• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Give me the honest truth about Christmas events at Disney - what to do?

Here's my advice: Do a Candlelight Processional dining package. You have to eat anyway, right? Even if it's one of the cheaper breakfast ones. It will shorten your line wait time and guarantee you a good seat. If you get in line and your youngest needs to take a walk or a break, I would have one adult take her out and simply let the people around you know that she is going to the bathroom or going for a little walk and will be back. In a line like that, I really don't think anyone will care. They only sell a limited number of spots for the dining package, so it's not like going in and out of the line will not enable others to get a seat.

MVMCP - Yes, use the 3 FP+ and the DAS prior to the party. We will be entering on a regular ticket at 1 pm on the day we go and I have it planned out that we will most likely be able to get 3 FP+ rides plus 2 DAS rides in before the party starts. That's usually enough for DS. We are doing the bigger rides first and then, if we feel like it, we will do smaller, walk-on rides during the party as there will be no FP+ or DAS. For the late parade, you could probably find a spot 30 minutes prior. If you go to Frontierland/Liberty Square, the parade will pass by there first and will lessen your wait time (we learned this during MNSSHP when we got to Main St. to wait and it took 15-20 minutes for the parade to pass by. DS kept checking the clock thinking the parade wasn't coming). The fireworks can be seen well from anywhere in the Hub/Main St. area (for MNSSHP we got there about 20 minutes before and just sat down and played Heads Up while we waited). I think for Tomorrowland and the Main stage show, 15 - 20 minutes would be fine. You will probably need to line up for Jack Skellington early and get that done first. I highly recommend reading through the current MVMCP thread on these boards to get a better idea of when to line up for Jack. There are plenty of reports of people taking turns in the character lines and taking their children out to walk around and take breaks. I would, again, simply explain to the people around you that they are taking a little break and will be back.

JBJB - you could book the dessert party for this, but I don't think it's necessary. Especially mid-December, I think you could find a spot 15 - 20 minutes ahead of time.

Thanks! Appreciate the insight. Curious, if you're on a dining plan, can you use your TS credits to purchase the dining packages for Candlelight/JBJB, or no?

Thanks! Appreciate the insight. Curious, if you're on a dining plan, can you use your TS credits to purchase the dining packages for Candlelight/JBJB, or no?

There is no dining package for JBJB, and you really don't need to do the dessert party. The area from which you can see this is HUGE. If you decide you want to do the dessert party, you cannot use DDP credits for that; you will pay OOP for each person.

You can use your dining credits for CP dining package, but EVERY meal will cost you 2 TS credits per person, so it may not be worth it, depending on where you eat.

I was there last week, so will give you my perspective:

1> Candlelight Processional - Jodi Benson on 12/6. Standby lines started getting big about 1 hour before. You could have got a seat if you were in line 45 mins from start (I think)
Bonus - I was more into the Christmas tradition narrators of each country (with Norway, Italy and France being the best) and I would HIGHLY encourage you to do those. Your little angel will love those. Specially geared towards the kids and are 15 mins long about every hour starting at 11.
2> MVMCP - Meh. They are now selling too many tickets and (only IMO) not worth it.
3> JBJM - Kinda fun and you have lots of spots to watch it. Caution.... even the "prime" spot has 2 huge palm trees in between. I watched the first 15 mins from very up front and then moved to the back of the park so as to get out early and catch the MK show. Both spots were good enough to watch and had no issues.
Bonus - Make SURE you see the Sunset Blvd show. Hollywood TOT is an absolute beauty when lit up with the synchronized music. A must do. It starts around 6 and goes on till 8.

Have fun and Merry Christmas (early) to you.

So, I'll give the alternative opinion on pretty much everything that's been mentioned so far about holidays at Disney.

1. Candlelight Processional - to me, it's about experiencing the event ... not so much having a great view. It's the narrator sitting/standing behind a lectern and then a large choir behind them. I don't wait in line for a seat and have had no problem walking up to the standing area behind stroller parking to get a decent view of the show (even for NPH). Here's my view from the second show of CP (featuring Jodi Benson) on Christmas night 2016:

IMG_4916 (1).jpg

Because of the nature of the show, even if you're standing in the back you don't really run into the problem of people standing up/dancing/jumping up and down like you do for, say, Eat to the Beat concerts. Honestly, I've even sat back on the fountain and have still had a moving experience just listening to the beautiful music and story, and taking in a large scene of the holidays at Epcot.

And the storytellers in the countries are not to be missed ... along with all the Holiday Kitchens. I'd definitely rather spend money eating from the holiday kitchens, listening to holiday tales from around the world than paying with they're charging for a CP dining package and then waiting in line for a seat ... and then waiting once you get that seat for the show to start. It just takes an unnecessary chunk of time for a small value add of being able to sit down.

If your youngest gets restless while standing and listening to the music (I mean - that's the show ... there isn't dancing or anything), there is a VERY legit Santa and Mrs. Claus meet & greet in the America Pavilion by the restrooms:

IMG_4860.JPG

You can still hear the music from Candlelight Processional while waiting in line to meet the Mr. and Mrs.!

Also - don't miss the Voices of Liberty doing a "caroling" set! I've grown to look forward more to seeing Voices of Liberty and the Gospel group in FutureWorld than CP lately!

2. MVMCP - For Sandy Claws, that's going to be hard and possibly impossible. People line up for him and the Dwarves starting at 4 p.m. and they haven't been starting meets until 6:15-6:30 this year, which means it's a two-hour wait and the line is often closed shortly after the official start of the party. My friends got the Seven Dwarves in about 45 minutes this year, but they got in line right before 10 when the fireworks were starting and waited in line through the second parade.

Fireworks are perimeter fireworks, so that enlarges the viewing area to see the fireworks. But if you want primo viewing for the parade and fireworks, you're going to need to allot at least 30 minutes each to wait for a spot (closer to an hour for fireworks in the Hub).

Personally, I decided not to go to the party this year as I just don't see any value in it any longer. They're all very crowded and it just amounts to paying ~$100 to see a parade and fireworks, and for my $$ I'd rather spend that money at Cali Grill or somewhere at the Poly and watch the fireworks from afar.

But different strokes! I'm just not willing to wait in line for anything over 20-30 minutes.

3. JBJB - This is going to be the easiest of the three ... again, if you don't have to be in a primo area (I actually prefer to stand a little bit back to take in everything), you can probably walk up to the area around 15 minutes before showtime and get a good spot. I think the holiday decorations at DHS are absolutely ADORABLE this year. I love the vintage ornaments hanging around the Christmas tree in the lake. And I would DEFINITELY plan to spend some serious time strolling Sunset Boulevard at night (with hot chocolate or a sweet treat!) to catch the different "Sunset Season's Greetings" shows. We went to the preview and there was even "snoap" like they do during MVMCP ... so if you skip MVMCP, at least you can experience "snoap"!

You didn't mention it but ... 4. Disney Springs - they're really beefing up the holiday entertainment at Disney Springs! I enjoyed the tree trail last year, but it's even bigger this year. And there are carolers as well as other holiday entertainment. It's definitely a way to cut cost, but still enjoy the holidays at WDW.

Don't forget monorail/resort-hoping to see the Gingerbread House at GF, the chocolate carousel at Beach Club, the train set at Yacht Club, etc.

Anyway ... just my take. I definitely feel like you can accomplish all you want to do with the limitations and concerns you have! If the goal is to just "experience" the Holidays at WDW, you'll be able to do it no problem with just a little planning and some flexibility. If the goal is to have the perfect seat and experience everywhere, well ... it's going to be a lot of waiting around.

Good luck!

For all of these - would we be allowed to have my son and I wait in line while my MIL takes my youngest on a ride or two, and then rejoins us in line? Or would the crowds hang us?

People do it. If you do this, prepare to be confronted about it.

Everyone has different thresholds for what they think is acceptable for line saving. I’m generally in the camp of if you want to see the thing, wait in the line, but I’m good with bathroom breaks (obviously), sending someone for snacks/drinks etc. I also think there are people who have legitimate reasons to line save based on their situation. I would NEVER confront someone for their choice on this especially because I don’t know anyone’s whole story (I classify ASD as a good, legit reason to line save). But there are people who would confront you and I wouldn’t want to deal with that.

People do it. If you do this, prepare to be confronted about it.

Everyone has different thresholds for what they think is acceptable for line saving. I’m generally in the camp of if you want to see the thing, wait in the line, but I’m good with bathroom breaks (obviously), sending someone for snacks/drinks etc. I also think there are people who have legitimate reasons to line save based on their situation. I would NEVER confront someone for their choice on this especially because I don’t know anyone’s whole story (I classify ASD as a good, legit reason to line save). But there are people who would confront you and I wouldn’t want to deal with that.

No I wouldn't want to either

When you say Christmas time, do you mean Christmas week? Or do you mean sometime after Thanksgiving, but not after schools are out? If you are going during Christmas week, I absolutely recommend paying for experiences that will lessen your waits or take you out of crowds and taking full advantage of FP+. I think even the busiest weeks are manageable with the right planning and expectations, but lines are longer and it makes for a longer day.

When you say Christmas time, do you mean Christmas week? Or do you mean sometime after Thanksgiving, but not after schools are out? If you are going during Christmas week, I absolutely recommend paying for experiences that will lessen your waits or take you out of crowds and taking full advantage of FP+. I think even the busiest weeks are manageable with the right planning and expectations, but lines are longer and it makes for a longer day.

No, it would be the first or second week of December, before school is out.

For Processional ppl were lined up for standby at 3pm for 5pm show on Fri Dec 1. Whoopi was the narrator.

We arrived 1/2hr prior to JBJB and got a good spot, a little back from center middle between projection towers. This was on Fri Dec 1'st. We spoke with someone that was in front of the theater and in front of projection towers and she said they couldn't see projections on the rt or lt side of the theater. IMO there is no 1 ideal spot for JBJB. Would like to add that JBJB was DH favorite Christmas night time show. We haven't seen or have a desire to see Processional.

FWIW Jingle cruise had long lines during our sold out MVMCP on Tues Dec 5'th. You may want to consider having a FP for it.
Good luck and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter