Do you think Disney has lost all hope when it comes to the Oscars?

Do you think Disney has lost chances at the Oscars?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Ever since Disney made history in 1991 when Beauty And The Beast became the first animated film to be nominated for Best Picture at the 1991 Academy Awards but sadly lost Best Picture to Silence Of The Lambs having a Disney movie being nominated for Best Picture made a huge milestone in history for Disney. But ever since that historic milestone in history in 1991 I seem to think that Disney has lost all hope for any of their animated movies winning Oscars every Academy Awards every year and I can't seem to figure it out why Disney started to do this. With the exception of Disney/Pixar's Soul winning an Oscar in 2021 along with Onward also in the running I think it shows why Disney has started to lose faith in the Oscars. I think Disney's Wish should've won the Oscar for Best Animated Film or Elemental should've won it because Wish and Elemental were hit movies and were great. I also think the studio that has taken some of Disney's glory away from them at the Oscars is Dreamworks because when Disney and Dreamworks movies get nominated for Oscars Dreamworks movies always win Oscars rather than Disney movies. Take for example when The Princess And The Frog was nominated for an Oscar in 2010 but Dreamworks Madagascar 2 won the Oscar rather than The Princess And The Frog and the same with Wall-E which also lost to a Dreamworks films and I think Disney is focusing more on improving their movie audience rather than winning awards for movies these days and the other time that Disney won any Oscars was for Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews winning Best Actress. So I think Disney is trying something new to get a new generation of fans to like their movies

As I mentioned in my opening post I think Dreamworks is the one responsible for stealing Disney's thunder at each Oscars because I think Dreamworks wants to be like Disney and every single movie that wins Oscars in animated films are Dreamworks while Disney now wins few Oscars for their animated movies. I bet when was the last time Disney won an Oscar for an animated film other than Mary Poppins and the last Disney animated films to win lots of Oscars was Frozen and Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. But ever since Onward and Soul were nominated for Best Animated Film at the 2021 Oscars Onward should've won because Onward was a hit while Soul was a smart hit but I think it was mainly because of Jamie Foxx in the role of Joe Gardner that made Soul win

Yes, Disney has chosen didacticism over creativity for at least ten years now. Have you ever read any children’s literature that is ideologically motivated? Drivel. Boring. It doesn’t matter if the ideology is a good one or a bad one. Stories have to have real story archs and touch on universal truths that inspire and bring humanity together. Disney doesn’t do that anymore. They write these non sequitor stories that virtue signal to different created interest groups and reduce people to single categories. Disney’s stories today are truly boring to the point of being unwatchable. It always cracks me up now when you see Bob Iger and the execs mention how they are story tellers. Hahaha. No you’re not. And you’re not even business people. Imposters.

What the heck is everyone talking about? Here's a list of winners for best Animated feature for the past decade:

2012: Brave
2013: Frozen
2014: Big Hero 6
2015: Inside Out
2016: Zootopia
2017: Coco
2018: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2019: Toy Story 4
2020: Soul
2021: Encanto
2022: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
2023: The Boy and the Heron

So, you know, they're doing alright there!

It's actually a feat when a non Disney or Dreamworks movie wins the Oscar seeing as it's not a requirement to watch every candidate for the best Animated Feature category and the voters usually pick whatever their kid has seen.

Last year's winner Pinocchio and Boy and the Heron deserved their wins; they were significantly better than the Disney movies that were nominated. Spiderverse in 2018 was also WAY better than Ralph Breaks the Internet and I'm glad it got the recognition it deserved.

As for Disney's current line up, I do think there needs to be a shake up. The stuff they're putting out lately has ranged from fine to bad. I'm hopeful for Inside Out 2 but have zero interest in the other sequels the company is putting out.

Considering how a lot of films were produced by Searchlight Pictures (aka Disney) and won, no. If speaking to animation, then of course they're not going to win every year and that's okay. We'll still enjoy them.

Ever since Disney made history in 1991 when Beauty And The Beast became the first animated film to be nominated for Best Picture at the 1991 Academy Awards but sadly lost Best Picture to Silence Of The Lambs having a Disney movie being nominated for Best Picture made a huge milestone in history for Disney. But ever since that historic milestone in history in 1991 I seem to think that Disney has lost all hope for any of their animated movies winning Oscars every Academy Awards every year and I can't seem to figure it out why Disney started to do this. With the exception of Disney/Pixar's Soul winning an Oscar in 2021 along with Onward also in the running I think it shows why Disney has started to lose faith in the Oscars. I think Disney's Wish should've won the Oscar for Best Animated Film or Elemental should've won it because Wish and Elemental were hit movies and were great. I also think the studio that has taken some of Disney's glory away from them at the Oscars is Dreamworks because when Disney and Dreamworks movies get nominated for Oscars Dreamworks movies always win Oscars rather than Disney movies. Take for example when The Princess And The Frog was nominated for an Oscar in 2010 but Dreamworks Madagascar 2 won the Oscar rather than The Princess And The Frog and the same with Wall-E which also lost to a Dreamworks films and I think Disney is focusing more on improving their movie audience rather than winning awards for movies these days and the other time that Disney won any Oscars was for Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews winning Best Actress. So I think Disney is trying something new to get a new generation of fans to like their movies

Did you see "The Boy and the Heron" ? Def deserving of the 0scar-

I think the only movies that win Oscars for Disney now is the live-action movies because that's the big huge movie trend now. Take for example 2008's Enchanted won a Oscar for Happy Working Song in the Best Song category and Enchanted was an alright movie but how Disney can face competition with Dreamworks and also now Netflix in the animation department is a surprise to me because at the 2021 Academy Awards Onward and Soul were competing against Netflix's movie Over The Moon and I think in a few years Disney+ exclusive movies will win Oscars for Best Animated Movie in the future

Did you see "The Boy and the Heron" ? Def deserving of the 0scar-
Not yet, but I've heard great things about it. This has only been the second time Studio Ghibli and any Japanese studio has ever won the category. Given the increased awareness of Japanese works and a boost for more diversity in nominations, I can see future nominations coming from anime studios in years to come, which is going to give Disney more reason to change tact and start making quality films again, like they did in the 2010s and the Renaissance heyday of the 1990s.
I think the only movies that win Oscars for Disney now is the live-action movies because that's the big huge movie trend now. Take for example 2008's Enchanted won a Oscar for Happy Working Song in the Best Song category and Enchanted was an alright movie but how Disney can face competition with Dreamworks and also now Netflix in the animation department is a surprise to me because at the 2021 Academy Awards Onward and Soul were competing against Netflix's movie Over The Moon and I think in a few years Disney+ exclusive movies will win Oscars for Best Animated Movie in the future
The issue, though, which links into general criticism over Disney's recent strategy, is that they've been too focused on remaking existing classics with the added dimension of DEI, and the in-production live action Snow White has already been attacked over a change in direction that steers away from the original story and into pseudo-girlboss territory, which goes against the original premise of the story, and even infighting amongst those with dwarfism over the Seven Dwarfs. Not to mention that Rachel Zegler's public comments re the original hasn't helped matters. As for animated features, there's the problem of 'cookie cutterism' that's made Disney's recent features become less Oscar-worthy, and intensifying competition from other studios that's creating tougher competition than there was in the 2010s, particularly with the rise of Netflix as an original producing studio, and the increased broadening of nominations outside of the Anglosphere away from just the Best International (Foreign Language) Feature Film category, which worked in Studio Ghibli's favour, is making the category more competitive. Then again, Disney still has the most wins of any studio overall in the Best Animated Feature category with 15 wins (11 of which are Pixar, 4 of which are WDAS), as much as there's the threat of increased competition from streaming services commissioning their own works.

Not yet, but I've heard great things about it. This has only been the second time Studio Ghibli and any Japanese studio has ever won the category. Given the increased awareness of Japanese works and a boost for more diversity in nominations, I can see future nominations coming from anime studios in years to come, which is going to give Disney more reason to change tact and start making quality films again, like they did in the 2010s and the Renaissance heyday of the 1990s.

The issue, though, which links into general criticism over Disney's recent strategy, is that they've been too focused on remaking existing classics with the added dimension of DEI, and the in-production live action Snow White has already been attacked over a change in direction that steers away from the original story and into pseudo-girlboss territory, which goes against the original premise of the story, and even infighting amongst those with dwarfism over the Seven Dwarfs. Not to mention that Rachel Zegler's public comments re the original hasn't helped matters. As for animated features, there's the problem of 'cookie cutterism' that's made Disney's recent features become less Oscar-worthy, and intensifying competition from other studios that's creating tougher competition than there was in the 2010s, particularly with the rise of Netflix as an original producing studio, and the increased broadening of nominations outside of the Anglosphere away from just the Best International (Foreign Language) Feature Film category, which worked in Studio Ghibli's favour, is making the category more competitive. Then again, Disney still has the most wins of any studio overall in the Best Animated Feature category with 15 wins (11 of which are Pixar, 4 of which are WDAS), as much as there's the threat of increased competition from streaming services commissioning their own works.

<< This has only been the second time Studio Ghibli and any Japanese studio has ever won the category.>>. Yep, and many others were certainly worthy!!! "

"Howl's Moving Castle" for starters, but too many brilliant Studio Ghibli films to count !!!​

I also think that Disney has had a lot on their plate and surprisingly the live-action version of The Little Mermaid wasn't even nominated for an Oscar when it would've been nice to see Halle Bailey's version of Part Of Your World be nominated for Best Song. But I think that animated movies not just Disney animated movies have gone downhill because after the disappointment of Strange World Disney vowed to go back to the old formula of making great animated films that will win Oscars once more. Hopefully Inside Out 2 will make Disney and Pixar proud. Another company that hasn't won Oscars for it's movies much is Marvel and if Marvel and Disney developed an animated Avengers Campus movie I can tell you it would indeed win a ton of Oscars

<< This has only been the second time Studio Ghibli and any Japanese studio has ever won the category.>>. Yep, and many others were certainly worthy!!! "

"Howl's Moving Castle" for starters, but too many brilliant Studio Ghibli films to count !!!​

Like when Big Hero 6 beat The Tale of Princess Kaguya, which is a significantly better film. Not saying Big Hero 6 is bad by any means (it's middle of the road) but that is one of Studio Ghibli's best.

But I am so confused as to why the OP thinks Disney is doomed. They've dominated the category for almost all of its history and it's nice that other studios get to have their work recognized.

Like when Big Hero 6 beat The Tale of Princess Kaguya, which is a significantly better film. Not saying Big Hero 6 is bad by any means (it's middle of the road) but that is one of Studio Ghibli's best.

But I am so confused as to why the OP thinks Disney is doomed. They've dominated the category for almost all of its history and it's nice that other studios get to have their work recognized.

Luv "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" !!! Studio Ghibli's/Miyazaki's films are unmatched -- in terms of depth, animation, characters, and storyline !!!

< But I am so confused as to why the OP thinks Disney is doomed>>

Totally agree !!! Especially Pixar- "Soul" was excellent, and is pretty recent- and after a slow start, "Elemental" did great at the box office !!!

What the heck is everyone talking about? Here's a list of winners for best Animated feature for the past decade:

2012: Brave
2013: Frozen
2014: Big Hero 6
2015: Inside Out
2016: Zootopia
2017: Coco
2018: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2019: Toy Story 4
2020: Soul
2021: Encanto
2022: Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
2023: The Boy and the Heron

So, you know, they're doing alright there!

Let’s guess that the latest winner, Encanto, took 6 years to develop. That puts it at 2015. It’s a very different company from 2015. Watch Princess and the Frog, and then Wish. One is really good, one is really, despicably bad, both by WDAS, and that’s a span of 15 years and the companies might as well be completely different.

I mean, if anytihng, other animation studios are stepping it up, which can only be a good thing for the entire industry. And I haven't thought Disney's recent releases were bad either, just not so amazing that they would win an oscar.

Let’s guess that the latest winner, Encanto, took 6 years to develop. That puts it at 2015. It’s a very different company from 2015. Watch Princess and the Frog, and then Wish. One is really good, one is really, despicably bad, both by WDAS, and that’s a span of 15 years and the companies might as well be completely different.

Man, I wouldn't call The Princess and the Frog despicably bad.... 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter