Grand Californian Super Thread

I'm checking in on Saturday and we have a standard view, hearing accessible room booked. Any idea where the room is located and if it's renovated or not?

just put my requests in for our standard room booking in late August! renovated, two queen bed, high floor -- fingers crossed and pixie dust!!!

Does anyone have a recent photo or list of the room service menu? The one I saw on allears was quite old (2014), so I wasn't sure how accurate it was anymore.

My daughter is having a birthday sleepover with 6 of her friends in September. This week I was able to snag two cabanas and breakfast at Storytellers café! I've been planning this birthday for 11 months ever since I was able to book our DVC villa! Now lets pray we have good pool weather! We are locals and most of the time the end of September is still warm.

I'm checking in on Saturday and we have a standard view, hearing accessible room booked. Any idea where the room is located and if it's renovated or not?
There is no map of Handicap Accessible room locations, but most Standard View rooms have been renovated.
There might not be specific rooms, since Hearing Accessible features can often be added to any room.

There is no map of Handicap Accessible room locations, but most Standard View rooms have been renovated.
There might not be specific rooms, since Hearing Accessible features can often be added to any room.
Oh ok, thanks! We don't need the accessible features, but it was the only room available on short notice. It'll be a nice surprise if we have a renovated room though

I am so excited, we are coming to DLR for Christmas and New Years (first time) and we are extremely excited about it....well DH and I are, we aren't telling the kiddos until 2 weeks out since this is our one and only Christmas present to all of us. We originally had a room package at PPH booked but we decided to switch and stay at the GCH for our stay :banana:, and booked a courtyard/woods view. I am wondering (I am very sorry if this has already been discussed before), where exactly are these rooms located? I am wanting to make a room request (yes I know it is only a request not a guaranteed) but not sure what to request. I typically like to get highest floor possible because the balcony is such an important factor for me (love having my morning coffee as I am sitting out on my balcony enjoying life). I actually would not mind... check that... would love to have a room where you can watch the monorail go whizzing by (I just love watching the monorail). Any suggestions would be appreciated :goodvibes.

I am so excited, we are coming to DLR for Christmas and New Years (first time) and we are extremely excited about it....well DH and I are, we aren't telling the kiddos until 2 weeks out since this is our one and only Christmas present to all of us. We originally had a room package at PPH booked but we decided to switch and stay at the GCH for our stay :banana:, and booked a courtyard/woods view. I am wondering (I am very sorry if this has already been discussed before), where exactly are these rooms located? I am wanting to make a room request (yes I know it is only a request not a guaranteed) but not sure what to request. I typically like to get highest floor possible because the balcony is such an important factor for me (love having my morning coffee as I am sitting out on my balcony enjoying life). I actually would not mind... check that... would love to have a room where you can watch the monorail go whizzing by (I just love watching the monorail). Any suggestions would be appreciated :goodvibes.

I don't know a lot about the rooms, but when I had a woods/courtyard view, we got to see the monorail. I do know, however, that some of the rooms surrounding the monorail don't have balconies so maybe make sure you request one!

Like the PP above me, my family and I have decided to do our first family trip during the holidays. I went with my dad this last November and I knew I had to take my kids this year to see the magic of the holiday season!

After reading a lot on this thread, I decided that I wanted a DtD view instead of a "Premium View" because that could be park view or pool view...which I would want to know I was getting a park view if I paid that much. Plus, I heard good things about the DtD view and was quite excited about it!

After some "Disney soul searching", I decided that I just MUST add CL to our stay. However, when I called, they said it could only be added to standard view or Premium view because they were on the 6th floor (duh, hadn't thought about that!) I reluctantly changed it to Premium View with a request for park view, but it was at a rather steep cost increase; whereas the change from a DtD View to a stand view room WITH CL, wasn't all that bad.

So...my question is...are the standard view CL rooms ever not looking out at a parking lot? Views aren't exceptionally important to me, but I don't want to overlook a parking lot! Any advice?? I definitely want to keep the CL now because I'm sold on it, but I'm disappointed it can't be DtD view....

I don't know a lot about the rooms, but when I had a woods/courtyard view, we got to see the monorail. I do know, however, that some of the rooms surrounding the monorail don't have balconies so maybe make sure you request one!

Thank you, I will definitely request a balcony :thumbsup2

...my question is...are the standard view CL rooms ever not looking out at a parking lot? Views aren't exceptionally important to me, but I don't want to overlook a parking lot! Any advice?? I definitely want to keep the CL now because I'm sold on it, but I'm disappointed it can't be DtD view....
Rather than calling it a Parking Lot view, perhaps Sunset view would make you less "disappointed" :goodvibes
gch_parking_view.jpg

Photo is over 5 years old, so trees block the parking lot even more.

CL rooms will usually be on the 6th or 5th floors, close to the lounge (on the 6th). Premium view CL rooms will have a pool or park view. My unofficial definition: Standard view CL rooms could have any view NOT pool or park view. Many rooms close to the lounge overlook the courtyard, and are likely always assigned as Standard view CL.

You could always request a DTD view. The rooms above World of Disney (half the DTD view rooms) are under renovation, but those rooms are rather far from the lounge.

...I typically like to get highest floor possible because the balcony is such an important factor for me (love having my morning coffee as I am sitting out on my balcony enjoying life). I actually would not mind... check that... would love to have a room where you can watch the monorail go whizzing by (I just love watching the monorail). Any suggestions would be appreciated :goodvibes.
You have selected the best room category for a view of the monorail :thumbsup2
The monorail passes through the courtyard, approximately at the 2nd floor.

You might try a simple request: View of the monorail, top floor (or high floor)

Path of monorail (RED line)
Courtyard view, all floors (GREEN, YELLOW)
Woods view, lower floors (ORANGE)

5th floor is the top floor in the Green area.
6th floor is the top floor in the Yellow area, often assigned to Club Level.
The Orange area is likely a mix of Woods and Park view.

map_gch monorail.jpg

Just checked out and am headed back to the airport :sad:

We had a wonderful stay at the Grand. We were in two connecting standard view rooms which had not been renovated yet (rooms 3201 & 3203). They were however the most conveniently located rooms we've ever had staying there and having connecting rooms was more important to us.

...We were in two connecting standard view rooms which had not been renovated yet (rooms 3201 & 3203). They were however the most conveniently located rooms we've ever had staying there and having connecting rooms was more important to us.
Thanks for the update, I suspected those rooms near the lobby had not been renovated -- the hallway carpets have not been updated.
Connected daybed rooms is magical :wizard:

Connected daybed rooms is magical :wizard:

It really was! With 4 kids and my parents it was nice to be able to spread out a little bit.

Do you know if they're keeping them as daybed rooms post renovation? I would love to request them again for our next stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter