Does Your Goodwill Sell Underwear? Mine Does

It's underwear, not a pair of pants. I have never purchased anything from goodwill but it can't be any different than buying from a garage sale. I doubt goodwill washed the clothes that come in.

You do realize some people go comando so if you are buying anything used you really have 0 clue what it was used for before it got to you. Heck we don't even know what our brand new stuff goes through before we buy it and that is why it is important to wash anything you buy before you wear it.

Where did I ever say goodwill washes the clothes that come in? The sort the clothes and things that are damaged or stained are usually thrown away or put in a fabric recycling bin.

Again I'm just saying I'm never going to fault someone who has to do all their shopping second hand (be it Goodwill, a garage sale, salvation army, whatever you have near you) because until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes you have absolutely no way of knowing if it really is all they can afford.

You do realize some people go comando so if you are buying anything used you really have 0 clue what it was used for before it got to you. Heck we don't even know what our brand new stuff goes through before we buy it and that is why it is important to wash anything you buy before you wear it.

Where did I ever say goodwill washes the clothes that come in? The sort the clothes and things that are damaged or stained are usually thrown away or put in a fabric recycling bin.

Again I'm just saying I'm never going to fault someone who has to do all their shopping second hand (be it Goodwill, a garage sale, salvation army, whatever you have near you) because until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes you have absolutely no way of knowing if it really is all they can afford.
So let's get this strait, there is no difference between buying an item of clothing at the mall and buying from goodwill? I don't care how much disinfecting you do to the underwear, it is still something that could have been soiled in or worn by something with who knows what going on down there. I have heard that many stores will either not take returns on underwear of take them back but destroy them.

I have walked in those shoes as a kid and I still think buying used underwear is disgusting.

So let's get this strait, there is no difference between buying an item of clothing at the mall and buying from goodwill? I don't care how much disinfecting you do to the underwear, it is still something that could have been soiled in or worn by something with who knows what going on down there. I have heard that many stores will either not take returns on underwear of take them back but destroy them.

I'm just not going to discuss this any further. Again I said I'm fortunate that I don't have to do that but unless you are in the group of people who do have to live on 2nd hand goods simply because of means you will never understand that yes some people buy those items and make it work and I refuse to sit here and look down upon them for it.

Also you clearly don't understand how disinfecting, bleach, and soap work.

Aaron you seem like a guy that wouldn't mind treasure hunting at a Goodwill store. Not for undies, but maybe the rare score of a jazz album or some bric a brac. No???

Mrs. Homie jokes that if she ever dies or we get divorced I'm going to live in an empty box, lol. Actually, I'm going to live in a van down by the river (seriously!), but it will include my laptop, tablet, cell phone, Keurig, a few clothes, some food, AND THAT'S IT. I'll eat off paper plates for the rest of my life so I don't have to do dishes.

I hate accumulating more stuff. The only exception I'll make is art: our house cannot have enough artwork on the walls, either Mrs. Homie's or other artists'. But as for bric-a-brac and such: NO.

For the record, I wore my share of Goodwill clothes growing up, as there were times when money was tight (to put it mildly). But my mom wouldn't dream of buying used underwear. Seriously.

Also, I get that when you wash it & bleach it it's no different from a shirt. But still....

do you try on pants or swimsuits on before you buy them?

Bathing suits generally have a removable piece of paper/cloth cover the gential region when it's in a store for exactly this reason. Women's do anyway -- and they encourage you to leave your underwear on when trying on a bathing suit.

I'm not going to negatively judge people who have no other choice, but that doesn't mean I relish that they have to make it.

This reminds me of the thread a few months ago about buying a bathing suit from a vintage clothing store.

I don't care if you soak it in bleach for a week, I'm not buying used clothing that is meant to come in direct contact with private areas. Nope, not doing it.

I'm not judging anyone that does, but it's not for me.

Only new underwear (in the package, mostly rejects or leftovers from local stores....i.e., product line changes and they donate the unsold old product) is sold at our second hand stores. Might be a law for all I know. They don't accept donated underwear either.

This reminds me of the thread a few months ago about buying a bathing suit from a vintage clothing store.

I don't care if you soak it in bleach for a week, I'm not buying used clothing that is meant to come in direct contact with private areas. Nope, not doing it.

I'm not judging anyone that does, but it's not for me.
Once again if you try on brand new pants you have no idea if someone went commando to try them on.

Once again if you try on brand new pants you have no idea if someone went commando to try them on.

No you don't. But it's a matter of likelihood -- there is a chance that someone tried on jeans before me while being commando and chose not to buy them. At best, they likely did not have the clothes on for more than 5 minutes, and it strikes me as a remote chance in the first place. I love to go commando, but I make better choices when I'm clothes shopping.

There is a 100% chance that used underwear touched someone elses genitals. If my goal is to reduce the chances then while that chance still exists with the jeans, it is an order of magnitude smaller (or more)

The same goes for new swimwear. There's no guarantee that people kept their underwear on while trying them on. I frequently see the "protective" liners that are not to be removed until sold laying on the fitting room floor.

The same goes for new swimwear. There's no guarantee that people kept their underwear on while trying them on. I frequently see the "protective" liners that are not to be removed until sold laying on the fitting room floor.

I'm not trying on a swimsuit if the protective lining is missing. That's pretty easy.

I am part of a service organization that runs a thrift store and members volunteer to work shifts in the store. Some of the people that come in are downright heartbreaking- women and children who are homeless, women and children fleeing domestic abuse with nothing, people that had lost everything. We had one woman with 3 little girls that all came in wearing pajamas because they literally ran from their house the night before and were too afraid to call the police or social services because the mom had questionable immigration status.

I'm not going to judge anyone that finds themself in a position where even $6 for a pack of underwear is too much (for that one family that would be $24 just for a pack for each member). I don't think a bunch of people on a message board who have Internet and a cell phone/computer/iPad are going to buy used underwear, but I think it's harsh to mock people who do.

Used is used. You can bleach it all you want in boiling water, you don't know what happened in those underwear. That's like buying a used toothbrush at goodwill.

I well never buy a used tooth brush I can't imagine the kinda germs I would encounter

I don't even share toothbrushes with family members

We all eat on used dishes and drink from used glasses every time we eat at a restaurant.

I ordered a used Pyrex dish today on Ebay. My kids fight over the one we have all the time so I decided to solve the problem once and for all (It's an older style so not available new).

I imagine there are some who are very thankful for used underwear and swimsuits. If someone would have to go without, I have to think a well laundered undergarment is far better than none. I just thank heaven I'm not in their position.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter