DVCM Email today

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
  • We know that some Members had reservations for Disney Vacation Club resort stays during the closure period using points that are set to expire. 2019 Use Year points for April and June that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for these reservations will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 Use Year points for April and June that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will be extended for six months from their current expiration date. Please note this temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. In addition, to better support Member availability, Disney Vacation Club will not extend the life of our expiring developer points.
  • In light of this and to help with resort availability in the coming year, beginning today Members who want to borrow points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year points per contract, as permitted by your Home Rules and Regulations. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the resorts reopen. Points already borrowed for a stay outside the closure period will be honored, even if they are above the 50 percent threshold. We will continue to monitor our inventory and re-evaluate, with the goal of returning to our standard policy as soon as it is appropriate to do so.
  • Finally, some Members have had questions about how the closure is affecting their association’s annual dues. While lower operating costs are anticipated for each condominium association because of the closures, there are many unknowns ahead as the resorts return to operation. Our commitment to Guest and Cast safety remains our top priority, and changes may be implemented to the way we operate, which may add some new costs. Given the unique circumstances of this situation, the proposal is to issue a credit to Members in mid-December as part of the distribution of Annual Dues Statements for 2021 if their association has an operating surplus (as opposed to rolling all surpluses into reserves).

These changes should provide helpful support to the entire membership as our team works toward making Disney magic for you and your loved ones just as soon as possible. We will continue to evaluate the situation, make changes to policies as they become necessary and keep you updated. More information on these policy changes can be found on our website, [www.disneyvacationclub.com]www.disneyvacationclub.com.
All of us at Disney Vacation Club are thinking of you and your families and can’t wait to welcome you home.

I didn't have a cancelled reservation but I have 200 banked 2019 points that I was going to use later this year. Now, I can't use them the way I wanted, which was to borrow all of my 2021 points and use all current 2020 points for a GV for the family. Given the current situation, I was hesitating about making that reservation anyway. So, I will hope I can actually use my 2019 banked points and just a little of my 2020 points, if any, and hope to have that big family trip in 2021 or 2022. I guess I think they are doing things as fairly as possible.

Me too. I was going to book summer 2021 with banked 2019, 2020, and borrowed 2021. Maybe if I push it later in summer, like end of July, they will allow me to borrow all those points.

I have truthfully read this email at least 5 times and I'm starting to think I'm an idiot...
I had a May/June vacation that I cancel in April. I have a Dec UY and have banked 2018 points that are now in 2019. This means they expire the end of Nov 2020. This new policy would not help me since I'm not a April or June UY... This means my points still expire in Nov unless I can use them. This is going to be a slippery slop for UYs as this closure continues. Alot of people will be mad since some UYs had points extended but not others.

I have truthfully read this email at least 5 times and I'm starting to think I'm an idiot...
I had a May/June vacation that I cancel in April. I have a Dec UY and have banked 2018 points that are now in 2019. This means they expire the end of Nov 2020. This new policy would not help me since I'm not a April or June UY... This means my points.still expire in Nov uess I can use the. This is going to be a slippery slop for UYs as this closure continues. Alot of people will be mad since some UYs had points extended but not others.
I had to read it several times as well! I have the benefit of some time yet, but we have an August vacation booked with banked 2018 points that expire September 30 (October UY) and 2019 points that need to be banked by this May 30th if not used. I think I still need to be able to divine the future by May 30th on whether or not we can travel in August. I'm glad they've done something for the April and June UY folks, at least, but I don't think it helps my situation at all.

I have a big trip planned for August 2021 with banked and borrowed points for 17 people. We've been planning this trip and carefully using our points to allow for it. We all decided we were OK with a resort only trip if necessary at AKL given the current circumstances. I'm really hoping the 50% borrowing restriction is relaxed by September but will have a backup plan if not. Now just hoping with the influx of expired points that I can book at my 11 month window.

Isn't there something in the DVC contracts stating they can't make rules for a subset of the members? How can 2 UYs have special and better rules. If this closure extends how could 4 or 5 UYs have special rules but not the others. This has to open them up to legal issues since not all members are being treated equally. Unless my Aug vacation gets canceled I'm not impacted but if I lose points due to DVC favoritism I'm going to be pissed.

Although they have good intentions these new rules should and will create class action law suits. (1) All members have equal rules for banking (2) All members have equal rules for borrowing per the signed contract at 100% of the next years points. I hate to be this way but these rules are horrible and will cause DVC legal issue!

Although they have good intentions these new rules should and will create class action law suits. (1) All members have equal rules for banking (2) All members have equal rules for borrowing per the signed contract at 100% of the next years points. I hate to be this way but these rules are horrible and will cause DVC legal issue!
I believe we actually have zero rights to banking/borrowing.

Nope, it won’t because the Home Resort Rules and Regulations document specifically state they can do this,

It is gives them the power to amend those rules at any time. Completely legal move on their part. Here are the rules.

Isn't there something in the DVC contracts stating they can't make rules for a subset of the members? How can 2 UYs have special and better rules. If this closure extends how could 4 or 5 UYs have special rules but not the others. This has to open them up to legal issues since not all members are being treated equally. Unless my Aug vacation gets canceled I'm not impacted but if I lose points due to DVC favoritism I'm going to be pissed.

The website says that if the closure lasts longer and a reservation is canceled because of it, and it includes points beyond a banking window...ie: Aug UY and beyond,,,the additional year will be given,

So, they know April and June UY points will expire because an opening prior to June 1st is pretty much not happening.

However, Aug UY points are the only ones beyond deadline right now and would be put back for May cancellations, But, if they open in June, those with Aug UY and beyond would still be able to go on trips booked once resorts are open.

I had a May/June vacation that I cancel in April. I have a Dec UY and have banked 2018 points that are now in 2019. This means they expire the end of Nov 2020. This new policy would not help me since I'm not a April or June UY... This means my points still expire in Nov unless I can use them. This is going to be a slippery slop for UYs as this closure continues. Alot of people will be mad since some UYs had points extended but not others.

But your points are not expiring during a closure, that is the key difference,

April and June UY 2018 UY points are being given 6 months because they are actually expiring while resorts are closed,

You have several months to still use them. If the resort doesn’t open up before Dec 1st, then I am sure your banked points will be extended 6 months too,

Here is what I noticed about the borrowed points. It sounds like the online system is not being changed to limit you from borrowing more than 50%, but rather, if you do, DVC will cancel the reservation within 7 days.

Members are going to have to be sure to understand this so they don’t think they got away with it only to find it canceled later.

7 month window to borrow was coming up in June too. Won't be able to go on trip til October 2021 at the earliest now. Can't say I'm happy but I get it

I think we have a right to them, but what they can do is alter the rules as they see fit to meet supply and demand and overall health to the program.
Wouldn't that imply that they can take them away? In other words, we don't have the right to them?

But your points are not expiring during a closure, that is the key difference,

April and June UY 2018 UY points are being given 6 months because they are actually expiring while resorts are closed,

You have several months to still use them. If the resort doesn’t open up before Dec 1st, then I am sure your banked points will be extended 6 months too,

But if you have points with a Dec UY expiring this year that you were going to use during the closure but your reservation was canceled. So now you have till December to book. But that's assuming you can get a reservation. It's already pretty tight. So unless you a waitlist comes through, you're screwed.

But if you have points with a Dec UY expiring this year that you were going to use during the closure but your reservation was canceled. So now you have till December to book. But that's assuming you can get a reservation. It's already pretty tight. So unless you a waitlist comes through, you're screwed.

Unfortunately, correct. But, as mentioned, you have at least tons of time to use them. May not be when you want, resort you want, or days you want, but they can be used,

I hope you are able to find something to work.

Wouldn't that imply that they can take them away? In other words, we don't have the right to them?

Yes, but it reads that they can do it because of supply and demand. I think that is what I was referring to, I don’t believe they can just say no use because with a first come, first serve system, they have to allow for some overflow measures,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter