Does Your Goodwill Sell Underwear? Mine Does

I tend to wear undies totally out and toss them, but I can imagine donating undies still in good shape if they no longer fit (kids, mostly---but also weight gain or loss for that matter) or if after wearting once or twice they jsut didn't fit well or were itchy or whatnot. Or you opened up a whole package and washed them, wore one pair, reliazed you don't like them and donate the lot, etc.

My old underwear just disappears. It goes in the hamper, and if my wife things it is a lost cause, it never makes it into the washing machine.
All I can think while reading this is that I have seen you post about both of your jobs many times, but your wife apparently is the only one doign laundry.

All I can think while reading this is that I have seen you post about both of your jobs many times, but your wife apparently is the only one doign laundry.

I can only use the washer and dryer with her permission, and ONLY with detailed written instructions. That's her rule.
Division of chores in the household. On the flip side, she hasn't put gas in her car, cut the lawn in 35 years.

By the way, besides the stores donating their old new stock, what makes someone want to donate their old underwear. Am I the only one who throws old underwear away?

There are some who think they are doing some sort of service by donating everything. They'll even send their kids clothes that are completely holey and unusable because it makes them feel better. In my opinnion (except for feeling that is subjective) if the reason you are throwing it away is because it is ruined or has a stain or a hole then it shouldn't be donated whatever it is. I would rather find a place to recycle fabric then send that stuff to Goodwill under the disquese of charity.

On the flip side, she hasn't put gas in her car, cut the lawn in 35 years.

OMG that's my mother! She'll drive home on fumes and make her husband put gas in her ride. My wife, too!

What is it with women and pumping gas?

There are some who think they are doing some sort of service by donating everything. They'll even send their kids clothes that are completely holey and unusable because it makes them feel better. In my opinnion (except for feeling that is subjective) if the reason you are throwing it away is because it is ruined or has a stain or a hole then it shouldn't be donated whatever it is. I would rather find a place to recycle fabric then send that stuff to Goodwill under the disquese of charity.
Unfortunately there are no places in north Miami where you donate fabrics and I throw away items of clothing when they are ruined or when wife decides it's time to let go

Last edited:
OMG that's my mother! She'll drive home on fumes and make her husband put gas in her ride. My wife, too!

What is it with women and pumping gas?
Yea I have to put gas in my wife car. Sometimes I wonder how I make it to the gas station without stalling out the car

Unfortunately there are no places in north Miami where you donate fabrics and I thr

At that point then it'll end up in the trash any ways once it gets to the shelter or Goodwill. Like I said stained, ripped, unwearable doesn't do anyone good.

By the way, besides the stores donating their old new stock, what makes someone want to donate their old underwear. Am I the only one who throws old underwear away?

Some people just want to get rid of their junk while pretending they're contributing to a worthy cause. In reality, they're making more work and causing higher expenses for the charity.

Some people just want to get rid of their junk while pretending they're contributing to a worthy cause. In reality, they're making more work and causing higher expenses for the charity.
Exactly. There is a service here that will come around the neighborhoods once a month and collect anything you want to throw away (i.e. Refrigerators, tv's, construction materials, batteries, mattresses, etc...). It's great because it prevents people from just dumping items on empty lots or on the side of the road.

Exactly. There is a service here that will come around the neighborhoods once a month and collect anything you want to throw away (i.e. Refrigerators, tv's, construction materials, batteries, mattresses, etc...). It's great because it prevents people from just dumping items on empty lots or on the side of the road.

I once got $77 for a dead fridge at the recycling center. I'll never throw another away LOL

I once got $77 for a dead fridge at the recycling center. I'll never throw another away LOL
Our recycling center is very far away and I don't have a way of getting anything there. When we removed our pool enclosure, some guys gave me $50 to remove and haul away (it was a lot of work and Avery large enclosure). I am sure they made a few hundred $ just on that aluminum.

Didn't donated underwear end up the tax deduction list of some high profile politician a while back?

I am very thankful that I am in a position where I don't have to purchase used underwear. If your local Goodwill has a number of used underwear and little to no new packages, maybe look at that as a way in which you can help. Since it isn't realistic that someone will show up at your door and take you up on the offer of going to Walmart to buy new underwear, you could start picking up a couple packages each time you are out and donating them.

:offtopic: Why do some people insist on ripping open the multi-packs of underwear at Walmart?

To try them on, of course! J/K. I think they want to see what they look like. Bikini, briefs, etc. Probably don't realize the picture on the package is a representation of the underwear.

I really don't know if our local Goodwill sells underwear or not. I've never looked for any there. We donate quite often to Goodwill as I no longer care about/want to have my own garage sale as I did many times when our kids were growing up. But I've never donated used underwear. Like others have said, we wear them out then throw them away.

I doubt that many people want to buy someone's used underwear, but if that's all they can afford then what else are they supposed to do? And if someone loses their home to a house fire and do not have insurance and have lost everything but the clothes on their back maybe they're going to have to buy their underwear at Goodwill too.

Thankfully I have never been in that position, and I pray that I never will. Personally, I don't donate my undies, but I think that I'll go out and buy a few packs to donate along with my used clothes next time I make a goodwill drop.

I have to say that this thread has made me very grateful for what I have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter