"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as Atlanta, we never take the 285 bypass. It's a lot longer, and if you're hitting Atlanta during a busy time, it's just as crowded as 75.
We just buckle down, take a deep breath, and drive very carefully.
Just watch your signs carefully.

And use the carpool lanes (the far left lanes). We get into them north of Atlanta and drive the lanes until we get south of Atlanta. Just don't exit off accidentally once. My in-laws did that and got hopelessly lost. Just follow the signs, and you'll be OK.

We try to time our trips so that we go through Cinci and Atlanta at off hours, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a scenario in which you'd avoid either rush hour or driving at an untimely time. I can't think of any. Maybe if you get here (Cincinnati) at about 8:30 AM at the tail end of rush hour. You should reach Atlanta just before the beginning of afternoon rush hour. That's assuming minimal stops.

But then, you have a two and a four-year old. So minimal stops are impossible.

If you can make the trip during the weekend, that would be great. Neither city has much weekend traffic. And if you're going in March, you definitely will avoid possible baseball and/or football traffic.

Just remember....still stay in the far left/carpool lanes in Atlanta.

BC1836 said:
Alas, tis time to part. :wave2: We should be starting our drive home around 9 a.m., about 90 minutes from now. We expect to make it to either Emporia or Petersburg, VA for the stayover. We were informed that Disney Hess near the Boardwalk reopened yesterday. Good timing. All the best! :thumbsup2
Disney Hess near Boardwalk has reopened. Gas is 2.89 today there. On our way home completing drive number 27 in 8 years. Number 28 scheduled for Dec. Had to extend our Mon night stay another night. Too many food booths! But we did hit them all and tried all the food items.

Disney Hess near Boardwalk has reopened. Gas is 2.89 today there. On our way home completing drive number 27 in 8 years. Number 28 scheduled for Dec. Had to extend our Mon night stay another night. Too many food booths! But we did hit them all and tried all the food items.

Alas, we did not cross your path on this trip.

We'll be back for New Year's Eve, a first for us.

All the best. :thumbsup2

:wave2: Hi BC I'm here, really busy, but getting ready for the next one :drive:

Looking forward to a great trip, starting to pack. We've been so busy with our Broadway bound kid that I don't have as much time to post but I read a lot :wave:

Recent Lauren stuff:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FAzdhuuXCwA
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64K8jkdL9jk

It's good to hear from you! And it was a pleasure crossing your path on Main Street USA several trips ago.

We're heading back in late December for a different kind of WDW-FL drive.

Close enough, thanks. What's your recommended (quickest) route? Please advise. All the best. :thumbsup2
We take the backroads, however the exit/entrance ramp to I4 we use is undergoing repair and has terrible back-ups. My son who lives in ft Myers takes a slightly different route than us. I'll ask him which way he goes, and then give you both. The backroads seem to take less time than going strictly interstate and you do end up doing the last (or first, depending on direction) stretch on I75.

We take the backroads, however the exit/entrance ramp to I4 we use is undergoing repair and has terrible back-ups. My son who lives in ft Myers takes a slightly different route than us. I'll ask him which way he goes, and then give you both. The backroads seem to take less time than going strictly interstate and you do end up doing the last (or first, depending on direction) stretch on I75.

Thanks! I did a number of Google Maps searches, moving the drive line around to compare and contrast times.

We would appreciate the tips you provide since an experienced local is a member of your family.

We are doing Christmas at Disney! Never taken a big RV to Disney, always flown. Anyone plot out a RV route before?

we'll be hitting the road on Nov 6th!

Us too! I am working a half day and then we are hitting the road. We are stopping overnight in Jacksonville. Then we will hit the MK for lunch on Friday on the way to my in-laws who live in Port Charlotte. After 5 days there we'll make the trip back to WDW for our 10 night stay.

UGH, we'll be hitting the road Thurs. and my youngest has a terrible stomach bug! Praying the rest of us do not get it or it's gonna be a very long drive :(

UGH, we'll be hitting the road Thurs. and my youngest has a terrible stomach bug! Praying the rest of us do not get it or it's gonna be a very long drive :(

Been there, done that. One trip, my daughter got sick just before we were leaving for home. We stopped multiple times for her to be sick along the way. Not much fun until she fell asleep for a while. Good luck. Hope he/she feels better by then.

I'll pray, but I'll also offer three words: box of ziplocs.

:thumbsup2

Thanks! He is better thankfully and will be able to go to school today then we leave tomorrow! Packing extra underwear and bags just in case, heaven forbid one of the rest of us gets it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter