Front entrance closet

colder climate, house built in 2006-large closet adjacent to the front door. funny thing is we have an antique hall tree that fits perfectly next to it but people always hesitate to use it. i tell them that if it's survived over 140 years of having coats and boots and umbrellas hanging and dripping on to it then we will continue to use it as a functional piece of furniture.

i also have a double sized (traditional length and depth of a bedroom closet) inside my laundry room. i think b/c it's also a pass way room to the garage with a large sink the builder thought it could act as a mudroom of sorts with the wetter items deposited into the sink to dry/hung in that closet to drip in an unseen by visitor's portion of the house.

House was built in the 30s and has a closet by the front door. Pennsylvania, so a cold climate.

No...my house was built in 1961 and does not have a coat closet by the front door.

My parent's house did.

Our house was built in 1992 and we have a coat closet by the front door. We also have a nice wooden coat tree which we use most of the time. We live in a cold climate, so we have 4 seasons of coats in the closet. Would love a mud room by the kitchen door.

Yes. We are not in a cold climate at all. I hate houses that don't have this. A lot of new ones don't. We use our for our vacuums as well as coats, but it's mostly a storage closet.

No. We live in a 1904 farmhouse; and, closets really weren't a thing at that time.
At some point in the 70s a back porch was enclosed. We built our driveway and detach garage off that entrance, so we have always used that as a mudroom . Most of our guests use that entrance also.

Watching House Hunters and thought about this-

Does your house have a closet by the front entrance for coats and boots?
Super common here except perhaps in older homes.
is this more of a cold climate feature?
I live in the Southeast. We do not have a closet by the front door. WE have a side door by the driveway/garage which people call the friendship door. It leads to a mud room and right beyong that there are two closets.

new build house in NC. No closet by the front door, no mudroom, but I do have a coat closet right inside the garage door. When I was house hunting a couple of years ago I did look at a couple of homes with no coat closet. Grew up in NJ in a house built in the 1920's. we had a coat closet inside the front door but it was practically useless, it was not deep enough for hanger to hang front to back.

Yes, I have two closets in the foyer, one on each side of the entrance to the living room. There is a mud room entrance too on the side of the house but no closet there, just hooks on the wall.

My parents’ house had a few changes made while it was being built, and the foyer closet had to become narrow but deep. There were two rods to hang coats, one behind the other. We would switch the coats from one rod to the other seasonally.

Florida house built in 1990’s, and it has a coat closet near the front door. There are two doors on the left as you come into the tiled foyer. The first is a half bath and the second is the coat closet. The house prior to this one was also Florida did not have a coat closet.

We have a front closet and it is pretty much 100% different coats/jackets/fleece/etc for different weather conditions. We have a few pairs of snow pants and boots in there, along with the vacuum for the main floor, but it is mostly coats for various weather conditions and outdoor activities.

My apartment ( older maybe built in 70’s? has a closet near front door.

My previous home built in late 60’s had one as well.

A house we rented from that was built late 90’s had a closet in the kitchen way past the front door.

Florida house built in 1960 - very little storage space, and definitely no coat closet.

We have a hall closet that could be used for jackets/coats but it's being used as the pantry. I don't know where people stored food in 1960 but they evidently did not use pantries ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter