Does the 528 and 417 still have cash tolls?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
We will be renting a car at MCO, taking the 528 to the I drive area upon arrival, and then will likely take the 417 to return the car from Disney to MCO at the end of the trip .

I've read Florida is transitioning to cashless systems for its tolls. Does the 528 still have un-manned cash toll options? I'm Canadian but have a bunch of US quarters I'm hoping to use up (rather than purchase a Visitor Toll Pass).I assume the toll amounts will still be in 25 cent increments.

We will be renting a car at MCO, taking the 528 to the I drive area upon arrival, and then will likely take the 417 to return the car from Disney to MCO at the end of the trip .

I've read Florida is transitioning to cashless systems for its tolls. Does the 528 still have un-manned cash toll options? I'm Canadian but have a bunch of US quarters I'm hoping to use up (rather than purchase a Visitor Toll Pass).I assume the toll amounts will still be in 25 cent increments.
Yes, they still accept cash. The website for the Central Florida Expressway Authority will have the most up to date information for those two roadways. It will also tell you what the toll rates are at each booth, so you can plan ahead.

There are two separate toll collecting groups, the Florida Turnpike Authority and the Expressway Authority. The Turnpike Authority is the one going to cashless tolls but they don’t control the 528 or 417.

I don't believe that anywhere in the orlando area has unmanned toll booths anymore. If you want to pay cash you have to see the attendant. I know that 528 east of Orlando does not have them anymore.

Yes, they still accept cash. The website for the Central Florida Expressway Authority will have the most up to date information for those two roadways. It will also tell you what the toll rates are at each booth, so you can plan ahead.

There are two separate toll collecting groups, the Florida Turnpike Authority and the Expressway Authority. The Turnpike Authority is the one going to cashless tolls but they don’t control the 528 or 417.
Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise operates the westernmost eight miles of SR-528 as the Beachline Expressway West. (It also operates a section of SR-417, north of Aloma Ave., but the OP won't be that far north.)

I don't believe that anywhere in the orlando area has unmanned toll booths anymore. If you want to pay cash you have to see the attendant. I know that 528 east of Orlando does not have them anymore.
There are unmanned booths all along SR-417, SR-429, and SR-408 at the exits. There is also a cash lane at the toll exits on SR-528 (see pic above).

Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise operates the westernmost eight miles of SR-528 as the Beachline Expressway West. (It also operates a section of SR-417, north of Aloma Ave., but the OP won't be that far north.)
FTE also operates the eastern most section of SR-528 (from SR-520 to Brevard Cnty) the last toll is at Dallas Blvd in the CFX section. and the southern end of SR-417 (from International Drive exit to I-4).

Central FL Toll System Map: https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/07.16.18CFX-vs-FTE-RoadsHighlighted-Map.pdf
FTE tollroads are green
CFX tollroads are purple

Last edited:
FTE also operates the eastern most seven (or so) miles of SR-528 (from just east of MCO to I-4). and the southern end of SR-417 (from International Drive exit to I-4).

Central FL Toll System Map: https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/07.16.18CFX-vs-FTE-RoadsHighlighted-Map.pdf
FTE tollroads are green
CFX tollroads are purple
That's the westernmost miles I mentioned. 😉 FTE does operate the easternmost section of 528, too, but the OP won't be there, either. But thanks for adding the other bit of 417.

That's the westernmost miles I mentioned. 😉 FTE does operate the easternmost section of 528, too, but the OP won't be there, either. But thanks for adding the other bit of 417.
I was actually thinking of the eastern section from SR-520 into Brevard County, but not enough coffee at that time.

Yea, watch out for the exits from 417 that require a transponder or coins to exit...unmapped.

Also don't use the express lanes on I-4 through the Orlando area without a transponder.

You can bring your E-Zpass from another state now (and a small roll of packing tape to fix it to the window)

If you rent a car, be sure you know if it is equipped with a transponder and their policies. It may be fixed to the window and not removable if you bring your own. If it is removable there is a visitor toll transponder available or bring your own. If it is not removeable you have to pay their fees on top of tolls. Fees can be absurd.

I have a transponder, so I'm not sure. But there are a bunch of signs that say that you will be charged by plate and mailed a bill, which makes me think there aren't cash tolls anymore.

https://visitortollpass.com/ this is also an option there is a kiosk in MCO with the tags you check one out and use it instead of the rental car surcharge. you just need to drop it off before you fly out.
One big issue with VTP is that there is currently only one kiosk which is located in Terminal A. They are going to add kiosks in Terminals B & C, but there appears to be a delay in getting them built and delivered.

Just back - the 528 did have cash lanes at the one toll between MCO and the I-drive area. They are well enough separated from the other kiosks such that I can't see how the plate would be scanned.

Just back - the 528 did have cash lanes at the one toll between MCO and the I-drive area. They are well enough separated from the other kiosks such that I can't see how the plate would be scanned.
Even the cash lanes have cameras and transponder readers. If you stop and pay the cash toll, toll-by-plate should not be used. This is also why it's important to close the box if there is a physical transponder in the vehicle.

Even the cash lanes have cameras and transponder readers. If you stop and pay the cash toll, toll-by-plate should not be used. This is also why it's important to close the box if there is a physical transponder in the vehicle.
Had this happen years ago where I went to pay cash and my passenger had opened the transponder box. Transponder was read and I got charged by the rental company.

https://visitortollpass.com/ this is also an option there is a kiosk in MCO with the tags you check one out and use it instead of the rental car surcharge. you just need to drop it off before you fly out.
BUT
you need a car company that will remove their transponder. Some won't, they are permanent. If you go through with two transponders they may BOTH ping, one ping, or the other can ping. It's random.

Then you have a 3-way problem. Toll authority, rental company, and you. You have to show records of both sets of charges to both companies and get each to drop charges taken by the other.

Source: 3 weeks of hell after a trip where this happened.

BUT
you need a car company that will remove their transponder. Some won't, they are permanent. If you go through with two transponders they may BOTH ping, one ping, or the other can ping. It's random.

Then you have a 3-way problem. Toll authority, rental company, and you. You have to show records of both sets of charges to both companies and get each to drop charges taken by the other.

Source: 3 weeks of hell after a trip where this happened.
What company? I've never seen an EZ Pass transponder in a rental car that does not have a way to turn it off. I've rented from all of the majors at MCO and many of the lessers.

Well, as some have predicted, despite paying at the cash lanes Avis ended up charging me $22 USD for my two tolls. I didn't even see the physical transponder in the rental. As I did not get receipts for paying cash at the toll, I unfortunately have no way to counter Avis' claims. It's Visitor Toll Pass for me going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter