surprise! It was two queens with a small sofa that did not appear to pull out or switch to daybed ... just a small sofa.

We booked a standard room at Grand Californian for October. What is the likelihood we could get a remodeled room? Is there a better chance with the pool views? Or DTD view? Or is it all just a gamble?
Most Standard View rooms are at the front of the hotel, and most (perhaps all) of those rooms have been remodeled. When you visit in October, most rooms of all view types will be remodeled (based on current progress, and a recent post about mid-October completion).

We had booked a standard room. When we arrived on Tuesday, Aug. 1, she said she had a queen and two bunk beds. She said they would not be around much longer...
Bunk beds are being eliminated as part of the remodel.

...They paged us later and when we returned to the room it was 5138 ... view of the courtyard and had a balcony - so an upgrade from standard, I think?...
Woods/Courtyard is an upgrade over Standard, but the price difference is usually quite small. Some discounts only apply to upgraded views, which can result in Woods/Courtyard being cheaper than Standard.

...It was two queens with a small sofa that did not appear to pull out or switch to daybed ... just a small sofa.
2 queen beds and a sofa is likely to be the most common configuration (post-remodel).
2 queen beds and a convertible sofa (daybed) will also be relatively common (one post predicts 300 rooms, certainly more than the original 39).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter