For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time we go through DC is when we are going to be doing some touristy things there. So, we plan it to get there in the early afternoon on a weekday and have never had a problem. After doing the touristy thing, as long as you get back on 95 going south (again on a weekday) around Alexandria, VA you will have most of the lanes to yourself. Then you can laugh at the traffic tie-ups going north all the way to Fredricksburg. We like to get to DC on a Friday afternoon and leave on Monday morning.

On a weekend, all bets are off. Between the tourists and shore traffic, it is heavy traffic most of the time. Once we got on the Autotrain on a Saturday and the traffic was heavy all the way around DC, but we never stopped, just slow.

Generally we take the 81/77 route from Harrisburg or go through Pittsburgh and West Virginia. the 81/77 route is much easier on the car and gas mileage though than the West Virginia route. For us, the 81/77 route is about 50 miles farther for us than the West Virginia or 95 route around DC, but gives us very few traffic headaches.

We leave in 2 weeks, on a Wednesday. We are driving from Maine. We plan to leave at 6am and arrive just north of Richmond, VA - where we are spending the night. It is supposed to be a 10 hour drive, but I am planning on 12 with traffic and stops. My concern, is I will hit rush hour traffic in DC.

What time is rush hour in DC? I could possibly leave at 5am instead??

Then we plan to leave our hotel by 6am to avoid the rush hour traffic going through Richmond, VA - do you think this plan will work, too?

What do you think?

We've done the drive from the Portland area four times now, and it's tough to time things so you don't hit the northeast rush hours. We always drive straight through, though, so leaving at around 5 P.M. seems to work best. Even with good traffic conditions, I don't think we've ever made it to D.C. in much less than 10 hours, Richmond will probably easily be 12 without traffic. Our last trip we left at 1:00 P.M. and had terrible traffic in Connecticut and New Jersey. Leaving at 5 A.M. you may hit rush hour in Hartford. There's just too much traffic in the northeast!!

I'm sorry, I don't think this was much help! Safe travels to you!:goodvibes

For people coming from northern areas, there's really no Philly traffic to consider along the I-95 route because...

Driving south, the NJ Turnpike (still, for now) fakes it as I-95 South. It's a toll road. The NJ locals don't take the toll road because if look to the right as you drive the turnpike, there's I-295 so close you can almost spit on it! The NJ Turnpike deposits you at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which is below Wilmington, DE, so that mini-rush is also avoided. I-95 (which does exist) on the PA side is avoided*, because well, you aren't in PA, you're in NJ. :thumbsup2 HTH some for their planning.

For those who like to get dizzy, you can read a good summary here, esp. the subheading "The I95 Gap."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_New_Jersey

*I believe all the major routing software uses the default of moving folks along the NJ Turnpike, v. crossing to PA and reconnecting with I-95 in PA. But, always worth a look at the detail before starting to be sure.

We leave in 2 weeks, on a Wednesday. We are driving from Maine. We plan to leave at 6am and arrive just north of Richmond, VA - where we are spending the night. It is supposed to be a 10 hour drive, but I am planning on 12 with traffic and stops. My concern, is I will hit rush hour traffic in DC.

What time is rush hour in DC? I could possibly leave at 5am instead??

Then we plan to leave our hotel by 6am to avoid the rush hour traffic going through Richmond, VA - do you think this plan will work, too?

What do you think?

You could also leave your place around 6 a.m. (assuming somewhere near Portland) and be at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry around 1:45, even with a couple of rest stops. You could have a late lunch, board the 2:30 pm ferry with your car, exit on the Lewes side around 4:10 pm. You could drive for another 3 1/2 hours, crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel, to a hotel in the Chesapeake, VA area along I-64.

From there, you would proceed across the very southern part of VA and pick up I-95 in Emporia, VA. The second day would take about 12 1/2 hours including 10-15 min rest stops every 3 hours, and not exceeding the posted speed limits.

I don't by default recommend this route to anyone but folks from pretty far north who could use a good sized break in the afternoon to rejuvenate, or who live in southern Cape May County like myself. ;) We see a lot of Maine and Canadian plates on the ferry in addition to the usual Delaware and New Jersey ones. So, I thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration. :beach: If you do seriously consider this route, please give me a shout out. The trip through DE can be much easier if you take advantage of Rt. 113. I can give you easy directions from the ferry.

This may sound crazy, but consider, when going south on 95, taking 81 in New York or PA all the way to 77 south in southern Virginia, then straight south until you get back on 95. I live near Harrisburg Pa and my wife's family is in Florida so I know 95 like the back of my hand. 81 to 77 is about 30 miles longer but actually a shorter time and more pleasant trip. Its value all depends on where you would get on 81.

Thanks for the tip. We live outside York, PA and I think I will mention this to the hubby for our September drive. Does it make a difference as to what day and what time you would leave? We were thinking of leaving York around 2:30am on a Monday morning. I wonder if using this alternate route would actually save us any time?

This may sound crazy, but consider, when going south on 95, taking 81 in New York or PA all the way to 77 south in southern Virginia, then straight south until you get back on 95. I live near Harrisburg Pa and my wife's family is in Florida so I know 95 like the back of my hand. 81 to 77 is about 30 miles longer but actually a shorter time and more pleasant trip. Its value all depends on where you would get on 81.
That's the route we take, we live near Allentown and go 78-81-77-26-95 and love the drive :goodvibes

Its down to 1 week and a few hours until we head out. I want to make sure I have the correct change set aside for tolls because as always happens.. stop here stop there before you know it you are out of change!

Based on what I can figure out - taking the Turnpike from 75 to the Daniel Webster Western Beltway (429) to Exit 8 Western Way / Herzog Road - the total toll should be $4.50. $3.00 paid a few miles into the Turnpike journey and $1.50 paid half way on the Beltway. Shouldn't be any tolls at the exits. Correct?

Last time we took the turnpike to I4, this time since we are staying at Animal Kingdom that seems the much better route to take.

Thanks for the tip. We live outside York, PA and I think I will mention this to the hubby for our September drive. Does it make a difference as to what day and what time you would leave? We were thinking of leaving York around 2:30am on a Monday morning. I wonder if using this alternate route would actually save us any time?

No, that is what is so nice about it. There are no major cities so traffic, while heavy, is never as bad as going around Baltimore, DC, Philly, etc.

The biggest city on the route (That loveysbydesign listed) is Charlotte, which isn't much trouble.

We used to go around Baltimore and Washington, then switched and would go down route 15 to 17 and then 29 which hit 95 above Richmond. Both DC and 15/17/29 had lots of delays - one for heavy city traffic even at night, and the other because of red lights and lower speed limits on lesser roads. Don't be put off by the "extra" 30 miles, it will actually save you time.

I won't go any other way than 81 to 77 any more. Loveysbydesign is right, it is a very nice drive!

We are going in September, too! It should save you some time because of the difficulties getting around DC or going down 15. (Once we got stuck for hours due to an accident on the two lane route 15 bridge at Point of Rocks, Maryland!) 81 is such a nice drive. Any larger towns can have heavier traffic if you hit them at rush hour, but the towns along this route are small enough it doesn't have a big impact. Again, Charlotte is the only real city and we haven't had traffic problems there.

Go on google maps and get directions for your house to Disney. Then "grab" the route by clicking on it and holding, then drag and drop to 81 just above 77. Make sure you drop or place the dot right on 81. It will then recalculate your route going 81 to 77. You will see the difference in time and miles. However, google maps doesn't account for the mess around DC.

God Bless and Drive safe! :moped:We'll be there September 5th through 13th for my wife's birthday and and early celebration of our 50th.

We are going in September, too! It should save you some time because of the difficulties getting around DC or going down 15. (Once we got stuck for hours due to an accident on the two lane route 15 bridge at Point of Rocks, Maryland!) 81 is such a nice drive. Any larger towns can have heavier traffic if you hit them at rush hour, but the towns along this route are small enough it doesn't have a big impact. Again, Charlotte is the only real city and we haven't had traffic problems there.

Go on google maps and get directions for your house to Disney. Then "grab" the route by clicking on it and holding, then drag and drop to 81 just above 77. Make sure you drop or place the dot right on 81. It will then recalculate your route going 81 to 77. You will see the difference in time and miles. However, google maps doesn't account for the mess around DC.

God Bless and Drive safe! :moped:We'll be there September 5th through 13th for my wife's birthday and and early celebration of our 50th.

We are going also in September. Why don't we just rent a big bus and it can take all of us down from the Harrisburg area. Lol.
I just came back two weeks ago from wdw using 81/77/26/95. We did hit a two and a half hour traffic jam on 81 in the construction zone in West Virginia. There was a semi broken down that stopped everything. Other then that it was 75-80ish the entire way.
Just don't hit Charlotte at rush hour. From Harrisburg, it takes me about 7 1/2 hours to hit Charlotte.
Congrats on 50!!!!

We are going also in September. Why don't we just rent a big bus and it can take all of us down from the Harrisburg area. Lol.
I just came back two weeks ago from wdw using 81/77/26/95. We did hit a two and a half hour traffic jam on 81 in the construction zone in West Virginia. There was a semi broken down that stopped everything. Other then that it was 75-80ish the entire way.
Just don't hit Charlotte at rush hour. From Harrisburg, it takes me about 7 1/2 hours to hit Charlotte.
Congrats on 50!!!!

I have posted the times it takes me from one point to another on here. If you cant find it let me know and I can post it again. ( going 78/81/77/26/95/4)

I am also a big fan of the I-81/I-77/I-26 route, I find my average speed is higher than on I-95 and I make better time even with the extra miles... and I enjoy the drive much more. The only area with "rush hour" traffic is Charlotte NC.. and that was just a nuisance.

ParrotBill said:
I am also a big fan of the I-81/I-77/I-26 route, I find my average speed is higher than on I-95 and I make better time even with the extra miles... and I enjoy the drive much more. The only area with "rush hour" traffic is Charlotte NC.. and that was just a nuisance.

How different is it from 81-66-15-17-95?

How different is it from 81-66-15-17-95?

Depends upon your starting point, I guess, but 81 to 77 is all interstate so it is better in my estimation. I've done 15 from PA to 17/95 dozens of times, and it was a lot better than 83/95 around Baltimore & DC, but still slower than the 81, especially at rush hour or other heavy traffic. I did the 81/66/17/95 once and thought it was too long, but I can't give you times. Once I was on 81 at 66, I think it was better to continue down 81 than try to cut across. 66/17.

It will take us 16 hours, give or take, to do the just under 970 miles from Harrisburg to Titusville Florida.

Yellowstonetim said:
Depends upon your starting point, I guess, but 81 to 77 is all interstate so it is better in my estimation. I've done 15 from PA to 17/95 dozens of times, and it was a lot better than 83/95 around Baltimore & DC, but still slower than the 81, especially at rush hour or other heavy traffic. I did the 81/66/17/95 once and thought it was too long, but I can't give you times. Once I was on 81 at 66, I think it was better to continue down 81 than try to cut across. 66/17.

It will take us 16 hours, give or take, to do the just under 970 miles from Harrisburg to Titusville Florida.

We are from outside Binghamton so we are on 81 from the get go.

We leave tomorrow morning (hopefully by 5a.m.) for our next trip! We didn't even bother looking at airfare this time, since we loved our last road trip down in Dec/Jan. We are going again then next month too! :drive:

We are from outside Binghamton so we are on 81 from the get go.

From Binghamton, NY to the Transportation & Ticket Center at Magic Kingdom:

1,177 miles 17 hours, 54 minutes: (Suggested by Google maps) 81 to I-476 turnpike in PA to I-95 at Philly, then down around Baltimore, Washington and on south. LOTS of traffic around Philly, Baltimore, and DC so will be longer than stated times.

1,173 miles, 18 hours 5 minutes: 81 to Harrisburg, 83 south to Baltimore beltway, to 95 than south around Washington. LOTS of traffic so will be longer than stated times.

1,163 miles 17 hours, 55 minutes: 81 to Harrisburg, then 15 south to Fredericksburg, then 270 to Washington beltway and then 95 south. This however, due to 15 non-interstate and Washington beltway will be longer than stated times.

1,200 miles, 18 hours 19 minutes: 81 all the way to 77 in Virginia than south to 26 to 95. This is the most accurate time (Assuming no major accidents) and is realistic for me, I might even beat it for driving time not including stops. No traffic jams as bad as Philly, Baltimore, or DC.
:cheer2:

The last, 81 to 77, is only 23 miles and 25 minutes longer than the suggested route 81/476/95! I could almost guarantee that in reality the suggested route will take longer.

It is only 37 miles and 24 minutes longer than the shortest 81/15/270, but that is a bad route that goes down 15 and around Washington!

For an extra 23 to 37 miles and 25 minutes (Only by Google maps not reality) it is well worth it to avoid the traffic and have a much better drive. Shorter timewise and prettier too!
:drive:

Thanks, we always did 81-66-15-17-95 to avoid DC. Gonna try 81-77 this time

i use 81/77/26/95 in the non-snow months. the snow months i use 81/66/17/95. the first way i can do in 15 1/2 hours and the second way is 16 1/2 hours.
dw and i spent the night in the car at whites truck stop in the late 80s on i81. it maybe raining on the bottom of the mountain but on the top. :rotfl:
i live in Nazareth pa. so i start out on i78 just west of new jersey.
also may want to add, our dd is grown so its just the two of us. we stop at welcoming centers for a quick restroom stop and quick gas stops and that's it. i also drive on the upper end of the speed limit ;) so my times maybe a bit faster.

a quick update for the people who were following along three-four weeks ago.(don't recall what i post where anymore :lmao:)

briana is settled in. she has "earned her ears" and is working in the magic kingdom!! she loves its!!! i don't think the kid is coming home. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter