Front entrance closet

We live in a warm climate and have a coat closet by the front door and mud rooms off the two garages (the one off the carriage garage is also the laundry room). Every home we’ve lived in in Texas has had a coat closet and a mud room.

We have a small coat closet by the front door and its a new build. There is also a mudroom style bench with hooks/cubbies by the garage.

We keep coats and the vacuum in the front closet.

We're in the Southeastern US and have a coat closet by the front door in our 50 yo ranch style home. It does get used, but is not particularly convenient since we come in the side door off of the driveway(no garage). I have installed hooks and cubbies by that main side door entrance for our shoes/backpacks/purses, jackets-in-use.

We used to—60s ranch in Midwest—but we removed it when we remodeled and added a coat closet in the mud room which is where we knew we would most use it.

2008.....no closet by the front door. It enters a large foyer.
A closet around the corner by one of the doors to the garage.
We do not wear coats often.
We usually enter through the other garage door and there is a wall mounted coat rack there.

Canada - Front coat closet that's too small for our family, so I also had hooks for the kids' coats that were at their height when they were smaller.

I WISH I had a mud room. But then, I also wish I had a main floor laundry. Oh well. I like everything else about our house, so I shouldn't complain.

Yes we have a front closet. Lots of shoes, boots and all season coats . Top shelf full of husband baseball hats , umbrellas etc.

Our front door and garage door are pretty well beside each other…lol wish we had a mudd room.
Large closet in the front foyer but where we really need it is at the garage entrance (down a flight of stairs off the living room). There's no room for anything like that though and it's a real drag because that's were we do 99% of our coming-and-going.

Our townhouse has a closet near the front door. However, the previous owners of our unit turned it into a pantry since it's near the kitchen. I actually prefer having it as a pantry. Our previous house had a coat closet and it ended up being a dumping ground for a bunch of junk. I could not believe what came out of that closet when we moved. We're in California, so we don't have a mud room. We keep our coats on a row of hooks in the living room area.

We have a front entrance closet stuffed full of shoes, coats and baseball hats. It’s more for storage though. Our everyday coats are hung on the staircase knob or thrown on a bench in our foyer and the shoes are left on the ground so we can all trip. Lol.

Last edited:
Cold climate, newer house : we have a closet meant for coats near the front door. We use it for luggage and backup office supplies (no basement). There's also a coat closet in the laundry room which is our entrance from the garage where we keep coats and boots.

Cold climate, 70+ year old house, and yes there’s a coat closet right by the front door. Most homes here have them.
I WISH I had a mud room. But then, I also wish I had a main floor laundry. Oh well. I like everything else about our house, so I shouldn't complain.
Same here.

We don't have a coat closet and I really miss it. Our old house had one and it was where we kept coats and the vacuum. We ended up getting an over the door thing with hooks that we put on the back door to have a place to keep a couple coats/jackets.

We live in a cold weather climate and our house was built in 1921, we do not have a coat closet. We have a small entry way at the front of the house where people can leave their shoes and hooks for hanging coats. We have a side door that opens onto a landing where you go down to the basement or up to the kitchen, right at the top of those stairs we have some coat racks and IKEA shoe holder bins.

Yes, we do have a large closet by the front door. The house was built in the mid-fifties. We keep all the winter gear in there until we need it.

Watching House Hunters and thought about this-

Does your house have a closet by the front entrance for coats and boots?
Super common here except perhaps in older homes.
is this more of a cold climate feature?
Not really by the front entrance, but a few steps in and down one step we have a "coat closet". That's where the vacuum lives. House is about 45 years old and located in CA.

We have a hall closet in the hall between our front door and mud room. Our house was built in 1986. We don’t as much snow as other places but have wet damp winters. We use more rain gear than snow gear.

My house ( split level) growing up near Montreal so cold snowy climate had 2 hall closets . One in the hall from the front door as well as another one downstairs by the garage entrance. The house was built in the late 50s or early 60s.

We have a small guest coat closet by the front door for guests. It is empty now. We have a huge coat closet by the garage door that is full of coats for DH and me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter