Dreams Really Do Come True! - Our Wedding Trip - Spring 2011

Torsie I love your TR's!!!

I am reading this one to Elsie lol! We are both loving it and really looking forward to the next bit!

Sounds like you had a great first morning in MK.

Can't wait to read more

Love your TR so far. Jambo is a beautiful place. If you come back on points, you must try Kidani. Its more intimate but just a beautiful and peaceful. Can't wait to read the rest. And congrats on your marriage.

Thanks so much for reading. :) We had a walk over to Kidani last trip, I really liked it, but Jack prefers Jambo, and I think we would maybe miss the Mara.

I will definitely give it a try one trip though!

Loving it

:goodvibes Thanks

I posted on the other trip report thread you started but I just wanted to say "HI!" again and to let you know how excited I am to read all about your trip! Looking forward to more. :woohoo:

Haha, yes, I was awkward and wanted to re format it a bit - apologies! Glad you're reading Lauren, more up soon!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog! Congratulations on your wedding! Can't wait to read to more! We are staying at AKL in November and really enjoyed your safari photo's:goodvibes

Thank you! You will love AKL, it's a wonderful hotel, really really special.

Great report so far Victoria. :)

This may be the most anticipated TR ever. :D

Ahaha, wow, I'm not too sure about that! But thank you!

Torsie I love your TR's!!!

I am reading this one to Elsie lol! We are both loving it and really looking forward to the next bit!

OMG, that's so sweet! Hi Elsie!!!! Keep bugging your Mummy to take you to WDW when you're a bit bigger!

Sounds like you had a great first morning in MK.

Can't wait to read more

Thank you, Natalie! More tonight hopefully. :thumbsup2

Really been looking forward to reading your report.

Great so far - how wonderful that you had such a great day at MK with your friends and family

Can't wait to read more especially the Wedding Day

Tammy

I'm loveing your trip report, keep them coming. :goodvibes

what a lovely morning in Magic Kingdom and well done to your Mum for braving Splash Mountain :goodvibes

Loving your trip report! Love how many piccys you post! Cant wait to read more.......:)

Really been looking forward to reading your report.

Great so far - how wonderful that you had such a great day at MK with your friends and family

Can't wait to read more especially the Wedding Day

Tammy

Thanks Tammy!

I'm super excited to get to the wedding day part, it's going to take like 10 posts to cover the whole thing I think, but it'll be lovely to relive it all. :bride:

I'm loveing your trip report, keep them coming. :goodvibes

Thanks Tony :goodvibes

what a lovely morning in Magic Kingdom and well done to your Mum for braving Splash Mountain :goodvibes

She was a brave lady! And now if we ask her what she'd b doing if she was in WDW today her 2nd favourite answer is "Splash Mountain!"

Loving your trip report! Love how many piccys you post! Cant wait to read more.......:)

Thanks Lisa, sadly there are a few days (mainly the rainy ones!) with hardly any photos, so I'm trying to make up for those where I can!

Your Magic Kingdom morning sounds lovely, can't wait for more!:goodvibes

Thank you! It was a perfect morning. :banana:

Great first couple of days. Can't wait for more :cheer2:

:cheer2: Thank you - next installment up within the next 10 minutes or so. Xx

Day 2 - Part 2, Two Yummy Meals!

We had a walk down Main Street and decided on a ride on the monorail to the Poly and that we’d get the boat back before getting the bus to AKL.

Jack and I had fun admiring Bay Lake Tower as we passed by, wondering which room would be ours in 2.5 weeks time, it felt so long away!

Mum and Dad (and I) remembered passing through the Contemporary on our 1994 trip, so I’m glad we got the monorail together, soon enough we were arriving at the Poly.

I gave Mum a little tour of the lobby, as it’s the WDW hotel she’s always wanted to stay at, and when I was booking the Floridian for the wedding nights I said she could go for the Poly instead, but I much preferred the GF and thought she’d think the same.....see if I was right once we check into the GF in a few posts time!

We headed downstairs to Capt. Cooks, as I thought we’d grab something quick and eat on the beach. Mum and I stopped to wash our hands while Dad and Jack headed into the restaurant. When we came out they were stood outside looking a bit unimpressed. Dad said it was the same as the Mara, and he fancied something a bit different.

So Jack suggested Kona as it was his favourite meal last trip, I was a little hesitant as we had dinner at Jiko that night, but I said lets go check out the menu as I’d never looked at the lunch one.

Kona was really quiet, and the menu had a few lighter looking things on there so after my Mum checked they could do a few vegetarian dishes we got seated.

Our server was super friendly and sent the chef out to talk to my Mum about what she wanted. Mum decided on a Salad and some fries, Dad had the Fish Tacos, Jack had the Pork Tacos and I had a Club Sandwich.

222091_10150545910085084_821450083_18250435_7436972_n.jpg

The food came out super quickly and everyone was really pleased! My sandwich was HUGE so I only managed half, but it was delicious! And for $11 so much better value than eating in the park, and it was really wonderful being in the quiet and cool. Also the drinks being refillable also lets you replace a lot more fluids than at a CS meal. We had at least 2 refills each!

207097_10150545909925084_821450083_18250433_6577641_n.jpg

Definitely a top tip of mine for lunch on an MK day. It’d really re-energise you if you were going back in after a busy morning.

Dad declared it the best meal he’d ever had in America so I was very pleased his first WDW day was going well, as he was the family member I most wanted to be impressed by everything as he has high standards.

Suitably stuffed we waddled round the hotel, Mum and I spending a bit longer than the men liked in the clothes shop in the lobby.

Then it was time for another moment I’d been dreaming about for 18 months. Taking my parents to the Wedding Pavilion! We had a lovely walk in the sunshine across the beach to the WP.

221765_10150545910230084_821450083_18250436_4870145_n.jpg

When we arrived we headed into the planning office as my first job was to check our cake topper. I’d bought it online months before, but was worried it’d break getting shipped to the UK, so instead I shipped it to my wonderful photographers who then gave it to my planner who kept it in her office for me.

This did mean we’d never seen it in the flesh though, so we wanted to check we liked it before it went on the cake!

I spoke to the nice lady on the front desk who knew all about me coming in to check it that day, and we also asked if we could go in the pavilion, there was nothing on that day so we were fine to! Yay!

Soon the topper was brought in, it was perfect so we were all very happy. I showed my Mum and Dad a few of the bits in the planning office and then it was time to see the WP!

I was so excited to be back, and also a little nervous in case it was as good as we remembered. But as soon as we walked in I was in tears, so was my Mum, and the men weren’t far off. It truly is the most amazing place. We had a little nosey in all the rooms, me deciding which if the Bride’s Vestibules I preferred, and took a few photos.

221614_10150545910390084_821450083_18250439_2465153_n.jpg

216466_10150545910585084_821450083_18250443_771033_n.jpg

215309_10150545910775084_821450083_18250447_7024722_n.jpg

We then headed out to walk over to the Floridian, I’d asked the lady in the Wedding Office if the Whitehall room (our reception location) was in use, and she said yes, so we knew we couldn’t go in, but I wanted to show them the outside, and my Mum was so excited about staying there that she wanted to see the resort anyway.

Jack and I walked in front on the way back, and the whole time my Mum and Dad were just gushing about how perfect it all was. Dad said out loud “you’ve made the right decision, guys” which was just so amazing to hear as a lot of times we’d wondered if we were being selfish or troublesome getting married so far from home. Also as my parents paid the whole Disney bill I was VERY keen for them to be pleased with what they’d shelled out on!

Once at the GF we headed around to the convention center first and I pointed out the WH patio, then we went round to the Main Entrance of the GF, admired the old cars for a minute before going in. The Floridian is definitely my favourite WDW hotel, it’s just amazing. We had a quick look around in the lobby and then walk around the grounds in the sunshine before waiting for the boat back to the MK.

207121_10150545910885084_821450083_18250449_2014162_n.jpg

208582_10150545911005084_821450083_18250452_1545576_n.jpg

Mum and Dad enjoyed the boat ride and seeing the GF, Poly and Pavilion from the water, and then we didn’t have to wait long at all for a bus back to AKL.

Jack and I chilled out in the room for a bit, sorting out things we needed for the wedding, calling his sister, Janey, who was staying at Pop with her husband. They arrived a couple of days before us so that they could spend her birthday in WDW, I made them fill me in on everything they’d done and was really pleased to hear they were having a great time. As they hadn’t been to AK yet they were going to meet us there the next morning for park opening.

We phoned Dave and Karen’s room, but no answer, so we headed down to the pool via Zawadi as Jack needed nail clippers and I’d forgot to pack any! Mum and Dad were by the pool when we got there so we had a chat before going back to the room to get ready for dinner.

Dinner was our 'thank you' meal to my parents for being so supportive and positive about our whole wedding planning process.

They are both vegetarian but love fish, and I knew from the moment we ate there in 2009 that they'd love the food!

Our reservation was for 7pm, so we headed sown at around 6.45 and were seated before Jack had time to finish buying us all a drink at the bar.

I didn't take my camera, but here is what we ate (taken from allears.net menu)

While we browsed the menu we had delicious curried cauliflower soup.

Me

Shared with Jack to start.

Barbecue Chicken Flatbread - with Apple-Jicama slaw, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses

Jiko Salad - with Heirloom Apple, Pistachio, Pumpkin Seed, Sheep's Milk Cheese, and Pomegranate-Vinaigrette

Raspberry Mint Sorbet

Jack

Shared starter

Grilled-marinated Lamb Loin - with Chickpea and Chorizo, Spiced Swiss Chard, and Apple Cider Reduction

Cape Malva Pudding - Warm Cape Dutch Cake with Vanilla Custard and Mango and Apricot Sorbet

Mum

Shared starter with Dad

Taste of Africa - Trio of Dips with Assorted Breads and House-made Naan

Grilled Shrimp Curry - with Citrus-Coconut Basmati, Fall Vegetables, and Durban Curry Sauce

Coffee for dessert

Dad

Shared starter with Mum

Aleecha, Shimbra Asa, Inguday Tibs - and Goat Cheese Cream, Ethiopian Vegetable "Stack", Chickpea Cake, and Spiced Mushroom-spinach Roll

Ice Cream for dessert.

We were also given a celebration creme brulee - YUM

The staff gave Jack and I a congratulations card that they had all written in their native African languages in, so lovely.

My parents loved the meal and we all went to bed very full and very happy. (The meal and wine had also made us all very sleepy! It had been a busy first day!)

Next up: Animal Kingdom!

Your wedding trip seems great and the reports are fab, cant belive we was married their just over 2 years ago. Seeing the pictures off the wedding pavillion brings back so many happy memories wish we could do it all again and have that time back.

Who was your wedding planner ours was carol, they were great i know my wife loved having them around on the day so everything went like clockwork.

Grand floridian definatly a place we want to stay at again one day and be able to appreciate the hotel properly without the thinking off everything being ok for the wedding.

Aw love it! Elsie is asleep (finally LOL) so will have to read her this bit when she is awake lol! I dont mind reading it again I love your TR's and trust me she doesnt need to bug me to take her its daddy lol! x x x

Can't wait to hear about the wedding, your TR is bringing back memories of mine.

Hi, great updates again, feels like we were there with you.

Noticed your ticker, does that mean you have two florida hols to look forward to? :goodvibes

Your wedding trip seems great and the reports are fab, cant belive we was married their just over 2 years ago. Seeing the pictures off the wedding pavillion brings back so many happy memories wish we could do it all again and have that time back.

Who was your wedding planner ours was carol, they were great i know my wife loved having them around on the day so everything went like clockwork.

Grand floridian definatly a place we want to stay at again one day and be able to appreciate the hotel properly without the thinking off everything being ok for the wedding.

Our planner was Meri, she was amazing and perfect on the day. It was funny as she never seemed to be around but then as soon as we needed her for something she'd appear like magic!

I'm glad we decided to splash out and stay at the Grand Floridian for 4 days as I know if we had only one night I would hardly remember it at all!!

Aw love it! Elsie is asleep (finally LOL) so will have to read her this bit when she is awake lol! I dont mind reading it again I love your TR's and trust me she doesnt need to bug me to take her its daddy lol! x x x

Haha. If your post from yesterday is anything to go by then it doesn't look like daddy needs too much convincing! ;)

Loving this! Can't wait for more <3

Thank you!! Hopefully I can do the next part this evening x

Can't wait to hear about the wedding, your TR is bringing back memories of mine.

I bet! :) I love your wedding TR so I'm glad you like mine! Xx

Congratulations :)

Really enjoying reading your TR, looks like you had a wonderful time!

Thank you! We had the best time ever!

Hi, great updates again, feels like we were there with you.

Noticed your ticker, does that mean you have two florida hols to look forward to? :goodvibes

Our trip in a year is to my parents place on La Gomera. Just two weeks of sunshine and swimming pool and Spanish food! After a hectic year we are looking forward to a complete chill out trip.

We love WDW but as hard as we try when we're there we never really take it easy.

The next WDW trip is 2014 fingers crossed it comes round quick!!

Absolutely loving your trip report, what a great first day! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter