Does the 528 and 417 still have cash tolls?

That is what I was able to tell from looking at the toll calculator, but even when selecting those as the start and end points, it still comes up with the notation about pay-by-plate. I suspect it is some kind of error.
Could have sworn the first time I plugged in that route, it didn't display the pay-by-plate message. Regardless, all of the toll plazas along that route do have a cash option.

The agency permanently attached (glued) their transponder. Tolls were billed to that transponder. Registering your sun pass might have resulted in being double charged

The language was removed from their website.
We've had similar issues with multiple agencies. Even the ones you can open/close on the windshield. We had their closed. I had added the plate to my own sunpass and some of the tolls went to their while others went to mine and I had to pay their ridiculous daily fees. When I did pick up the Visitor toll pass and this happened they actually refunded the rental company charges and it was easier than battling with my own sunpass. But with Jetblue in terminal C i am not schlepping to Terminal A for the pass. We've been charged by Budget, Dollar, and Avis so far. I can't recall which agencies we haven't had an issue with since I have no email trail from those experiences :)

I may just aim for the cash tolls like old times at this point. For us the only tolls we encounter are from MCO to AKL. Once we are onsite we don't head anyplace with tolls until heading back to MCO

We've had similar issues with multiple agencies. Even the ones you can open/close on the windshield. We had their closed. I had added the plate to my own sunpass and some of the tolls went to their while others went to mine and I had to pay their ridiculous daily fees. When I did pick up the Visitor toll pass and this happened they actually refunded the rental company charges and it was easier than battling with my own sunpass. But with Jetblue in terminal C i am not schlepping to Terminal A for the pass. We've been charged by Budget, Dollar, and Avis so far. I can't recall which agencies we haven't had an issue with since I have no email trail from those experiences :)

I may just aim for the cash tolls like old times at this point. For us the only tolls we encounter are from MCO to AKL. Once we are onsite we don't head anyplace with tolls until heading back to MCO
The problem is that even the cash lanes have toll transponder readers. So they can still pick up the transponder. The problem seems to be with agencies that have their own transponder instead of using plate pass. I know that Alamo doesn't have transponders in the car, so if you have your own it should read your transponder. If it doesn't it will go by plate and as long as you have it registered it should be fine.

Did you have your sunpass in the window or were you relying on the plate finding your sunpass account before the rental companies? Relying on the plate, I would guess it that the one tolling agency found your account and one found the rental companies account first.
As @dioxide45 pointed out, there are still transponder readers at the cash lanes. I had it happen with Avis once where my passenger opened the transponder cover and the toll booth read the transponder so I couldn't pay cash.

Did you have your sunpass in the window or were you relying on the plate finding your sunpass account before the rental companies? Relying on the plate, I would guess it that the one tolling agency found your account and one found the rental companies account first.
As @dioxide45 pointed out, there are still transponder readers at the cash lanes. I had it happen with Avis once where my passenger opened the transponder cover and the toll booth read the transponder so I couldn't pay cash.
It was on the window. We didn’t use the cash lanes for these trips but that’s concerning for future trips.

We definitely had closed theirs when we attached ours to the windshield.

In two instances, they billed some tolls to ours and some to theirs so I’m not sure if the transponder was read or if it billed the plate even though I’d registered it.

Last edited:

The problem is that even the cash lanes have toll transponder readers. So they can still pick up the transponder. The problem seems to be with agencies that have their own transponder instead of using plate pass. I know that Alamo doesn't have transponders in the car, so if you have your own it should read your transponder. If it doesn't it will go by plate and as long as you have it registered it should be fine.
This is good to know! If prices are comparable I’ll lean towards Alamo then

I sometimes think “Florida government” has tried to create tolls surrounding Disney in all directions.
.I thought driving down John Young Parkway would be safe Nope installing overhead high tech tolls .

If you to avoid that Pay-By-Plate toll, get on to SR-417 at CR-426/Lake Mary Blvd and then exit at at I-Drive (exit 6). Red Cleveland Blvd out of the airport will take you to E Lake Mary Blvd.
Thanks for the information. It was correct.
On the way back to the Sanford airport we got on the 417 at Osceola Parkway. There was a $1.25 exact change toll. I had quarters but perhaps there is a better location to get on the 417 to go back to Sanford?

Thanks for the information. It was correct.
On the way back to the Sanford airport we got on the 417 at Osceola Parkway. There was a $1.25 exact change toll. I had quarters but perhaps there is a better location to get on the 417 to go back to Sanford?
If you get on 417 from World Center Drive (FL 536)/I-Drive rather than Osceola Parkway, you avoid that exact change toll. It’s not quite as convenient if you’re coming from Animal Kingdom Lodge, Pop Century, or All Stars but otherwise the normal way we head out from the Epcot resorts or Magic Kingdom resorts areas.

If you get on 417 from World Center Drive (FL 536)/I-Drive rather than Osceola Parkway, you avoid that exact change toll. It’s not quite as convenient if you’re coming from Animal Kingdom Lodge, Pop Century, or All Stars but otherwise the normal way we head out from the Epcot resorts or Magic Kingdom resorts areas.
Thank you!

Hello!
We are coming down this week and renting a car. I would like to pay cash for the tolls from MCO to Disney. Waze usually takes us the 528 route to I4 which is fine. My question is does anyone know the exact toll amount and if they need exact change?

We are renting for the 1st time from Hertz. Do they have the transponder stuck in the car and you have to move it to the closed/off position if we use cash? I do not want to get double charged.

Hello!
We are coming down this week and renting a car. I would like to pay cash for the tolls from MCO to Disney. Waze usually takes us the 528 route to I4 which is fine. My question is does anyone know the exact toll amount and if they need exact change?

We are renting for the 1st time from Hertz. Do they have the transponder stuck in the car and you have to move it to the closed/off position if we use cash? I do not want to get double charged.
Hertz uses Plate Pass, not a transponder. I believe that if you can pay cash there is a person in a booth that you pay. I know that is the case on 417, but not sure about on I-4

Hertz uses Plate Pass, not a transponder. I believe that if you can pay cash there is a person in a booth that you pay. I know that is the case on 417, but not sure about on I-4
So Plate Pass is the electronic reader that reads the plate and then bills you? Does Hertz at the counter tell you to opt in or opt out or do you have to explicitly tell them? I've read horror studios about nothing be said at the counter and then the person gets the bill later.

So Plate Pass is the electronic reader that reads the plate and then bills you? Does Hertz at the counter tell you to opt in or opt out or do you have to explicitly tell them? I've read horror studios about nothing be said at the counter and then the person gets the bill later.
I think that Hertz has multiple options. There are no transponders in most of their FL rental vehicles (although if you get a car license-plated in one of the Northern or Midwestern states, it might have an installed EZPass transponder). If you opt into their Plate Pass All-inclusive Tolling program, you pay $9.99 per rental day and all tolls are included. Not a great option. Opt out and just use the regular Plate Pass program and pay $5.95 plus tolls for those rental days where toll charges are incurred using pay-by-plate. Provide your own transponder or use the Visitor Toll Pass program at MCO and avoid rental company charges, or pass cash and avoid rental company charges. This last option breaks down if you happen to hit one of the unmanned toll locations in the Orlando area. It’s not a problem using 528 to I4 going to/from WDW. Taking the South airport exit and using 417, I think you need to exit at exit 6.

I think that Hertz has multiple options. There are no transponders in most of their FL rental vehicles (although if you get a car license-plated in one of the Northern or Midwestern states, it might have an installed EZPass transponder). If you opt into their Plate Pass All-inclusive Tolling program, you pay $9.99 per rental day and all tolls are included. Not a great option. Opt out and just use the regular Plate Pass program and pay $5.95 plus tolls for those rental days where toll charges are incurred using pay-by-plate. Provide your own transponder or use the Visitor Toll Pass program at MCO and avoid rental company charges, or pass cash and avoid rental company charges. This last option breaks down if you happen to hit one of the unmanned toll locations in the Orlando area. It’s not a problem using 528 to I4 going to/from WDW. Taking the South airport exit and using 417, I think you need to exit at exit 6.
What do you mean by a cash option breaking down if you happen to hit an unmanned location? I will have cash ready for the one toll on 528 (quarters and dollars). We won't be hitting any other tolls just to and from MCO airport

What do you mean by a cash option breaking down if you happen to hit an unmanned location? I will have cash ready for the one toll on 528 (quarters and dollars). We won't be hitting any other tolls just to and from MCO airport
As I said, there is no problem on 528 (from the North exit of MCO) between the airport and I4 so long as you have cash available. As clearly stated, the note about unmanned toll ramps was regarding using the South exit of MCO onto 417, where there are unmanned exits (Orange Blossom Trail comes to mind) that only take coins or transponder/pay-by-plate.

Sometimes the Waze directions between MCO and WDW recommends the 528-I4 (North exit) route and sometimes it recommends the 417 (South exit) route. Waze responds dynamically to traffic conditions and there are some times of day where I4 gets very congested. Recent construction on 417 has made the southern route less attractive some days, so it might be a coin flip. In either case, the normal WDW exit points from either 528 or 417 permit paying cash for all the tolls. The cash toll on 528 between MCO and I4 is $3.00. Alternately, cash tolls on 417 between MCO and World Center Drive/I-Drive (exit 6) total $3.50 (2 tolls @$1.75 each).

As I said, there is no problem on 528 (from the North exit of MCO) between the airport and I4 so long as you have cash available. As clearly stated, the note about unmanned toll ramps was regarding using the South exit of MCO onto 417, where there are unmanned exits (Orange Blossom Trail comes to mind) that only take coins or transponder/pay-by-plate.

Sometimes the Waze directions between MCO and WDW recommends the 528-I4 (North exit) route and sometimes it recommends the 417 (South exit) route. Waze responds dynamically to traffic conditions and there are some times of day where I4 gets very congested. Recent construction on 417 has made the southern route less attractive some days, so it might be a coin flip. In either case, the normal WDW exit points from either 528 or 417 permit paying cash for all the tolls. The cash toll on 528 between MCO and I4 is $3.00. Alternately, cash tolls on 417 between MCO and World Center Drive/I-Drive (exit 6) total $3.50 (2 tolls @$1.75 each).
Thank you very much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter