• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

FREE DINING UPDATE- RUMOR and SPECULATION / Update Page 80 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already within 5 minutes my brain is going to a "Well how about offsite and Universal to see the new Harry Potter stuff" place.

Surely Disney has to know with that new attraction at Universal, not offering a decent discount would be a bad idea.

ETA.. maggiew.. we were typing at the same time.. same thoughts.

The key words in your post are 'decent discount' which may or may not equate to what we're used to (F/D).

Remember (for example) a buy 4 get 3 free deal equates to a 42.8% discount on EVERYTHING, (room, tix, and dining plan).. That's a pretty good deal overall.

Is that as good as F/D? Depends on the size of your party.. but it could be comparable in many cases.

OTOH, I don't know how much Universal will be discounting. They won't and don't have to.. they have a new premier attraction that thousands/hundreds of thousands from around the world want to experience.

Simple business tells ya - you don't discount that. So any discount at Disney would probably beat whatever the Universal offer is.. F/D or not.

And remember Disney has a wider range of hotel choices (and costs) to make it appear more affordable than Universal.

It's definitely going to be an interesting few days. popcorn::

*(I've always wanted to use the popcorn thing)

The "scenario" we are getting on the restaurant board (no idea where it really came from as it was posted by some anonymous new poster calling themselves "littlebirdie" who dropped lots of hints, no matter how many hints they drop it's still just speculation) is free dining released next week for booking August 15 to October 2, quick service for values. That's within the realm of possible reality but it is still speculation at this point.

The "scenario" we are getting on the restaurant board (no idea where it really came from as it was posted by some anonymous new poster calling themselves "littlebirdie" who dropped lots of hints, no matter how many hints they drop it's still just speculation) is free dining released next week for booking August 15 to October 2, quick service for values. That's within the realm of possible reality but it is still speculation at this point.

Ha! Notice how neatly that fits into the plausibility of scenario # 2?

Come on # 2 !

Remember (for example) a buy 4 get 3 free deal equates to a 42.8% discount on EVERYTHING, (room, tix, and dining plan).. That's a pretty good deal overall.

4/3 has never included dining. You've been able to purchase dining but you have to pay for every single day. You din't get any free days of dining, just free nights of room and tickets.

You were asking earlier what might be an offer that could entice people as well as free dining and 4/3 that INCLUDES dining would certainly be something. What I don't like about 4/3 is that it seems to almost penalize those who take longer vacations. I like my trips to be between 9 and 12 nights. A percent of everything across the board (room, tickets and dining) would certainly be something that would be an amazing offer IMO though those who don't like the DDP wouldn't like either of these options.

I've got it. How about buy 1 get 1? Basically, a 50% discount. That's something I could definitely go for. Somehow I don't think that the powers that be will go for it, but a gal can hope, can't she?

4/3 has never included dining. You've been able to purchase dining but you have to pay for every single day. You din't get any free days of dining, just free nights of room and tickets.

You were asking earlier what might be an offer that could entice people as well as free dining and 4/3 that INCLUDES dining would certainly be something. What I don't like about 4/3 is that it seems to almost penalize those who take longer vacations. I like my trips to be between 9 and 12 nights. A percent of everything across the board (room, tickets and dining) would certainly be something that would be an amazing offer IMO though those who don't like the DDP wouldn't like either of these options.

I've got it. How about buy 1 get 1? Basically, a 50% discount. That's something I could definitely go for. Somehow I don't think that the powers that be will go for it, but a gal can hope, can't she?

Oh yeah, that's a discount I'd do in a heart beat! 4/3 deal to include DDP! Oh yeah, rock on!!!

Being DVC I have no horse in the race personally, but on restaurants I don't think we've even seen Scenario #1 yet.

I pray it is not Kids play and eat free - we have a 2 year old who is free anyhow and my 16 year old sister who is too old. That offer means NOTHING to us and many other people with babies & toddlers, teenagers, and all adult parties.

I agree with you. I have to teenagers ( DS11, DD13) that promo will not work for us either.

Is that as good as F/D? Depends on the size of your party.. but it could be comparable in many cases.

)

wow have they had this buy4 get 3 deal during non peak times before? That would save me around $700 off my original package, no way I'd spend that much on dining in a week! Well technically I could but if offered the 4 get 3 I'd just eat cheaper and forgo all those TSs...

and just calculating 40% off of my package w/ dining would really put me back in the same price bracket as w/ free dining.,....it's fun playing around with the numbers :)

I pray it is not Kids play and eat free - we have a 2 year old who is free anyhow and my 16 year old sister who is too old. That offer means NOTHING to us and many other people with babies & toddlers, teenagers, and all adult parties.

I do not care for that type of offer either. It helps with 1 child, but not the other.

I think it sucks that Disney charges adult prices once a child hits 10 years. I would think 13 (as the teenage) years would be more appropriate if they can't wait to hit people with extra charges for kids.

Excellent points all.. and you made me think of something else - what *if* whatever is offered isn't 'free dining' -- but still works out to be a really good deal?

I hadn't even considered the possibility that a new offer could meet or exceed the excitement of F/D. I can't even imagine what that might be...

What do you all think? What realistic offer .. could beat F/D?

Maybe they will do the but 4 nights get 3 free thing again? like they did earlier! seems like a good idea to me!

.....all aboooard!

You know what dovetails with Scenario # 1? Disney holding off on the FD promo to see how the Harry Potter opening is impacting their business.

Just saying....:rolleyes1

Well thanks a ton for bursting my bubble Knox. :lmao::rotfl2: No really i do appreciate you honesty.

We are not cancelling no matter what. But with your scenerios nothing even mentions the last 2 weeks of August. Will we get nothing offered? :confused: Oh well I guess all I can do is wait and see. I am very sad now. None of the other deals would be good for me. Buy 4 get 3 is only a good deal for those staying 7 nights. We are staying 11. We would be buy 8 get 3 free. Not so great. Kids stay and eat free. Nope my kids are Disney adults at 13 and 16. Oh well now I know to stop being so excited about the other threads that gave me hope. :sad1:

Let's keep in mind that we on Disboards do not represent the normal Disney family. Disney's promotions are to attract people that are thinking "I would like to go to WDW, not sure" then an e-mail or post card pushes them to book. Those of us coming to Disboards 20 times a day this week are a small percentage of potential Disney customers, so I don't think Disney cares if we want to know right now about their next promotion. Everything Disney does is extremely calculated and thought through, and their next deal and the timing of it has been examined from every angle.

We will find out the next deal when we find out, it will be what it will be, and if it helps us out, wonderful!!! And a few weeks after it is released all of this will be a distant memory as we dream of what we will do our first day in Orlando.

What I don't like about 4/3 is that it seems to almost penalize those who take longer vacations. I like my trips to be between 9 and 12 nights. A percent of everything across the board (room, tickets and dining) would certainly be something that would be an amazing offer IMO though those who don't like the DDP wouldn't like either of these options.

Just curious, as I went exactly 7 nights last year for the 4/3 promo. How do they handle longer stays? Does it just charge the additional days on top of what the promo gives? In other words, if you stay 9 days, you would still get the 3 free?

Since I'm new here I'm gonna say I appreciate your posting this and your honesty. I'm not going to lie and say I'm not hoping for some sort of discount, but in all honesty I wouldn't even know about the discounts if it wasn't for this board. And for that alone I am thankful!

We are going in September regardless of any discount offer, and we are very excited!!! :yay:

I admit though, checking on here and getting all the rumours and gossip about discounts is kinda fun and addicting :cool2:

Ditto - I never knew discounts existed until I got on the boards last summer. I took my first discount last year, but I had to switch resorts and I ended up being somewhat disappointed. Still had a wonderful trip; but missed my new second home/POR. No discount is going to make me move from POR this year.

I started going in 2000, by myself on the 4/3 cruise package. I have to pay almost double occupancy to go alone and I still think that a Disney vacation is a great bang for your buck. I go value season and still see it as a great time and I feel very safe going by myself.

I don't care about free dining, 4/3, 30% room discounts, nothing. My trip the week after Thanksgiving is already booked and paid for and I cannot wait to go again this year.

And on another note, KNOX, as always you are insightful, honest and downright brilliant - explaining the numbers for the stockholders is the bottom line - if they don't need to do deep discounts anymore, things will go back to normal and we can all still find ways to get to the World.

The report out yesterday is that personal spending was up in February. But people may start having some confidence in the economy. Or it may have just been all those snow blowers we had to buy here on the East Coast....:lmao:

That would work for our family! If I have priced it out correctly, it would knock $970 off our cost - which is almost the same as the FD savings ($965) would have been for us.

excellent points all.. And you made me think of something else - what *if* whatever is offered isn't 'free dining' -- but still works out to be a really good deal?

I hadn't even considered the possibility that a new offer could meet or exceed the excitement of f/d. I can't even imagine what that might be...

What do you all think? What realistic offer .. Could beat f/d?

Testimonial .........

FD worked how it was originally designed to work. We took FD the first year it was offered, we received a pin code for it long before it was released to GP. We bit and have been hooked. We have since gone back to WDW for trips and have purchased DDP oop when necessary and will continue to do so. Had FD never been introduced would I have ever "bought" into their DP, maybe:confused3 but probably not.FD did what it was set out to do: 1)bring ppl in during slow months 2) showcase the DDP. Disney may be done with FD, and now bringing something new to attract another market. So, it may not be all bad if it is not FD. FD sold me on the ease and convience of having it done and taken care of before I arrive. Sure it is a hassel to plan dining at 180 days out when I don't even know what I am cooking for supper tonight, but it's done. We love it!!! If there is no FD then we will pay OOP for the Dining plan. With 3 young girls we take advantage of lots of character meals. More time to spend in the parks exploring other things and less time waiting in long lines to see Mickey and princesses in the park. It is a nice break and we try things we may not otherwise. It's like killing 2 birds with one stone for us. THAT being said, I think the possibility that Disney will do away with FD is very real, BUT..... scaling back to "nothing", not likely , they will have something up their sleeve.

Maybe they will do the but 4 nights get 3 free thing again? like they did earlier! seems like a good idea to me!

I would expect the 4/3 deal would be one of the last things they would do; I saw that as a fluke due to the poor economy.

Indications are the economy may be slowly on the upswing.

Just curious, as I went exactly 7 nights last year for the 4/3 promo. How do they handle longer stays? Does it just charge the additional days on top of what the promo gives? In other words, if you stay 9 days, you would still get the 3 free?

It's still 3 days free but you're paying full price for any nights beyond 7 nights. You get no further discount for extending your trip which brings the discount percentage over the whole trip down.

This of course is no different than the gift card deal we just saw and how you got the same gift card for trips of 5 nights vs 6 nights vs 10 nights. These types of deals are targetted to a specific type of traveller which is great if you're that type of traveller, but some of us don't fit that mold. For travellers who stay longer, we like something that offers a discount for every night of our trip which free dining and percent off room discounts both do.

The report out yesterday is that personal spending was up in February. But people may start having some confidence in the economy. Or it may have just been all those snow blowers we had to buy here on the East Coast....:lmao:

Umm, tax refunds LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter