For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dvczerfs said:
i use 81/77/26/95 in the non-snow months. the snow months i use 81/66/17/95. the first way i can do in 15 1/2 hours and the second way is 16 1/2 hours.
dw and i spent the night in the car at whites truck stop in the late 80s on i81. it maybe raining on the bottom of the mountain but on the top. :rotfl:
i live in Nazareth pa. so i start out on i78 just west of new jersey.
also may want to add, our dd is grown so its just the two of us. we stop at welcoming centers for a quick restroom stop and quick gas stops and that's it. i also drive on the upper end of the speed limit ;) so my times maybe a bit faster.

Thanks we try to drive straight thru going and stop coming back. I usually drive 5 miles over posted speed limit. This helps very much. 14 days cant wait

Thanks we try to drive straight thru going and stop coming back. I usually drive 5 miles over posted speed limit. This helps very much. 14 days cant wait

Actually, this raises an interesting Question. Being Canadian, we typically know that 15-20km/h above the speed limit on our 400 series highways won't get you a ticket.

Driving from Toronto to Orlando in July, through New York, PA, Virginia, North/South Carolina and Georgia. Is there a general rule of thumb for these states ? Other than Summerville of course where we stick to the limit like glue,...;)

Actually, this raises an interesting Question. Being Canadian, we typically know that 15-20km/h above the speed limit on our 400 series highways won't get you a ticket.

Driving from Toronto to Orlando in July, through New York, PA, Virginia, North/South Carolina and Georgia. Is there a general rule of thumb for these states ? Other than Summerville of course where we stick to the limit like glue,...;)

That's roughly the equivalent to 10-15 MPH over, and I think that would be pushing it.

Well the kids will be done school on Jun 11th. Just booked our off site hotel. We will be staying at the Comfort Suites Maingat East for 2 nights before going to OKW. We purchased our discount tickets through a discounted program offer by my employer. Our mini van is tuned up and ready to go! Come on July! :stir:

In the states there is an unwritten 5-10 mph rule that seems to work, but not over that. Besides, with 70 mph speed limits, 10 mph over that is a bit excessive. 75 is a good speed.

joyride said:

I try to keep it under 7 miles over, someone back in the day told me that was a safe number so I've stuck to it. Not sure how true but better safe than sorry.

I know in IL we can go about 9mph over speed limit without getting a ticket but it depends on the police officer and if they are bored or not. I hear in GA they are not as forgiving but the people from there sure do drive way over speed limit so who knows. I tend to just set cruise control at 9mph over the whole way down and keep an eye out for police. It has worked for me so far but I won't guarantee it for you.

HTH

Honestly, why risk it for the little time you're gaining... Is it worth a 200.00 + fine?? Speed limit of 65-70 MPH is fast enough .... My family's lives aren't worth that extra 5-10 mph over nor the fine.... Travel the speed limit!

I generally drive 70-75 mph wherever I am. :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

:thumbsup2 In IL speed limit is 55-65 mph which I think is the lowest of all the states and that is why everyone drives 65-75 mph here. Well there are the speed demons who go faster though.

angwill said:
:thumbsup2 In IL speed limit is 55-65 mph which I think is the lowest of all the states and that is why everyone drives 65-75 mph here. Well there are the speed demons who go faster though.

55-65 here in pa too

I'm from New Jersey. The speed limit is simply a suggestion. ;)

However, when I'm out of state, I try never to go more than 5 mph over. Showing respect for the state I'm driving through and all that...I figure if I went the speed limit, any self-respecting cop in the nation would pull me over. "You're from NJ. You are doing the speed limit. What are you hiding??!!" :rotfl2:

We ran 55-65 all the way from STL to Wisconsin Dells and back. That combined with the pancake flat nature of IL netted us 24+ MPG when 21 is more like we'd get going to Disney :lmao:

Honestly, why risk it for the little time you're gaining... Is it worth a 200.00 + fine?? Speed limit of 65-70 MPH is fast enough .... My family's lives aren't worth that extra 5-10 mph over nor the fine.... Travel the speed limit!

Normally, I would agree, but in the Toronto area driving the speed limit (100 km/h) would be holding back traffic and downright dangerous. 120 km/h is the norm, and allows you to keep up with the traffic around you.

Not to turn this into a debate on speeding, but, speed limits were lowered in the 70s during the oil crisis to save fuel, not as a safety measure. Most vehicles AND roads today are built to handle much higher speeds than the posted limit. Not that I am advocating street racing or excessive speeding...

joyride said:
Not to turn this into a debate on speeding, but, speed limits were lowered in the 70s during the oil crisis to save fuel, not as a safety measure. Most vehicles AND roads today are built to handle much higher speeds than the posted limit. Not that I am advocating street racing or excessive speeding...

Then in the late 80s the limits were raised back up.

However, when I'm out of state, I try never to go more than 5 mph over. Showing respect for the state I'm driving through and all that...I figure if I went the speed limit, any self-respecting cop in the nation would pull me over. "You're from NJ. You are doing the speed limit. What are you hiding??!!" :rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao:

:lmao::lmao:

is it true you can get a drivers license from a bubble gum machine in nj?

also add to the list, traffic lights, turn signals and the little lines on the road.:lmao:

be careful from Orlando to your wdw exit on i4. they will stop you if set up for 1 mile over the speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter