Extra occupancy price increase and Minnie Van = resort parking no longer a perk?

It's not like anybody thinks its a terrific idea. I don't have a car on any vacation, but I still don't like people getting charged for crap they haven't in the past. I'm flummoxed that it hadn't happened before since it is pretty industry standard.

I do see it as a possible Disney pricing change to make the WDW experience en toto more ala carte, and I'd super be down for that.

I'm not saying y'all think it's a terrific idea, but willing to accept it because others do it. It doesn't account for the context of things as they are. The only way this plan works is if they reduce the cost of the room each night, and then charge the parking fee to fill in that gap. I'm not saying never, but count me in as "really unlikely" that they'd do that. They're just trying to find a way to solve some of these pain points while making a little from it at the same time. Sadly I don't think it would backfire. People will stay, they'll just stay fewer nights.

I'm not saying y'all think it's a terrific idea, but willing to accept it because others do it. It doesn't account for the context of things as they are. The only way this plan works is if they reduce the cost of the room each night, and then charge the parking fee to fill in that gap. I'm not saying never, but count me in as "really unlikely" that they'd do that. They're just trying to find a way to solve some of these pain points while making a little from it at the same time. Sadly I don't think it would backfire. People will stay, they'll just stay fewer nights.

I think some of their recent moves are to fix common complaints - people complain about busses, so they're building gondolas. People complain about the DDP, so they throw some booze at them. People want Uber, so they make some ridiculous Minnie vans. If they slowly change the paradigm, I can see them lowering the onsite prices a TINY bit, with a whole campaign around - have you priced a WDW resort today, it might be cheaper than you think - and have all the services be ala carte.

I think the problem here...to put it simply...is that the disney Hotels are already double what they should cost as far as services...and I'm not trying to shock and exaggerate. They fall far under the upscale chains and classic hotels and don't provide anywhere near the service. Sometimes the ambience makes up for it...sometimes the rubber meets the road.
Yep, that's it exactly for me. It's always a matter of the bottom line: if WDW raises resort pricing, and adds parking/resort/whatever fees, and that total costs me more than a comparable (usually better) offsite option, I'll be offsite. Frankly, I've been offsite more than on for years now because I can stay in nicer digs for a lower price - so adding fees isn't going to bring folks like me back onsite! But I accepted years ago that WDW truly does not care if I keep coming back or not, lol!

Disney makes billions in profit each year and they want billions more. They will continue to modify, add, and charge for what ever they can get away with. If paid parking is an industry norm, then they will charge for parking. If a resort fee is the norm, then we will see a resort fee, if giving free parking to direct DVC buyers increases direct sales then they will offer free parking, if parking fees causes people to not rent cars and stay on property increasing profit, then parking fees are a sure thing.

It's all about numbers and profit.

:earsboy: Bill

I think some of their recent moves are to fix common complaints - people complain about busses, so they're building gondolas. People complain about the DDP, so they throw some booze at them. People want Uber, so they make some ridiculous Minnie vans. If they slowly change the paradigm, I can see them lowering the onsite prices a TINY bit, with a whole campaign around - have you priced a WDW resort today, it might be cheaper than you think - and have all the services be ala carte.

I see it differently. Disney is reacting to guests actions, not their complaints. For instance, the busses are very time consuming, and there are not enough of them. I call a taxi or Uber. Disney sees this as not a problem to be solved by adding more buses, but rather as revenue lost to another entity.
Disney is dumping a ton of money into CBR and CSR, and it seems as if there will be more DVC units added to a level of resort that was once considered moderate. Hmmmmm....folks need a reason to justify deluxe prices, so we will add another type of unique transportation, Gondolas to the rescue! I bet they will boost the cost up a lot once these resorts are completed.

The DDP is no longer seen as a slam dunk to lure guests into staying onsite and then committing most of their dining dollars to Disney restaurants. If they stay, they skip the DDP. It has already been tweaked to remover the "NO SHARING ALLOWED!!!!!" verbiage from the brochures, ditched the silly CS dessert and added a snack, and still they have a lot of pushback. So they bumped up the price, which I am convinced they would have done anyway, and added specialty drinks and alcohol.

IMO this is not about guests complaints, but to guests reactions with their wallets.

Disney makes billions in profit each year and they want billions more. They will continue to modify, add, and charge for what ever they can get away with. If paid parking is an industry norm, then they will charge for parking. If a resort fee is the norm, then we will see a resort fee, if giving free parking to direct DVC buyers increases direct sales then they will offer free parking, if parking fees causes people to not rent cars and stay on property increasing profit, then parking fees are a sure thing.

It's all about numbers and profit.

:earsboy: Bill

A $300 rack rate for a bare-bones 250 sqft room at CBR is not industry standard. Drive 1 mile from the gate, and that same room is $89 - $120 with breakfast and parking included at no less than 500 hotels in a 25 mile radius. I get what you're saying: if they charge it and consumers are dumb enough to pay it.... capitalism, yada yada. But charging for parking on top of the already asinine resort prices is throwing salt on a freshly amputated appendage. We as consumers need to dig the heels in and push back.

You might think that us as individuals have little control over such things. Notice the recently announced AP discounts for DVC members? They didn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts. The magic bands were telling the bean counters that member visits into the parks was down. Low and behold, a DVC ticket offer comes out. Speak with your wallet - they will listen.

Last edited:
But there is a big difference. I am willing to bet the hotels you stay at with those fees, if they charge say $225 a night plus parking, are a lot nicer accommodations than the Port Orleans. Including parking and resort fees, you often times can still stay in a Hilton or Marriott off site (with free Disney transport) around the same price as a Value. It'd be a deal breaker for me.

Also, the business picks up the travelers tab for parking. The hotels can get away with charging a large amount to park, since the payment is rolled up in that company's travel expense budget.

When it comes down to the individual paying out of their own pocket, of course, there will be more push back from guests.

IMO this is not about guests complaints, but to guests reactions with their wallets.

Duh. Of course it is! I was thinking with my fanboi glasses, not my market glasses. I'm betting you're dead on.

Funny thing - my phone and ipad autocorrect fanboi into something NOT dis appropriate.:rotfl2: Almost happened yesterday when I was dising at the wine bar. Yikes!

Is there any other destination where we think about that place's profit so much? We used to just price and go without even considering the amount of profit we're supplying. Disney gets away with a lot.

The prices are out of hand and getting worse at an amazing rate. I can't imagine that these crowds only include well off people so I wonder how they do it. I'm just about priced out and not ashamed to admit it. I'm middle class and can't justify a couple of hundred bucks a night plus fees for Pop Century. YMMV.

Also, the business picks up the travelers tab for parking. The hotels can get away with charging a large amount to park, since the payment is rolled up in that company's travel expense budget.

When it comes down to the individual paying out of their own pocket, of course, there will be more push back from guests.

I'm thinking of the hotels I stay in NYC, SF, Napa, Chicago, Boston, for personal travel - they certainly have parking fees, some of which are insane. Overseas I rarely have a car, but I have had one in Ireland on a number of occasions and I want to say valet at the Westin in Dublin is like 25 euros. Those are all very touristy areas - as it was pointed out my hometown is very touristy, we pay to park everywhere. Pretty much all the restaurants I go to that I don't walk to, you pay to park, just a choice of self-park vs. valet.

Again, I'm not suggesting it's awesome that WDW is effectively raising their rates and hoping no one pays attention (which is a bit how this feels), but simply, that it's a normal practice. WDW had previously been using their bundled packaging as a selling point. They're moving away from it - to what though?

Is there any other destination where we think about that place's profit so much? We used to just price and go without even considering the amount of profit we're supplying. Disney gets away with a lot.

The prices are out of hand and getting worse at an amazing rate. I can't imagine that these crowds only include well off people so I wonder how they do it. I'm just about priced out and not ashamed to admit it. I'm middle class and can't justify a couple of hundred bucks a night plus fees for Pop Century. YMMV.

Vegas comes to mind.

And that's why I think they should really be cautious. The onsite benefits are not that overwhelmingly great. I like the 60 day FP reservation probably the most. And that can easily go away if they decide to revamp the system. They'll be driving people to check out off site resorts in even greater numbers. Maybe they expect they'll capture some into DVC, and they likely will. But by and large, the people will just stay where it's cheaper and spend their dollars more equitably around the area vs all "in the bubble" as they had been.

We haven't really discussed the extra occupancy thing? Is that normal? It's very, very rare I'd have more than 2 people in a room, when I travel with the girls, its usually 4 of us in 2 rooms, every once in a while its a threesome in 1 room.

If you ever want to see an urban planner twitch, ask them about the cost of free parking and/or mandatory parking minimums.

For our planned second visit: severely restricted food/drink budget, cut out all pleasure/entertainment spending, buying discounted giftcards, and earned a companion pass with southwest. Also forgoing/barely spending on gifts etc., & I've been budgeting everything severely. It's still stupid expensive, even at a moderate, but oh well. I wanted to see all the parks, so I'm doing what I need to do to make it happen. Long term? I imagine we'll only go for even shorter stays if we return, and if prices go significantly up, skip it for long periods. Hoping to see flower and garden, halloween, food and wine, and the new rides/lands before that happens. *crosses fingers*

...but that's gambling...which is a different beast

It is. But I'd love to hear how the business models compare or don't. Both are significant tourist destinations for the only point of being a tourist destination. any comparisons you can share?

Last edited:
Is Magical Express still going to be "free"? I'm already a bit miffed that the prices went up to pay for that "free" perk for those flying in. Meh. We were AP holders for about ten years. Then we down graded to the week day only passes. Then we went to just getting the four day passes and stretching them to two short trips. The past few years we have only gone down for a couple days to eat at Victoria &Alberts for our anniversary and not did the parks at all. This year we didn't even do that.

It's too expensive for something that is often unpleasant now. I hate being packed in with thousands of strangers like sardines. I remember when they cleared the parks for EMH and the holiday parties. Now they let non ticket holders stay to shop. Even if they can't get on the rides they still clog up the park ruining the ambience.

What they should do is start up charging for things people actually want! I would happily pay an extra $100 if I could get a guaranteed check in by 10am at a deluxe. Maybe $50 for early check in at a moderate. Disney knows the itineraries of guests who book their flights through them. Why don't they add something to their system to let them know when people with super early flights are leaving and they could have a team of housekeepers that cleaned those rooms ASAP? (With the vinyl flooring in some rooms they wouldn't even have the sounds of vacuums to disturb other guests.) Then the system would know which rooms could be attached to an early check in fee. They could also offer people an incentive to check out of their rooms early. Not many people will take it but enough would to allow for early check ins for people who are willing to pay. The problem is Disney is not willing to spend the money for a good IT system that would help them utilize existing resources better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter