DVCM Email today

i know it’s not the same was just sharing that info that the return of borrowed points isn’t new as not everyone may know that.
Understood. It’s just this seems counterintuitive as well. All these small pt contracts... this is going to put us all in a hunger games situation for studios given the 1bd vs studio point requirements and the added inability to borrow fully. It just reeks of a strategy made by those who don’t fully understand the complexity of the system, but are very concerned with image/brand saleability post-Covid. Like the education gurus who pass all these edicts and classroom teachers who know that implementation will be 🤯

ETA - why not restrict those borrowing for studios to encourage more 1bd reservations which will eat more points, for example?

ETA - why not restrict those borrowing for studios to encourage more 1bd reservations which will eat more points, for example?

that’ll be easy enough to remedy once studios are full, but 1-2-3 bedrooms are not. At that point, the borrowing moratorium can be lifted.

I’m an April UY member and none of this will change anything specific to me. I’ll bank my points like everyone because of the closure. the latest I travel is early February so I didn’t get up in the early cancellations. My only issue is I borrowed 350 2021 points that was in a reservation that I canceled and rescheduled. If that gets canceled again I’ll be looking to unborrow them. Even though I’ll bank, like everyone, I’ll probably book higher categories.

Any idea how this effects addon contracts? I have one contract, but two addons: Original at BCV (.0), SSR (.1), and SSR(.2).

Can I borrow 50% of the total amount or are they going to limit me to 50% per contract?

Granted it’s 50% either way, but if they go strictly technical per contract it will leave me with fractured point balances over the two resorts. Not ideal...

Any idea how this effects addon contracts? I have one contract, but two addons: Original at BCV (.0), SSR (.1), and SSR(.2).

Can I borrow 50% of the total amount or are they going to limit me to 50% per contract?

Granted it’s 50% either way, but if they go strictly technical per contract it will leave me with fractured point balances over the two resorts. Not ideal...
The notice says that you can borrow 50% per contract.

Just had this confirmed by DVC. It is indeed per individual contract within a membership, add-on or not.

I have already borrowed more than 50% from my SSR contract, but nothing from my RIV. Since those were done prior to the change, I know those reservations are fine,

I wonder if I will then still be able to borrow 50% of that contract? Sounds like I would...not planning to because my trips are booked through next March...but it would give me options if I need them.

I assume you are talking about a June UY for that Dec trip. So, if that trip is booked with banked 2019 points, 2020 UY points, and borrowed 2021 points.

The resort is now closed during that trip. Your banked 2019 points would still be valid for another 6 months so no need to extend them,

Your 2020 UY points are still bankable, so you don’t need the late banking exception...this is what is being given to April and June UY 2019 points....since their banking windows were long past when the reservation got canceled,

Your 2021 borrowed points would go back to 2021.

They also said that people need to continue to follow banking rules. Sept UY and forward need to keep that in mind since they can cancel a trip during potential closure right now and still bank.

The key is that if points expire during a closure with no time to use them, they seem to indicate they will extend,

But, I think because they did not include Aug UY from now, they believe things will be up...at least for resorts, but June/July.
Totally agree that there would not have been an exclusion of AUG UY in the notice unless they planned to provide a window to use those points. That's why, IMO, APR and JUN folks got a good deal, considering the situation (much longer window.) I'm scrambling to use my almost 200 points prior to 8/1, but as long as there is a DVC Resort open, I'm going. :)

Totally agree that there would not have been an exclusion of AUG UY in the notice unless they planned to provide a window to use those points. That's why, IMO, APR and JUN folks got a good deal, considering the situation (much longer window.) I'm scrambling to use my almost 200 points prior to 8/1, but as long as there is a DVC Resort open, I'm going. :)

if you had a trip booked during the closure and have Aug use year points that missed banking they are allowing you the extension as well. We have a May 22 trip booked with 200 aug use year points.

I called and spoke with MS this morning and was told that the only thing I could do with my Aug UY points was to put them in RCI before June 17. If I was to cancel our May trip, the borrowed points could be returned to their original UY, and nothing would go in holding. That's it, nothing more. There is a possibility that after they are done handling the earlier UY's, then they MIGHT consider doing something more with Aug, such as allow banking after the deadline. But that's only a maybe right now. MS said there's no way that anyone could over ride this.

I called and spoke with MS this morning and was told that the only thing I could do with my Aug UY points was to put them in RCI before June 17. If I was to cancel our May trip, the borrowed points could be returned to their original UY, and nothing would go in holding. That's it, nothing more. There is a possibility that after they are done handling the earlier UY's, then they MIGHT consider doing something more with Aug, such as allow banking after the deadline. But that's only a maybe right now. MS said there's no way that anyone could over ride this.

this is a quote from the new temporary policy regarding later use years that have reservations booked during the closure:
  • Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation.

also when I spoke with MS Friday after this email went out they confirmed that my May reservation will automatically be cancelled and points automatically extended (I’m Aug use year).

Could you clarify "automatically extended".
Does that mean you will be able to late bank current year points, or will they automatically extend 2018 banked points?

The rep said the 200 2019 use year points I have booked on this May trip would be extended the 12 months if they cancel my May reservation. If I had used 2018 points they’d be extended 6 months he said

The rep said the 200 2019 use year points I have booked on this May trip would be extended the 12 months if they cancel my May reservation. If I had used 2018 points they’d be extended 6 months he said
Thanks.
If what you were told is true, that changes a lot of things of things for Aug UY members with banked points.
If our May reservation using banked points is cancelled by DVC because of closure (as I expect will happen), I thought we would either have to put those points into RCI by June 17th, or book a reservation before July 31, 2020. However, if those banked points would be automatically extended by 6 months if our May reservation is cancelled, that gives us a lot more options.

That is not what the website says that other UYs are being given an extension on banked points,

It will be interesting if this actually happens for owners.

Thanks.
If what you were told is true, that changes a lot of things of things for Aug UY members with banked points.
If our May reservation using banked points is cancelled by DVC because of closure (as I expect will happen), I thought we would either have to put those points into RCI by June 17th, or book a reservation before July 31, 2020. However, if those banked points would be automatically extended by 6 months if our May reservation is cancelled, that gives us a lot more options.

Id certainly call and see if you get that same information. That is not the policy listed on the website, but it certainly would make people happy.

Sandi do you think the verbiage in the notice for later use year only applies to 2019 points? I agree it does read that way and doesn’t mention how they will treat 2018 points if used on a cancelled trip. I’m hoping the rep wasn’t mistaken when he stated that?
  • Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation.

Thanks.
I’d definitely call to be sure. I literally spoke to the rep within 30 minutes of getting the email to try to get clarification bc Aug use year wasn’t referenced. He did put me on hold once then came back and stated what I wrote above. Fingers crossed for you guys!

Sandi do you think the verbiage in the notice for later use year only applies to 2019 points? I agree it does read that way and doesn’t mention how they will treat 2018 points if used on a cancelled trip. I’m hoping the rep wasn’t mistaken when he stated that?

Yes, I do, They specifically mention the late banking, but do not include the extension for banked points.

Id venture to guess you got wrong information from the CM about banked points. They may not have really been thinking about it when they said it,

It just seems that if they were going to extend all UYs with banked 2018 points, they would have added that to

ETA: if you called just after email, it is possible CMs were still being updated to what would be happening. I had a CM tell me once that I could transfer and use Poijts in a certain way, and then when she tried to do it, it wouldn’t work. So, they do make mistakes.

ETA2: it just doesn’t seem they can extend them all because no matter who gets extended, they’d jump ahead of the others, They have to draw a line in the sand, Now, I do think Aug UY has a chance if resorts don’t open up by July 1st.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter