Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh don't think it's your AP....I had discounts for 10 years straight, and its been two years since I booked last but this time? NOTHING in way of a discount....I really think its the construction reduction of rooms available and a CM told me there are a lot of conventions early November......that take up a lot of rooms. I have never had an AP.

Do we think the lounge will have a view or will be enclosed? Any chance of a deluxe room being near a staircase that we can take up to the 7th floor?

The new lounge is supposed to have a view of MK. They are the two honeymoon suites.

You would have to walk up to the sixth floor and then find the stairway that is close to the elevators in order to get up to club level via the stairs. But from what I heard, guests were not supposed to use those stairs.

Thank you for sharing! It's all very surreal here at WL. All smiles, Country Bear Jamboree and Brer Bear meet and greets, coloring sheets, games (also on cart for purchase), and bagged candy from MNSSHP. The only thing we've been told is to bring in the table and chairs from outside and to expect communication primarily by phone -- nothing yet. The arcade is still open, as are the restaurants. We had dinner at WC and they're offering the all-you-care-to-eat skillets, and plan to serve breakfast skillets in the morning. Everyone here is on the ride it out crew and our CM says they brought their sleeping bags for the basement and that they'll help sandbag once food runs out. I asked about flashlights and what to do worst case with the slider and was told we'd hear at some point.

Any chance of a deluxe room being near a staircase that we can take up to the 7th floor? I think we'll be fine having our room on floors 1-6 -- we all have fitbits and love the stairs! If we were to take the stairs, will the end result place us near the new lounge?
Unfortunately stairwell access to the 7th floor has always been limited to keep it closed to the general public. The elevators have magic band readers to grant access, but they don't have them on the 7th floor stairwell doors,which are usually locked to prevent entering the floor.

Your best bet will probably wind up being taking any stairway to the 6th floor and then the lobby elevators up to 7 then walking around the lobby perimeter to the lounge. We'll just have to see when it all reopens.

It's all very surreal here at WL. All smiles, Country Bear Jamboree and Brer Bear meet and greets, coloring sheets, games (also on cart for purchase), and bagged candy from MNSSHP

Thanks for posting an update from the lodge. It is a pain to have to deal with it all during your vacation but hopefully Disney makes the best of it.

Now that I am under 3 months until travel time I am finally letting myself obsess over my upcoming WL stay! We arrive on December 28, staying VWL studio for one night before we move to the main lodge for our platinum package - we may be some of the last guests ever to experience this offering as it goes away for 2017. We will be taking lots of tours and eating lots of yummy signatures to ease the pain of the New Year crowds :cloud9: Kook, if you log me in I will be lodging Dec 28-January 1. It'll have been a full two years by that point since our last stay at Wilderness Lodge and I am really looking forward to our return! :goodvibes

Does anyone have any idea of long they will have the lobby boarded up?

Was thinking of switching to here with a standard view room, from a pool view room at AKL, with a savings of around $115. Just a 3 night trip. But I am hesitant to do so with the construction.

The tarps were pulled down to stop hurricane winds taking the fences down, so here are some construction pictures.
tNqAOC8.jpg

You can see the steps formed in the concrete for the new quiet pool.
sfxE3qO.jpg

4E97nj1.jpg

Also they have just finished getting the pool furniture back in place from it being stacked and tied down for the hurricane.

Does anyone have any idea of long they will have the lobby boarded up?

Was thinking of switching to here with a standard view room, from a pool view room at AKL, with a savings of around $115. Just a 3 night trip. But I am hesitant to do so with the construction.

Completion dates for the project are rumored to be sometime in 2017, but based on the amount of work still going on in the South wing it will likely be on the later side of that.

The lobby is really quite functional and still beautiful with the rooms that are currently blocked off in the South Wing. They did a good job minimizing the impact.

The standard view rooms that are in use are on the North side of the North wing, and overlook construction of some cabins along the shoreline. On the higher floors they also have a great MK view however. We loved our stay here, and the construction wasn't a negative at all, but that is an individual decision for everybody.

I am just not sure if I can make the swap. I love the fact that the location is closer to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail, which would be awesome with such a short trip time wise and the savings of $115, but not sure I would be happy with the view, the lobby and surroundings.

We had courtyard view admittedly, but the construction had zero impact on our stay. The lobby being blocked off is not really noticeable and there is a fence behind the pool bar, but you had to try and look for construction.

As others say, I imagine a standard view will see more evidence of construction but that is slightly offset by the potential magic kingdom views.

Ditto to Grand and Jon. We are in what was once a woods view situated perfectly to see Wishes and glimpse the monorail from the Contemporary. You cannot beat the convenience to the parks and other resorts. Honestly, outside of this storm, we've been here so little that the construction view below and the upper floor partitions are a complete non-issue. We love it here and would have a hard time going elsewhere.

I am just not sure if I can make the swap. I love the fact that the location is closer to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail, which would be awesome with such a short trip time wise and the savings of $115, but not sure I would be happy with the view, the lobby and surroundings.
We had courtyard view admittedly, but the construction had zero impact on our stay. The lobby being blocked off is not really noticeable and there is a fence behind the pool bar, but you had to try and look for construction.

As others say, I imagine a standard view will see more evidence of construction but that is slightly offset by the potential magic kingdom views.
We stayed in a standard view room in August and had a perfect, beautiful view of Wishes (and the Contemporary). Yes, if we looked straight down we saw construction but that was the ONLY time we noticed it. The lobby, pool area, everything else we felt was truly unaffected. It took until we were leaving to catch the ME back to MCO for me to realize exactly how the south side of the lobby was blocked off on the upper levels lol!
We stayed in a pool view room at AKL in January and loved that too so I don't think that's a bad choice either, but I also don't think switching to WL is a wrong choice. In fact I'm totally missing WL, wish we hadn't already been booked on points at BCV for next month when we tried it in Aug., and wouldn't hesitate to stay at WL again during construction :love:

:yay: Good choice! We were there the week before Thanksgiving last year and were lucky enough to get to see the Christmas decorations...including the massive tree...go up!

The tree doesn't go up until the week before Thanksgiving? I thought that once Halloween was over, they put up the decorations for Christmas. Does this not include the resorts?

The tree doesn't go up until the week before Thanksgiving? I thought that once Halloween was over, they put up the decorations for Christmas. Does this not include the resorts?
After Halloween, there is a gradual buildup of Christmas decorations, but it's not immediate, and as the other poster mentions, the trees are among the last things to go up and those usually not until after the second week in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter