"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - Perhaps some of you veterans of the drive can help me (rookie WDW driver) with a plan. We are going to WDW staying at Port Orleans in Late January 2015. We check in on a Saturday. We will be leaving from the PA/DE Border at 1:30pm (we have to let the kids finish that 1/2 day at school since they will miss the next week). I know that Balt/DC will be my biggest issue. I would hope to get to Manning, SC before hitting a hotel so that Saturdays drive is 5 hours or so.

1 - Is this a reasonable expectation? If not, where is a better stopping point?

2 - Is Route 13 through Del a good alternate route? or 301 through MD?

with trying to make as much mileage as possible night one we will not be making any frivolous stops. I hope that when we get going Saturday morning the kids will be plenty excited to make it through the second half of the trip.

On the return we will likely leave WDW around dinner time the next Friday and drive until 11pm. Again trying to get to Manning SC. I have no reason to like Manning other than where I found it to land on the journey using Google maps and there are a couple hotels with decent pricing/reviews at that exit off 95.

Thanks for any suggestions.:wave2:

Hi - Perhaps some of you veterans of the drive can help me (rookie WDW driver) with a plan. We are going to WDW staying at Port Orleans in Late January 2015. We check in on a Saturday. We will be leaving from the PA/DE Border at 1:30pm (we have to let the kids finish that 1/2 day at school since they will miss the next week). I know that Balt/DC will be my biggest issue. I would hope to get to Manning, SC before hitting a hotel so that Saturdays drive is 5 hours or so.

In all probability, you will be reaching DC (that's right: a tiny sliver of DC intersects the Wilson bridge via I-95) at the early stages of rush hour. If that's the case, expect at least an additional three hours until NC. Add another three through NC until the SC border. Then it's on to Manning. Good luck.

All the best. :thumbsup2

with trying to make as much mileage as possible night one we will not be making any frivolous stops. I hope that when we get going Saturday morning the kids will be plenty excited to make it through the second half of the trip.

On the return we will likely leave WDW around dinner time the next Friday and drive until 11pm. Again trying to get to Manning SC. I have no reason to like Manning other than where I found it to land on the journey using Google maps and there are a couple hotels with decent pricing/reviews at that exit off 95.

Just a few thoughts....have you considered what you will do if you have to adjust your schedule to accommodate weather?

Another consideration...we have left at 11pm as well as 2am-4am in the morning and drove straight through. Is there any possibility you can rest before leaving and drive straight through when traffic thru Baltimore and DC is considerably lighter? It's not for everyone but is a good way to avoid traffic and cover a lot of ground while kids sleep.

Hi - Perhaps some of you veterans of the drive can help me (rookie WDW driver) with a plan. We are going to WDW staying at Port Orleans in Late January 2015. We check in on a Saturday. We will be leaving from the PA/DE Border at 1:30pm (we have to let the kids finish that 1/2 day at school since they will miss the next week). I know that Balt/DC will be my biggest issue. I would hope to get to Manning, SC before hitting a hotel so that Saturdays drive is 5 hours or so. 1 - Is this a reasonable expectation? If not, where is a better stopping point? 2 - Is Route 13 through Del a good alternate route? or 301 through MD? with trying to make as much mileage as possible night one we will not be making any frivolous stops. I hope that when we get going Saturday morning the kids will be plenty excited to make it through the second half of the trip. On the return we will likely leave WDW around dinner time the next Friday and drive until 11pm. Again trying to get to Manning SC. I have no reason to like Manning other than where I found it to land on the journey using Google maps and there are a couple hotels with decent pricing/reviews at that exit off 95. Thanks for any suggestions.:wave2:

We just did this drive yesterday! We left at 3 am and got all the way through to Savannah before stopping and had no traffic. If you can't leave at a time to avoid rush hour in DC I highly suggest taking 301. It's a much nicer drive. For us, South of the Border is almost exactly the halfway point so anything beyond that is good! Depending on what age your kids are you might be able to drive into the night some. If you have an iPad or iPhone there is a great app called iExit that tells you exactly what is at each exit along the way...helpful when deciding where to stop! Good luck with your drive. :)

I am 18 miles short according to google maps from my house to walt disney world.

Now with fuel/food/bathroom/ whatever stops. And actually driving to our hotel/condo and then actually driving to the parks. I do qualify for the 2000 mile round trip. Count all the trips back and forth to the parks and all the other running around orlando and the rest of Florida and I am way over 2000 round trip miles.

So, can I join the club?

I am 18 miles short according to google maps from my house to walt disney world.

Now with fuel/food/bathroom/ whatever stops. And actually driving to our hotel/condo and then actually driving to the parks. I do qualify for the 2000 mile round trip. Count all the trips back and forth to the parks and all the other running around orlando and the rest of Florida and I am way over 2000 round trip miles.

So, can I join the club?

As the founder of this thread, you have hereby been endorsed and welcomed as part of this marathon-like driving crew thread. :drive:

And you solidified your presence by mentioning Walt Disney World instead of Disney World.

[However, we may need photographic evidence of your odometer!] :lmao:

As the founder of this thread, you have hereby been endorsed and welcomed as part of this marathon-like driving crew thread. :drive:

And you solidified your presence by mentioning Walt Disney World instead of Disney World.

I am honored. I always drive straight through, no overnight stays or anything like that.

I don't have photographic evidence from the many previous drives from Ohio to Florida but I will be driving down to WDW in less than two weeks so I will submit my evidence then.

That's how I justify my inclusion in the club. I'm about 90 miles south of you, so I'm only about 1,850 RT. However, with all the running around we do, we drove 2,100 miles on our last trip. And I have odometer proof.

Have fun. :D

I know that Balt/DC will be my biggest issue.

We drive every year from South Jersey (about 32 miles from the NJ/DE border). I avoid DC and it saves a ton of time.

Take 95 to 895 to the Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore rather than the Fort McHenry Tunnel.
Then take 895A to 97.
Take 97 to 50/301.
When 301 splits off, take that south.
Follow 301 all the way down until it reconnects with 95 just above Richmond.

301 is a commercial road with traffic lights and stores and restaurants and such and will sometimes feel like you aren't making progress, but trust me. It is way better than sitting in standstill traffic on the Beltway. Also, it provides plenty of good options for dinner.

I need advice from Disney driving veterans. What is the best route to take from the Pittsburgh, PA area? How long is the drive usually?

It will be dh and I driving. Leaving Friday around 7-8pm and driving straight through. We will have four kids 12, 10, 8, and 6 with us.

Grand Marshall BC1836,

I am a pilot, so if I fly myself down to orlando, does that still count? I can't technically fly to WDW because the runway has been closed for many moons, since way before I was born.

Maybe I could land on World drive late at night when there is no traffic. If a car is $17 to park, an RV $18, and a semi truck is $21. How much is it to park a plane?

Man, there a ton of smilies on this site but nothing airplane and pilot related.

So, can I join the club?

Just drive around your block the equivalent of 18 miles before each trip!

We drive every year from South Jersey (about 32 miles from the NJ/DE border). I avoid DC and it saves a ton of time.

Take 95 to 895 to the Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore rather than the Fort McHenry Tunnel.
Then take 895A to 97.
Take 97 to 50/301.
When 301 splits off, take that south.
Follow 301 all the way down until it reconnects with 95 just above Richmond.

301 is a commercial road with traffic lights and stores and restaurants and such and will sometimes feel like you aren't making progress, but trust me. It is way better than sitting in standstill traffic on the Beltway. Also, it provides plenty of good options for dinner.

Hi. How about many hours of driving time does this route take? Are there times of year/day that this way is to be avoided? Thanks!

I need advice from Disney driving veterans. What is the best route to take from the Pittsburgh, PA area? How long is the drive usually? It will be dh and I driving. Leaving Friday around 7-8pm and driving straight through. We will have four kids 12, 10, 8, and 6 with us.

We come from the Youngstown/Hubbard Ohio area and we been doing the I-79 to Rt-19 to I-77 route... Onto Rt-26 to I-95 and then I-4 to WDW...

We run it in about 17+ hours... Sometimes we stop at the Florida Welcome Center for a few hours rest... ( full on property security ) we leave home 4:30 am and prefer this time as to hit the big cities at non rush hours and especially Jacksonville and down I-4 in the early am before the traffic builds ...such a breeze at those times...

We get into WDW around 6 am... Check in, have breakfast, head to Publix for supplies and by then our room is usually ready or we swim until it is... Love having that full day ..

Hi. How about many hours of driving time does this route take? Are there times of year/day that this way is to be avoided? Thanks!

Door to door, with rest stops (not counting our overnight stop) we typically make the trip in about 17-18 hours. I can't really say exactly how much actual driving time it is. From our house in Cherry Hill, NJ to our rental in Kissimmee is roughly 1,025 miles depending on stops if that helps.

As for times to avoid, we don't follow that route on the weekends, only on weekdays when DC traffic is at its worst. There is traffic along parts of that route but nothing compared to DC traffic.

We come from the Youngstown/Hubbard Ohio area and we been doing the I-79 to Rt-19 to I-77 route... Onto Rt-26 to I-95 and then I-4 to WDW...

We run it in about 17+ hours... Sometimes we stop at the Florida Welcome Center for a few hours rest... ( full on property security ) we leave home 4:30 am and prefer this time as to hit the big cities at non rush hours and especially Jacksonville and down I-4 in the early am before the traffic builds ...such a breeze at those times...

We get into WDW around 6 am... Check in, have breakfast, head to Publix for supplies and by then our room is usually ready or we swim until it is... Love having that full day ..

This route is the fastest from Pittsburgh. We routinely drive it from east of Buffalo, NY. Sounds silly to drive west to go south, but it is faster and the fewest miles. We prefer other routes depending on the time of year and how much time we have.

I am honored. I always drive straight through, no overnight stays or anything like that.

I don't have photographic evidence from the many previous drives from Ohio to Florida but I will be driving down to WDW in less than two weeks so I will submit my evidence then.

Welcome ! :yay:

We are doing Christmas at Disney! Never taken a big RV to Disney, always flown. Anyone plot out a RV route before?

Hi. Have you gone to the camping threads to ask? That's your best bet, plenty of RVers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter