Give me the honest truth about Christmas events at Disney - what to do?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I was so excited a few days ago when MIL announced our trip next fall, that we could go celebrate "Christmas at Disney" - doing the MVMCP and Candlelight Processional, then I figured we might as well splurge and get 2 day hoppers, so we can do JBJB, too.

But since then, reading various threads and reports on this board have me thinking it may not be such a good idea after all. So, I need the truth about Disney during Christmas time, especially wait times. My youngest has ASD and is just not capable of waiting in line for much more than 30 minutes. Even my oldest isn't going to want to spend time standing in line for anything more than an hour.

So....

Candlelight Processional - I'm seeing comments that to get in on standby (without a dining package), we could realistically need to be standing in line 1-2 hours? Is this true? We would be attending mid-week, early December. Are all shows equally busy, or are the later ones less busy etc? If we bought the dining package, what time do we need to get in line, then?

MVMCP - I'm not as concerned about ride waits, since we would use our 3 FP+ for our big "must dos", and then would be content with whatever we could do after that. Also, the main reason we're going isn't the rides anyways, but the shows. Which brings us to: how early would we need to be getting spot for a good viewing of the parade (probably the late parade), fireworks, the Tomorrowland and the main stage Christmas shows? How bad is the line for Jack Skellington? Is there any chance of meeting him with only a 30 minute wait?

JBJB - Again, same question, for this show, to have a good viewing area (we don't need perfect, but definitely decent), at what time would we need to be getting a spot? If we bought the dining package, how does that affect line up time?

For all of these - would we be allowed to have my son and I wait in line while my MIL takes my youngest on a ride or two, and then rejoins us in line? Or would the crowds hang us?

I was so happy, but I'm seeing I need to start realistically evaluating whether this is actually going to work for my youngest, especially since it looks like her DAS card will not do her any good for these events. We definitely can't afford dining packages/hard tickets for all of these, so, it may mean picking and choosing.

I can only comment on JBJB as I haven't done the other two. For JBJB, no you don't need to be there 30 minutes early. Sure, if you want THE prime section you'd need to be there that early. But we were there for Thanksgiving and showed up maybe 15 minutes early and were fine.

I'm seeing comments that to get in on standby (without a dining package), we could realistically need to be standing in line 1-2 hours?

Depends on who is narrating- 2 hours won't be enough for some people.

If we bought the dining package, what time do we need to get in line, then?

Again, depends. Popular narrators 45 minutes or more for choice of seats (except NPH- then much longer)

Which brings us to: how early would we need to be getting spot for a good viewing of the parade (probably the late parade), fireworks, the Tomorrowland and the main stage Christmas shows?

1 hour minumum- late parade not as long. Same with Tomorrowland- not quite as long ahead of time. For the parades, shows, etc- on sold out nights- the hub area is equivalent to a 8/10 day or more. An hour will get you a decent view- but the hub gets 'camped out' for that stuff much earlier. We won't do it again- WAY oversold IMHO.

Or would the crowds hang us?

Wouldn't recommend it- depends on how well you handle confrontation. Some people let it slide- many others will not. I have seen some pretty aggressive behavior around this issue- as it isn't fair to the other families waiting in line. If everyone did this- there would be no way for people to estimate when to get in line- which is what you are asking us to do for you.

You may want to call the Guest Relations Disability line and see if they have something in place for your type of situation.

Candlelight Processional - I'm seeing comments that to get in on standby (without a dining package), we could realistically need to be standing in line 1-2 hours? Is this true? We would be attending mid-week, early December. Are all shows equally busy, or are the later ones less busy etc? If we bought the dining package, what time do we need to get in line, then?

MVMCP - I'm not as concerned about ride waits, since we would use our 3 FP+ for our big "must dos", and then would be content with whatever we could do after that. Also, the main reason we're going isn't the rides anyways, but the shows. Which brings us to: how early would we need to be getting spot for a good viewing of the parade (probably the late parade), fireworks, the Tomorrowland and the main stage Christmas shows? How bad is the line for Jack Skellington? Is there any chance of meeting him with only a 30 minute wait?

CP is completely dependent on the narrator. If it's Whoopi or Neil Patrick Harris, then you will be in standby for many hours. With a dining package, if you don't want to be behind a tree, you'll need to be in line 40 min to an hour early. If the narrator is someone less well known, your dining package time to be in line could probably go down to 30 min, but 40-45 is still better. Standby is a guessing game for every show, every narrator.

Jack Skellington is one of the most popular characters to meet at the party. Check the MVMCP threads for strategies and waits for this year, but my guess is there isn't a time during the night that the wait is less than 30 min. As for the shows, there is no wait really and you can see fairly well without being front and center.

I think you really need to think about whether or not your son can handle the candlelight processional. There's not only the waiting time (which will depend on who the narrator is,) but the processional itself. It's a very solemn performance and your son will need to sit still and be very quiet the whole time. A lot of kids would find that difficult, but the fact that you say that your son won't be able to stand in line for even 30 minutes makes me think that you will just be asking way too much of him

I think you really need to think about whether or not your son can handle the candlelight processional. There's not only the waiting time (which will depend on who the narrator is,) but the processional itself. It's a very solemn performance and your son will need to sit still and be very quiet the whole time. A lot of kids would find that difficult, but the fact that you say that your son won't be able to stand in line for even 30 minutes makes me think that you will just be asking way too much of him

My youngest is a girl :) They would both be fine with the processional itself. Watching a show is a very different thing than standing in a crowded line doing nothing.

Depends on the dates. If you are talking 12/25-12/31, Abandon ship!!!

The week before or after are way more manageable. I'm a seasoned vet, and almost got talked into doing the 12/25-12/31 time frame, until I re grounded myself by googling images of crowds during that time.

60 minute IASW wait says all you need to know....

Just my two cents....I would chuck all of these things. Just focus on the parks. You only have two days. There is so much to do just in the parks.

For the holiday stuff, I would focus on seeing the castle lit up (if you get to see the lighting show great, if not, no worries). The castle lit up is something to see. The parks are all decorated. Just enjoy it

Just my two cents....I would chuck all of these things. Just focus on the parks. You only have two days. There is so much to do just in the parks.

For the holiday stuff, I would focus on seeing the castle lit up (if you get to see the lighting show great, if not, no worries). The castle lit up is something to see. The parks are all decorated. Just enjoy it
Totally agree. The shows are great if you have lots of other time in the parks, or can stumble across a place to watch without a big time investment. But I have to think it would just be frustrating for kids to give up park time seeing the shows on such a short trip.

I think this is excellent advice. IMHO, Jingle Bell Jingle Bam was a yawner last year unless it's changed. Most lines won't be longer than 30 minutes. Getting to the parks when they open and using FP+ later in the day will make sure you hit almost every attraction you want to do.

IMHO, there's too much to see and do during this time than center the trip around various shows. MVMCP is the only thing I would do other than just visit the parks. The kids will most likely prefer the Magic Kingdom parades, caslte light show, and fireworks vs. Candlelight Processional. Just a guess.

The whole point of the trip was for the Christmas shows etc... We've got local parks here with rides the kids enjoy just as much as Disney's.

We've been the second weekend in Dec. and the crowds were manageable. Less crowded than when we were there in late August. We had 3 day PH and also went to primarily do the Christmas stuff. We made fastpasses for the rides we really wanted to do and figured anything else was just a bonus. We had a blast.

We've been the second weekend in Dec. and the crowds were manageable. Less crowded than when we were there in late August. We had 3 day PH and also went to primarily do the Christmas stuff. We made fastpasses for the rides we really wanted to do and figured anything else was just a bonus. We had a blast.

Did you do the things I listed in my post? What were the waits like?

The whole point of the trip was for the Christmas shows etc... We've got local parks here with rides the kids enjoy just as much as Disney's.

Oh well if you have local parks that are so good that the kids love, I would just do those if this seems too hard right now. That's great.

I was so excited a few days ago when MIL announced our trip next fall, that we could go celebrate "Christmas at Disney" - doing the MVMCP and Candlelight Processional, then I figured we might as well splurge and get 2 day hoppers, so we can do JBJB, too.

But since then, reading various threads and reports on this board have me thinking it may not be such a good idea after all. So, I need the truth about Disney during Christmas time, especially wait times. My youngest has ASD and is just not capable of waiting in line for much more than 30 minutes. Even my oldest isn't going to want to spend time standing in line for anything more than an hour.

So....

JBJB - Again, same question, for this show, to have a good viewing area (we don't need perfect, but definitely decent), at what time would we need to be getting a spot? If we bought the dining package, how does that affect line up time?

For all of these - would we be allowed to have my son and I wait in line while my MIL takes my youngest on a ride or two, and then rejoins us in line? Or would the crowds hang us?

I was so happy, but I'm seeing I need to start realistically evaluating whether this is actually going to work for my youngest, especially since it looks like her DAS card will not do her any good for these events. We definitely can't afford dining packages/hard tickets for all of these, so, it may mean picking and choosing.

My DS10 has multiple developmental disabilities and uses the DAS pass. We've been to WDW both during Christmas week and the week before AND will be leaving for our next trip this upcoming Saturday. Yes! It can be done!!

Here's my advice: Do a Candlelight Processional dining package. You have to eat anyway, right? Even if it's one of the cheaper breakfast ones. It will shorten your line wait time and guarantee you a good seat. If you get in line and your youngest needs to take a walk or a break, I would have one adult take her out and simply let the people around you know that she is going to the bathroom or going for a little walk and will be back. In a line like that, I really don't think anyone will care. They only sell a limited number of spots for the dining package, so it's not like going in and out of the line will not enable others to get a seat.

MVMCP - Yes, use the 3 FP+ and the DAS prior to the party. We will be entering on a regular ticket at 1 pm on the day we go and I have it planned out that we will most likely be able to get 3 FP+ rides plus 2 DAS rides in before the party starts. That's usually enough for DS. We are doing the bigger rides first and then, if we feel like it, we will do smaller, walk-on rides during the party as there will be no FP+ or DAS. For the late parade, you could probably find a spot 30 minutes prior. If you go to Frontierland/Liberty Square, the parade will pass by there first and will lessen your wait time (we learned this during MNSSHP when we got to Main St. to wait and it took 15-20 minutes for the parade to pass by. DS kept checking the clock thinking the parade wasn't coming). The fireworks can be seen well from anywhere in the Hub/Main St. area (for MNSSHP we got there about 20 minutes before and just sat down and played Heads Up while we waited). I think for Tomorrowland and the Main stage show, 15 - 20 minutes would be fine. You will probably need to line up for Jack Skellington early and get that done first. I highly recommend reading through the current MVMCP thread on these boards to get a better idea of when to line up for Jack. There are plenty of reports of people taking turns in the character lines and taking their children out to walk around and take breaks. I would, again, simply explain to the people around you that they are taking a little break and will be back.

JBJB - you could book the dessert party for this, but I don't think it's necessary. Especially mid-December, I think you could find a spot 15 - 20 minutes ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter