Do you think Disney has lost all hope when it comes to the Oscars?

Do you think Disney has lost chances at the Oscars?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean, if anytihng, other animation studios are stepping it up, which can only be a good thing for the entire industry. And I haven't thought Disney's recent releases were bad either, just not so amazing that they would win an oscar.
The only "bad" movie they've made recently is Wish. The others are fine/passable or I haven't seen them so I cannot comment (ex. Strange World).

Other studios have been making fantastic for years but they were always sidelined for the Disney or Dreamworks offering. Which is to be expected from the Oscars. I'm just confused as to why it's seemed as "Disney is doomed!" when they're not dominating anymore.

I mean, if anytihng, other animation studios are stepping it up, which can only be a good thing for the entire industry. And I haven't thought Disney's recent releases were bad either, just not so amazing that they would win an oscar.

<other animation studios are stepping it up>

And Miyazaki isnt done yet !!! :))

The only "bad" movie they've made recently is Wish. The others are fine/passable or I haven't seen them so I cannot comment (ex. Strange World).

Other studios have been making fantastic for years but they were always sidelined for the Disney or Dreamworks offering. Which is to be expected from the Oscars. I'm just confused as to why it's seemed as "Disney is doomed!" when they're not dominating anymore.

I rather enjoyed Wish. I liked it better than Strange World, which was a movie really made "for me" - and I did like it too, but it needed a little more fleshing out. Wish was more in the classic Disney movie vein.

<<. I rather enjoyed Wish<<

l enjoyed Wish as well, but given the choice, l would rewatch "Leo" --- and really liked "Nimona" !!!

l enjoyed Wish as well, but given the choice, l would rewatch "Leo" --- and really liked "Nimona" !!!

That's fair. Just lots of bashing on Wish - I don't get it. It wasn't like the best thing ever or anything, but it wasn't bad either. I really liked the animation style. No, it wasn't quite as good as the Rennaissance era films, or even the "Second Renaissance" era ones - but what is? Those are very high bars to pass. It was still rather enjoyable.

From Google "one almost criminal omission from the Best Animated Film category was the absence of "Ponyo," Hayao Miyazaki's latest work for Studio Ghibli.Feb 8, 2010"

I rather enjoyed Wish. I liked it better than Strange World, which was a movie really made "for me" - and I did like it too, but it needed a little more fleshing out. Wish was more in the classic Disney movie vein.
If Wish was the more enjoyable movie for you, then I'll probably skip Strange World...

From Google "one almost criminal omission from the Best Animated Film category was the absence of "Ponyo," Hayao Miyazaki's latest work for Studio Ghibli.Feb 8, 2010"

Foreign films often don't get a fair shake in any category. That's why they have "Best Foreign Film" as a category. The animation category doesn't have enough contenders for that I don't think.

Nimona was great. I'm glad that it succeeded despite Disney trying to get rid of it. Some of the backgrounds look unfinished but it was still an enjoyable film with a powerful message.

If Wish was the more enjoyable movie for you, then I'll probably skip Strange World...

Both were pretty good, but Strange World just needed a little more fleshing out with some stuff at the end. I do like that Wish had a legitimate, classic-style villain, and not even a gotcha surprise villain, but just a bad guy.

Foreign films often don't get a fair shake in any category. That's why they have "Best Foreign Film" as a category. The animation category doesn't have enough contenders for that I don't think.
They don't get a fair stake in the animation category because the voters don't watch every movie before voting. They admit this publicly.

Nimona was great. I'm glad that it succeeded despite Disney trying to get rid of it. Some of the backgrounds look unfinished but it was still an enjoyable film with a powerful message.

Yes !!! And Chloë Grace Moretz so good !!!

I don't think I would put it that way - Disney didn't "try to get rid of it" or anything, they just closed down BlueSky and cancelled all productions. That phrasing makes it sound like it was specifically about that specific movie. I do think that closing down BlueSky was a mistake.

They don't get a fair stake in the animation category because the voters don't watch every movie before voting. They admit this publicly.

Do they watch all of the movies in other categories? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't think I would put it that way - Disney didn't "try to get rid of it" or anything, they just closed down BlueSky and cancelled all productions. That phrasing makes it sound like it was specifically about that specific movie. I do think that closing down BlueSky was a mistake.

According to animators that worked on Nimona, the film received HEAVY pushback from leadership at Disney due to the film's LGBT themes and that is partially why it was canceled despite being mostly completed. If this was one employee saying this, then fine but it was multiple.

Academy voters have also said publicly that they ask their grandkids which movies to vote for so I mean LOL

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/01/oscars-stephen-king-carey-mulligan-watch-the-movies

lnteresting read...

That's fair. Just lots of bashing on Wish - I don't get it. It wasn't like the best thing ever or anything, but it wasn't bad either. I really liked the animation style. No, it wasn't quite as good as the Rennaissance era films, or even the "Second Renaissance" era ones - but what is? Those are very high bars to pass. It was still rather enjoyable.

I know I’m gonna get hate for this comment, but the target audience for Wish wasn’t 30+ year old adults. My kids hated it, and they like most of the bad Disney movies. It was a flop by box office standards, which is what matters to Disney. There is literally a conspiracy that Wish was written by AI.

According to animators that worked on Nimona, the film received HEAVY pushback from leadership at Disney due to the film's LGBT themes and that is partially why it was canceled despite being mostly completed. If this was one employee saying this, then fine but it was multiple.

Academy voters have also said publicly that they ask their grandkids which movies to vote for so I mean LOL

Well, their grandkids might be the better judges anyway. 🤣

That seems odd though considering how many other productions that Disney has put out share those themes. It's hasn't seemed to be a problem (at least not recently). At the end of the day they pulled the plug on everything at Blue Sky, and I doubt they did that over one movie.

Well, their grandkids might be the better judges anyway. 🤣

That seems odd though considering how many other productions that Disney has put out share those themes. It's hasn't seemed to be a problem (at least not recently). At the end of the day they pulled the plug on everything at Blue Sky, and I doubt they did that over one movie.
Have you seen the movie? The LGBT themes are the core of the story and are extremely prominent. It's not like a 0.2 second kiss in Lightyear.

Also this is an actual quote from an Academy voter back in 2015. You can't make this stuff up, guys.

"I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure --- Chinese --- things that nobody ever --- saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest ---. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen."

Removed the curse words to adhere to forum rules.

Have you seen the movie? The LGBT themes are the core of the story and are extremely prominent. It's not like a 0.2 second kiss in Lightyear.

Also this is an actual quote from an Academy voter back in 2015. You can't make this stuff up, guys.

"I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure --- Chinese --- things that nobody ever --- saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest ---. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen."

Removed the curse words to adhere to forum rules.

I have not. I'm just saying that I doubt that is why Disney shut down an entire studio.

That quote could essentialyl apply to any category though. It absolutely detracts from teh legitimacy of the awards as a whole, especially his dismissive comments about the foreign films included. It's pretty sad. I mean, the Oscars often have nominees and winners that "nobody" saw - it's very common.

I have not. I'm just saying that I doubt that is why Disney shut down an entire studio.

That quote could essentialyl apply to any category though. It absolutely detracts from teh legitimacy of the awards as a whole, especially his dismissive comments about the foreign films included. It's pretty sad. I mean, the Oscars often have nominees and winners that "nobody" saw - it's very common.
That wasn't my point but okay.

Quotes like this are why people are taking the Oscars less seriously as a whole tbh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter