EVERYONE who hates the new AP program!

I look at it like this people that feel they need to find a discount to go to WDW and stay on site maybe should look at staying off property or sty at the value resorts. No I am not saying don't go to WDW but if people are in a bind and NEED a discounted room to be able to stay on site then maybe on site is not the best option for them. If you need a discount for a deluxe resort and prefer deluxe then maybe look at renting points from a DVC member to stay deluxe that is a very large discount. I just think all this hoopla and ankst over a room discount is silly before we bought DVC we stayed where we knew we could afford to stay without a discount and were happy knowing we were going to Disney.

C.Ann said:
All I want to know is if an AP holder can still book more than one room at a time - with or without this new "program".. If the answer is no, then they have in fact "taken something away".. :confused3
Actually, "with or without this new program" does matter. Since you apparently won't necessarily always have to participate in this new program to get AP discounts, nothing is (apparently) being taken away. Rather, all that is happening is a new way of obtaining the discount is being made available. If you don't like the terms of the "new way" then, as far as we know, you can just go ahead and do things the old way.

Sammie said:
You are exactly right. However just because this program might not be popular with some DISers, does not mean it will not be popular with others. There are alot of people that visit Disney that never read the Internet forums such as these.

I just can not believe Disney research and marketing is so weak that they do not know their market base. I just don't think many here realize what it truely is.
I still think it's a small number of people who will jump at this program compared to the number they could attract with a few significant changes.

The more I ponder what is really going on, the more I tend to think this is about reducing the number of calls to the CRO. We've seen recent posts about sales quotas for the CMs there. Disney would definitely save some money if they get more people to book online and agree to a set of conditions like a $50 fee for any changes to the reservation after the fact. It seems like they are considering doing what the airlines do, offer incentives to those who book early and agree to nonrefundable payments up front. The only problem is, to get people interested you need to offer them something more than the possibility of a discount. Disney must post the discounted rates up front so that there is some incentive for more people to participate. If the initial rate is say 20% off rack rate with the possibility that the rate could drop further depending on booking rates for the resort in question, then I think the program could be very successful.

It looks to me like the Best Rates web app is still a work in progress, so I'm hoping that this is in fact the way things will be once everything is finally in place, i.e., that we'll see something better than rack rates coming up for at least some travel dates.

CharlesTD said:
I look at it like this people that feel they need to find a discount to go to WDW and stay on site maybe should look at staying off property or sty at the value resorts. No I am not saying don't go to WDW but if people are in a bind and NEED a discounted room to be able to stay on site then maybe on site is not the best option for them. If you need a discount for a deluxe resort and prefer deluxe then maybe look at renting points from a DVC member to stay deluxe that is a very large discount. I just think all this hoopla and ankst over a room discount is silly before we bought DVC we stayed where we knew we could afford to stay without a discount and were happy knowing we were going to Disney.

I guess that in the past, having an AP gave the holders perks. Like being able to make a deluxe resort more affordable. I still dont' think that even w/an AP, we'd stay in a deluxe, but was looking into a moderate. WE are not opposed to a value, and with this new AP program, may be forced to stay at one.

CharlesTD said:
-------------------

For some people that may be true, but for others, like myself, our decision to be on-site or off-site is based on what we perceive the "worth" of the rooms to be.. As I've mentioned before, I personally do not feel that ANY room in ANY of the Disney Resorts is "worth" the rack rate - and I also feel that some are not even "worth" the discounted rate, if it only knocks off a few dollars..

I love Disney as much as the next person, but I won't spend my money on something if I don't feel it's a good value.. :flower:

I must be missing a big part of the picture here because I don't see where this could possibly be "better" for the guests
Well, again, before there was no way to do what this new program offers; now there is a way. So based on that, it's all "stuff being given" -- nothing being taken away -- so that's "better" for guests. More choice is always better. From my own personal standpoint: Despite years of trying, I almost never called in in-time to get the AP discount. They were always already sold-out by the time I heard about them. With this new program, I'd be able to trade my commitment for dibbs on one of the available discounts (if any). That would be a good thing from my perspective.

Hollyjoy It is like being a DVC member we get perks but we also know that at any time the perks can change that is just it they are PERKS not guarantees I can't see Disney ever guaranteeing that they will offer a discount to pass holders of any kind. I can see them offering discounts to residents of Florida to entice them to come and stay for a week or what have you rather than just drive in and drive home the same day. But when you know people have to drive several hours or days possibly you allready know they aren't going home after the day at the park so there is no real need to discount things for them.

C.Ann said:
-------------------

For some people that may be true, but for others, like myself, our decision to be on-site or off-site is based on what we perceive the "worth" of the rooms to be.. As I've mentioned before, I personally do not feel that ANY room in ANY of the Disney Resorts is "worth" the rack rate - and I also feel that some are not even "worth" the discounted rate, if it only knocks off a few dollars..

I love Disney as much as the next person, but I won't spend my money on something if I don't feel it's a good value.. :flower:
I totally agree. We love to go to WDW and would not even consider staying offsite because it just wouldn't be the same. However, if our only option was to pay rack rate, then we would go someplace else for our vacation because I don't believe any of the Disney resorts we've been is worth the price at rack rate.

So it isn't a question of whether or not we can afford something but whether we feel it's worth the price.

HollyJoy said:
I'm so confused! WE were planning on buying Annual passes for our next trip (most likely Jan. 2006). But, we were going to have them activated down in WDW. So, what I'm understanding now is that if we do this, we won't be able to get the AP rate unless we have them activated here 120 days prior to our reservations? So we lose 3 months worth? *sigh*
That may not be the case. On another thread someone reported that they were able to log in to the passholder web site using the numbers on their voucher. If this is the case, then it may be possible for those with vouchers in hand to use the Best Rates program.

LisaS,

That's WDW idea to let those with both activated AP's and vouchers log onto the system and beable to book this promotion.

C.Ann if that is how you feel but you love going to Disney then why sweat the discounts just stay off property if you don't feel the percieved value of a resort is worth the effort or money. I am sure there are many other off site resorts that are less expensive and in some cases nicer that would fit your bill just fine. It is all what the individual feels is reasonable if you find it reasonable that rack rate is fine at xyz resort then great if not then find another resort to fit your needs at the price you are comfortable paying. Why complain not saying you are complaining you have actually been a voice of reason somewhat on here then rather than complain find suitable accomodations some place else or don't go visit another place. I am sure for the small % of guests disney gets from this site as opposed to all other guests our numbers here are very small in the grand scheme of things even if it is thought that we make up a larger number than we really do for Disney guests. I am sure Disney wouldn't miss the % we propose in the long run.

freediverdude said:
But the passholder rate was already the best discount usually, it was usually the same as the florida resident or code rates. Maybe if they make this new program even lower than the current passholder rates by phone, it might make sense, but otherwise why bother with the restrictions. I have noticed that the florida resident/passholder rates aren't as low this year as the past few years, maybe they are leaving room now to make this new rate what last year's passholder rate was, just an idea.

FYI - For my upcoming trip the best rate was not the AP rate. It is the PIN. Example: for my upcoming trip my rate at AKL savannah is $165+. The AP rate for the same room is $219+.

So, you may yet see a better rate for people willing to do this program. I for one am willing to wait and see - especially for those add-on weekends that I do for DVC that are planned out way in advance.

CharlesTD said:
C.Ann if that is how you feel but you love going to Disney then why sweat the discounts just stay off property if you don't feel the percieved value of a resort is worth the effort or money. I am sure there are many other off site resorts that are less expensive and in some cases nicer that would fit your bill just fine. It is all what the individual feels is reasonable if you find it reasonable that rack rate is fine at xyz resort then great if not then find another resort to fit your needs at the price you are comfortable paying. Why complain not saying you are complaining you have actually been a voice of reason somewhat on here then rather than complain find suitable accomodations some place else or don't go visit another place. I am sure for the small % of guests disney gets from this site as opposed to all other guests our numbers here are very small in the grand scheme of things even if it is thought that we make up a larger number than we really do for Disney guests. I am sure Disney wouldn't miss the % we propose in the long run.
---------------------

I'm not sure I understand anything of what you just posted - LOL - but all I'm saying is that if the price is right (in my eyes - not anyone elses) then yes, I'll stay on Disney property.. If it's not (again, in my eyes only) I'll look for something elsewhere..

I think most people have an imaginary line in the sand that they draw in regards to what they are willing to pay for things and I'm no different.. Whoever gives me the best bang for my buck is the person/place where I'll stay.. :flower:

C.Ann,

Like some of us have been saying, this is just a new promotion for AP holders and is completely seperate from phone reservations and AP rates that you apply to phone reservations. If you want to continue and make your reservations by phone that then when a discount is released call and have it applied, you can still do this. This just allows those who make there plans 120+ days out the ability to make there reservation online and not have to worry about calling later to get a discount added.

That is pretty much what I said only in many more words LOL. What I was trying to say I will try and sum it up in a short sweet post this time LOL. IF you or anyone else feels that the property isn't worth teh money I am sure there are otehr places off property or not in FLA at all that will fit your needs and price point. So why complain about a perk that is just that a perk not a guarantee.

CharlesTD said:
So why complain about a perk that is just that a perk not a guarantee.
--------------------------

LOL - I'm not complaining - just stating my position on how I feel about this new program.. If it works for some, that's fine.. However, for me, it won't work - because I can't plan my trip 120 days out and I need two rooms, not one..

Now if the "old" AP program stays in place too (specifically the part where I can book more than one room at one time) and I feel the discount is something I'm willing to pay, then I'll take advantage of it..

Ironically I'll still be purchasing an AP regardless because I'll be staying in Florida for 3 months next winter.. Whether or not I use it for accommodations remains to be seen.. :flower:

It seems as though everyone is getting upset before the system even gets up and running. I am glad we finally can go on line and book.
I went to the passholder site today and you are able to book a room with the AP rate for resorts up to the October 4th cut off which is currently in effect now for those who are calling in. The one thing I like is that now you can see what resorts are available without spending all that time on the phone. You can play with your dates and decide on a resort.
The new system, using the 120 day mark etc, is in addition to the current system, so I think that we will all make out okay in the long run.

I agree that being able to go online and book a stay with an AP rate (not online AP promotion) and see what's available instead of calling and asking is this available will be great.

C.ANN I can say I am lucky that way my company has my vacation schedule for the next 3 years and I am guaranteed those dates off for as long as I want them. Working for the insurance dept of the second largest bank in Canada has it'e benefits other than discounted insurance rates on everything you have to have insurance on.

CharlesTD said:
C.ANN I can say I am lucky that way my company has my vacation schedule for the next 3 years and I am guaranteed those dates off for as long as I want them. Working for the insurance dept of the second largest bank in Canada has it'e benefits other than discounted insurance rates on everything you have to have insurance on.
-------------------

That's great! Sounds like an awesome company to work for.. :flower: My DD works in a residential group home for troubled teenage girls and her ability to take vacation time pretty much revolves around whether her unit is in crisis, lock-down, etc.. Her DH is the sole project estimator for a very large commercial construction firm and has to work his vacation around project deadlines.. Me? I can go anytime I want, but I want them (and my granddaughter) to go with me!! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter