FREE DINING UPDATE- RUMOR and SPECULATION / Update Page 80 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Hard Rock really that cheap? You are really making me think now. My DS has been wanting to go to Universal for years. I prefer Disney, but if I could get Universal much cheaper than Disney, maybe I will rethink my plans.

Absolutely! Hard Rock is VERY EXPENSIVE...But they have a promotion going on now. Stay More Save More! We got October 1-October 8 2 adults 2 children (ages 11 and 8) at the Hard Rock Hotel for $1052 (including taxes). That is a standard room...we have always gotten an upgrade to Pool View during that time frame. When you stay at any of the onsite hotels you get unlimited front of the line passes. Nothing better than walking up to Men in Black that has a 75 minute wait and getting on immediately all day!!!

I have a reservation at the Royal Pacific for $125 per night for the last week of August. I priced out Hard Rock too and it was just a little more.

Maggie

We love Royal Pacific too. We just prefer HRH because of the close walk to US/IOA instead of using the boats. We stayed at RPR on Club Level. That was great!

makes sense for WDW to def forego the last few years' FDP offer mid aug to sept and gamble as to how many folks keep their plans anyway.;)Some people may already be locked into their vacations due to work or airline booking.

Thinking there may just be a gift card offer or maybe variation of 1 kid eats free w/each parent:confused3more than likely a buy 4 nights (@ rack) & get 2 free type...mostly to keep guests onsite away from Universal & a possible split stay to see HP.:rolleyes1

if enought don't bite, they can always roll out a last minute offer.

btw, don't expect to find the onsite U rates as low as stated here except for longer stays & slow periods, even AAA & APH rates. Im paying $292xx a night for October @ PBH (although i am getting loews youfirst platinum upgrade to a parlour suite-sweeeeet!)

You know this is kind of off topic, but I really think this whole worrying about the summer and leaving everyone else hanging idea of Disney's is going to come back and bite them in the rear. I understand that they need to fill their rooms for the summer, but if they don't offer anything or offer some lame deal for late August-early October, they may lose a lot of business. Then they will be scarmbling to figure out how to fill the rooms for those dates. Okay, so maybe then in June they decide to offer free dining after all. Many people may already be content with their new plans by then and just keep what they have, whether it be Universal, offsite, the beach or some other random location.

I mean if they have me an absolute and total Disney fanatic thinking of going to Universal, it could happen to anyone.

I could be TOTALLY wrong here, but this is the impression I was under. If you make dining reservations without your resort/disney reservation, the dining reservations cannot be applied to your trip as part of free dining - if free dining does come out. They would have to be cancelled and re-booked. Like I said, I'm not sure if this is accurate - it's just what I had heard.

ADRs do not need to be tied to your room reservation in order to use credits for free dining. Any of the prepaid meals (CRT, HDDR, SoA, MBYBBQ) would be best tied to your room with the dining plan attached because otherwise you pay up front, but it's still not necessary. I believe that you'll get a refund to your credit card when they charge you the credits when you dine. I also believe you can call back after you book your room and tell them that you have the DDP (doesn't matter if it's free or paid for) and that you want the refund now as you'll be using credits for the meal. If you're not dining at any of these locations then it's a completely moot point and the reservation does not need to in any way have any mention of you having the DDP.

If you don't have a room reservation then you can only book the one day of ADRs at 180 out and you'll have to call back each day to book each subsequent day's ADRs.

You know this is kind of off topic, but I really think this whole worrying about the summer and leaving everyone else hanging idea of Disney's is going to come back and bite them in the rear. I understand that they need to fill their rooms for the summer, but if they don't offer anything or offer some lame deal for late August-early October, they may lose a lot of business. Then they will be scarmbling to figure out how to fill the rooms for those dates. Okay, so maybe then in June they decide to offer free dining after all. Many people may already be content with their new plans by then and just keep what they have, whether it be Universal, offsite, the beach or some other random location.

I mean if they have me an absolute and total Disney fanatic thinking of going to Universal, it could happen to anyone.

I agree. They need to get on the ball. Although I have to ask the Disney fans...how do you manage in the summer at Disney? It is so hot and the lines are so long. Don't you just fry from the heat there? We went to Universal a couple of years ago in July. We wouldn't have been able to handle the heat without the unlimited Front of the Line passes. We like going to Disney in October since our kids are in year round school and the crowds are reduced and it isn't so hot.

Well said! I agree.

Disney may be looking to fill summer rooms as the attendance in September is definatly up in the last few years. The first year we went in September was 2006 and we had no need for fast passes and rides were a walk-on. Half an hour before Spectromagic we got a prime space on main street no problem.

Fast forward to September 2009 - we needed to use fast pass and at Spectromagic we arrived an hour in advance and struggled to get a space.

I think they will play the waiting game and see how bookings go before releasing free dining and if they do FD I think it will be QS to the values as they must be losing money on some of those bookings. They might go for less numbers better profit tactic.

makes sense for WDW to def forego the last few years' FDP offer mid aug to sept and gamble as to how many folks keep their plans anyway.;)Some people may already be locked into their vacations due to work or airline booking.

We are locked into our vacation because of airline booking but that doesn't mean we have to stay at Disney. It just means we have to fly into Orlando.

We don't have small children so the kids eat free deals are not good for us. We aren't staying 7 nights so the 4/3 deal isn't going to do anything for us either. Universal is always an option as is staying offsite since it is cheaper.

A discount on park tickets or FD would be the only thing that we really would benefit from. We are paying for 2 rooms already so FD would be great for us but isn't a deciding factor in our plans either.

We like staying on property because of the convenience & EMH but are really hoping for some discount.

You can book your trip and then add the promotion on when it comes out. If you don't like/want the promotion, you can cancel with no penalties to get your $200 back. This way you can go ahead and make any ADRs.

One thing to remember is that trip insurance is non-refundable.

If you book a trip that is depending on a discount, wait until you are sure you are going to add the trip insurance or you will lose that portion. I did that our first year going to Disney; I cancelled our first ressie and re-booked with a different TA, thinking I'd get the full $200 back, but nope, it was minus the $80 for insurance.

Disney may not let you add on trip insurance at a later date, but there are plenty of options at insuremytrip.com or elsewhere. Maybe even with your credit card company.

But...after all of that said...we're going to WDW discount or no discount this year, but I'd still love FD or similar! :)

Thanks for the info. Now I get to decide to wait around for a great special, stay off property or just book through the DVC points. airline booked for Oct 23-29

Thinking there may just be a gift card offer or maybe variation of 1 kid eats free w/each parent:confused3more than likely a buy 4 nights (@ rack) & get 2 free type...mostly to keep guests onsite away from Universal & a possible split stay to see HP.:rolleyes1

This makes the most sense. I think it would be very likely that whatever deal they offer it will be one that encourages you to STAY at Disney for the length of your Orlando trip and discourages you to head over to Universal for a couple days.

I think this makes the 4/3 deal more likely! It will get people to stay at Disney for the whole week. With free dining, you may be likely to stay at WDW for 5 days and then head to Universal for the last 2 days.

Maggie

Actually we and many people we know who got big refunds last year owe big this year because Obama decreased payroll withholding on weekly paychecks to stimulate the economy. The matching cut in taxes never came, so we all owe big come April. Yep, that extra money in our paycheck now goes back to Uncle Sam. This is very often a family's "vacation fund" and could prevent many from booking.
Ask around--I don't know of big refunds this year. Rather people are scrambling to pay the tax man.
I could see a sizable drop in bookings because of this, not an increase.

No, you got a $400 per person credit and your withholdings were decreased by $10 for 40 weeks. You owe money because you deductions and credits just *poof* disappeared.
The change in withholdings has nothing to do with you owing money. If he had done nothing - left that $400 in your withholdings and not given you that credit you still would have owed money.
I know, it sucks.
I changed nothing about my numbers and had the same job and income. Last year I got $1,000 back. This year I owe $2,500. Fun, right?

I think there is probably a better place than here for the tax/Obama debate. We still got a big refund. I know people who did and I know people who didn't, but no matter what a thread about free dining or other discounts really isn't a place to debate it.

Just posting some more thoughts on the business side of this...I'll try to break them down by points on why it doesn't really make sense to me.

-Last fiscal year, Disney World and Disneyland combined saw a 3% increase in attendance. However, during Q3 of the fiscal year, Disney World's guest attendance fell flat, meaning it did not experience an increase or decrease. In Q4, they experienced a 4% decrease in attendance.

-Companies that see this kind of trend will typically take action in the next fiscal year to fix the quarter that suffered the previous year. They have been doing this with Q3 and part of Q4 with the discounts we've been seeing available through August 14th. It was reported in July 2009 that it was the discounts that were helping the attendance rates, which is why it makes sense that we're seeing offers this year that were not available during the same timeframe last year. It would not make sense to increase discounts when there was no change in attendance during a particular quarter, but then reduce/radically change discounts during a time when the previous year saw a drop. Their goal is to make money, which means it's important for them to find ways to keep guests coming in. And if the members here are any indication, potential decent discounts are what's keeping them from canceling their trips. Even if FD isn't offered, a financially comparable discount keeps those potential cancellations away.

-Businesses that make drastic changes during Q4 that do not swing in favor of the customer typically have bad results. That is why most companies begin big changes in Q1 and see if it's a trend that should continue throughout the rest of the fiscal year. Q1 begins in later 2010, which would line up with Iger's statement of scaling back discounts in later 2010. Now this previous statement is pure speculation...the rest is just how a typical business works. Most companies are looking for ways to entice a customer to come and spend so they can earn that "last chance" revenue for that fiscal year...not the opposite.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on it. I do not stand firm that FD WILL come out, I believe it's very possible that it won't. I also believe that even if it doesn't come out, something at least comparable will...and to remember not to freak out if FD doesn't release over the next few days...because that doesn't mean it won't release later in the month (as that has happened before) or even later than that (as the first year nothing happened until June). FD or no FD, they need to focus on increasing guest attendance for Q4, and that would mean focusing on some incentive to lure a guest in.

Does Universal Studios have a dining plan? :confused3

If they do, then Universal could be a plan B for some. (If the fall discount is bad)

I didn't read through all the posts, but I hope for those who need the discount, that it's not something lame, like a free upgrade to hopper and water parks on your tickets.

I got my 35% off room for July and I'm pretty happy with that. Free dining would probably save me another $350, so it's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice! I really don't want to go in August anyway, I like July for some reason, not that it's anyless sweltering there. lol

Does Universal Studios have a dining plan? :confused3

If they do, then Universal could be a plan B for some. (If the fall discount is bad)

No idea :confused: I have a feeling Universal will be more expensive for us than Disney though, even without free dining. I do have my TA looking into it now. But I love Disney so much, I am hoping it is more expensive at Universal. LOL

We are locked into our vacation because of airline booking but that doesn't mean we have to stay at Disney. It just means we have to fly into Orlando.

We don't have small children so the kids eat free deals are not good for us. We aren't staying 7 nights so the 4/3 deal isn't going to do anything for us either. Universal is always an option as is staying offsite since it is cheaper.

We are in the same boat except we can get the AAA discount (which is on our reservation right now) at either place. Universal was not on our radar before I read this thread, but it's something worth investigating. We haven't been there since we starting coming to Disney in 2006. The kids have expressed interest in the Nick hotel but us parents have liked the convenience of staying at Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter