Does Your Goodwill Sell Underwear? Mine Does

:offtopic: Why do some people insist on ripping open the multi-packs of underwear at Walmart?
:rotfl2:
I hate it too! I guess the problem will solve if they set up a sample display and people will test the material without the need to open the package, also let's be real those brands the sizes aren't accurate and sometimes is a miss or a hit to get the one that fit

I've wondered about donating children's underwear to our local thrift shop. I'm not sure if they sell them or not, but I have been donating the outgrown ones. My son's daycare teacher told me a while back about another parent commenting to her that she couldn't potty train her son b/c she couldn't afford a package of underwear and I always think of that before adding the underwear to my donation bag.

For my own underwear I wear them until the holes are too big so they're really not even donation material haha!

Salvation Army sells used underware too. I'm assuming it's used, since most items in their stores are used. I just buy cheap NEW underwear.

I think this is a wakeup call for all of us to go to our local discount store and buy packages of unused underwear to donate. After all, not all people can afford new underwear.
That's a really good point. I had never thought about it like that.

I've wondered about donating children's underwear to our local thrift shop. I'm not sure if they sell them or not, but I have been donating the outgrown ones. My son's daycare teacher told me a while back about another parent commenting to her that she couldn't potty train her son b/c she couldn't afford a package of underwear and I always think of that before adding the underwear to my donation bag.

For my own underwear I wear them until the holes are too big so they're really not even donation material haha!
Kids' underwear is expensive! I cringe every time I have to buy a pack.

People sell them on those Facebook garage sale pages all of the time. I can say that I would never, but if I were ever broke enough... who knows?

:offtopic: Why do some people insist on ripping open the multi-packs of underwear at Walmart?

OMG I have done this!!! I have to see and feel the underwear to make sure it will fit. I need to hold it up to see if I like the shape, or if it looks too big or too small. I wish they would put out a sample of each style so you could see what they look like. One looked perfect on the package, but when i pulled it out (this particular case the package was already opened by someone else), it was clearly too small so I went up a size. The last time i did it, everything looked good and I bought the package.

I feel so sorry for those families that have to buy the used underwear. That is so sad. Imagine if some of the mega celeb and athletes would donate a fraction of their earnings to stock stores like the Goodwill with new underwear.

I don't mock the people that have to buy them. Any of us are one tragic event away from being in a situation like that. If that was the only thing I could afford, well, I'd be buying it too.

Like many here, the thought of wearing someone else's used underwear skeeves me out. I think clean underwear is something most of us take for granted as a basic necessity. However, as others have pointed out, it may not be a choice for people living in poverty, who still deserve compassion and dignity.

Well that is a risk you take buying from retail buy buying used underwear from goodwill is just nasty. Where do you draw the line on what not to buy at goodwill. Will you buy used deodorant, tooth brush, electric shaver, etc???
I've never in my life had to wear anything used - I was raised as an only child so I didn't even had hand-me-downs. DH and I have always blessedly been able to comfortably provide everything our DS needs as well. But if I was in need I'd buy or acquire used articles and be grateful for them, if I had no other means.
...Again I'm just saying I'm never going to fault someone who has to do all their shopping second hand (be it Goodwill, a garage sale, salvation army, whatever you have near you) because until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes you have absolutely no way of knowing if it really is all they can afford.
::yes:: And really, who would be buying used underpants if they have a lot of other options?

Like many here, the thought of wearing someone else's used underwear skeeves me out. I think clean underwear is something most of us take for granted as a basic necessity. However, as others have pointed out, it may not be a choice for people living in poverty, who still deserve compassion and dignity.
We've worked with with several shelter organizations. The chronically homeless that are served there get all (and I do mean all) their clothing provided by donation - including used underwear. They truly have no choice but to wear the used apparel or do without.

Mrs. Homie likes to "thrift" for toys and things she can upcycle. Far more often than I'd like, I've wound up inside Goodwill and other thrift stores with her.

The one in Farmington, Missouri has underwear. USED UNDERWEAR! :O

If you're so poor that you're buying your underwear second-hand, give me a call and I'll take you across the street to Walmart and buy you a pack of new, clean underwear.

*shudder*

One year at Christmas when I was in charge at my office in calling to arrange for us to adopt several families for the holidays, the social service lady asked me to please, please, please buy new underwear for the kids in the families. She said it's something people usually don't think about and these kids had never had new underwear! People often donate winter coats etc but not underwear.

One year at Christmas when I was in charge at my office in calling to arrange for us to adopt several families for the holidays, the social service lady asked me to please, please, please buy new underwear for the kids in the families. She said it's something people usually don't think about and these kids had never had new underwear! People often donate winter coats etc but not underwear.

I will try to remember this!

I am disspointed by the elitist attitudes in this thread.

I get that maybe you (geneal you) don't want used underwear, but as a PP pointed out it really isn't actaully, from a germ/sanitation standpoint, much different than eating off of plates and with cutlery that others have used when dining out, sleeping in a bed made with sheets others have slept on at a hotel, etc.

If it skeevs you out perosnally, fine, don't do it. Lots of people have issues with whatever thing. Me? I am skeeved out by people letting their dogs lick their faces---I could never do that. But to look down upon others who aren't skeeved out by it is just so wrong (whether the person could afford new undies or not--who cares? Honestly, if you stop the stupid stigma about how gross it is and only ok if one has no other choice, then it will be much less awful to not get to make the choice, than if someone feels so totally judged for their poverty).

Last edited:
Only thing I have ever purchased from Goodwill was a VCR, but they had a LOT of new clothing in factory sealed packaging that had been donated by chain stores. I don't recall if they had underwear,but most of the clothing was out of style, or odd colors.
Need I remind folks on the DISBoards that Disney used to require Mickey, Minnie, Donald and friends to wear COMMUNAL underwear.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jun/08/business/fi-7876

Only thing I have ever purchased from Goodwill was a VCR, but they had a LOT of new clothing in factory sealed packaging that had been donated by chain stores. I don't recall if they had underwear,but most of the clothing was out of style, or odd colors.
Need I remind folks on the DISBoards that Disney used to require Mickey, Minnie, Donald and friends to wear COMMUNAL underwear.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jun/08/business/fi-7876
Yea I never purchased anything from there. I have donated my daughters old toys and clothes though (no underwear, those go in the trash)

By the way, besides the stores donating their old new stock, what makes someone want to donate their old underwear. Am I the only one who throws old underwear away?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter