Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think the studios were in the main building? Are they? That woukd work!
Nope studios are in the DVC

I have stayed in both. The deluxe rooms are CL and iirc around twice the cost of the studio villa per night. We didn't utilize CL offerings enough to make up the difference nor do I think we could have.

The deluxe rooms have2 queens and a sleeper sofa while the studio has a queen, sleeper sofa and Murphy bed. The kids fought over who got to sleep on it each night

Forgive me if these are repeated questions but I am soooo confused about the construction.
Is the construction only happening at the Villas at the DVC building or is construction going on all over? I wanted the studio at the villas but hated the idea of going outside and walk to the main building every time we needed something and heard about the construction over there.
I settled on a courtyard view in March for 7 nights in the regular Wilderness Lodge building. What does it actually look like during construction? We stayed a few times in the past. Our last visit was about 8 years ago. Is the main pool completely demolished? Is the pool bar and beach area open? Is the geyser operating as usual? Is getting from one place to another impacted by construction? Will construction be finished or at least finishing up by March?
I really love the open lobby at WL and am hoping that is not affected. I also enjoyed looking at the grounds when you head out back towards the pool and beach and walking to the boat dock.
Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Forgive me if these are repeated questions but I am soooo confused about the construction.
Is the construction only happening at the Villas at the DVC building or is construction going on all over? I wanted the studio at the villas but hated the idea of going outside and walk to the main building every time we needed something and heard about the construction over there.
I settled on a courtyard view in March for 7 nights in the regular Wilderness Lodge building. What does it actually look like during construction? We stayed a few times in the past. Our last visit was about 8 years ago. Is the main pool completely demolished? Is the pool bar and beach area open? Is the geyser operating as usual? Is getting from one place to another impacted by construction? Will construction be finished or at least finishing up by March?
I really love the open lobby at WL and am hoping that is not affected. I also enjoyed looking at the grounds when you head out back towards the pool and beach and walking to the boat dock.

Here is a link to the construction thread. It will have the latest updates, including photos.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/bo...ilderness-lodge-dvc-expansion-thread.3410778/

Your courtyard view room will not have a view of the construction. The main pool and the pool bar are both open and operating normally. The geyser is still going off. We saw it last Tuesday in all its glory. :) The beach is not open at this time. There is no change to transportation except that the buses and boats are less crowded. Otherwise, the transportation is operating very nicely.

There isn't any construction in the villas building. The construction is in the south wing of the main building. The wing is closed and they are turning those rooms into DVC units. They are building cabins along the shoreline and rebuilding the villas pool. There are two new buildings going up on the beach, rumored to be restaurants. They are converting two honeymoon suites into a new lounge for club level guests. The main elevators are closed during construction but the elevators near Roaring Forks are still open.

Last edited:
Your courtyard view room will not have a view of the construction. The main pool and the pool bar are both open and operating normally. The geyser is still going off. We saw it last Tuesday in all its glory. :) The beach is not open at this time. There is no change to transportation except that the buses and boats are less crowded. Otherwise, the transportation is operating very nicely.

There isn't any construction in the villas building. The construction is in the south wing of the main building. The wing is closed and they are turning those rooms into DVC units. They are building cabins along the shoreline and rebuilding the villas pool. There are two new buildings going up on the beach, rumored to be restaurants. They are converting two honeymoon suites into a new lounge for club level guests. The main elevators are closed during construction but the elevators near Roaring Forks are still open.

Thank you for all that detailed information. That's what I was looking for. I'm kind of surprised that the main elevators are shut down. We used those a lot during our last visit.
Since I posted this morning I found that some standard view rooms opened up with the spring discounts. I decided that I could book the standard view room for $300 less that the courtyard view I had booked or I could add an extra night for the same price of the courtyard view room. I decided on the extra night. With that being said, what am I going to likely see and hear out my window now in regards to construction work?
I am hoping maybe, possibly since March is still 5 months away some of this construction might be finished???

Since I posted this morning I found that some standard view rooms opened up with the spring discounts. I decided that I could book the standard view room for $300 less that the courtyard view I had booked or I could add an extra night for the same price of the courtyard view room. I decided on the extra night. With that being said, what am I going to likely see and hear out my window now in regards to construction work?
I am hoping maybe, possibly since March is still 5 months away some of this construction might be finished???

I wouldn't worry about a standard view and construction. What you will see is the building of cabins along the shoreline North of the resort. By March these will likely be framed and roofed, so there won't be much to disturb you. There is construction going on around the resort, and the area between the South wing and the villas is closed off, and may still be by then. Currently the entire South Wing of the main building isn't in use, and based on the heavy work going on in there (interior wall removal) it likely will take some time to finish. This means you may be limited to the North Wing bank of elevators (by Roaring Fork). The lobby is open and accessible, but the rooms on the South side of it are hidden from view, and there is work on the 7th floor on both sides.

We just stayed in a Standard view room in September and loved it. We had a great view towards MK and were able to see the fireworks at night. The construction had zero effect on our view, other than to have cleared some trees which improved the view of the MK. We fear that in the future these rooms will be priced higher than Courtyard View, because in our opinion, having stayed in all three categories, these rooms have the best view.

Hi! We will be at WL in December for the first time! Doing a split stay with GF. Can anyone tell me if there are Christmas themed resort activities that time of year? Or any kind of daily activity list?

We have a bunkbed courtyard view, is there any room or area that we should request?

I admit I havent read all 231 pages.. Do any 1 bedroom DVC rooms have a chance at a MK view? Or are the availability of those only for cash rooms?

I admit I havent read all 231 pages.. Do any 1 bedroom DVC rooms have a chance at a MK view? Or are the availability of those only for cash rooms?
Since the DVC building is on the South side of the resort, the main building blocks any chance at a MK view. There are nice views of the woods though, or some have a nice view of Bay Lake to the East.

Since the DVC building is on the South side of the resort, the main building blocks any chance at a MK view. There are nice views of the woods though, or some have a nice view of Bay Lake to the East.
Thanks! That's what I gathered, but wanted to make sure.. Excited to stay there the first time staring in a few days!! A new resort to learn my way around!!

Hi! We will be at WL in December for the first time! Doing a split stay with GF. Can anyone tell me if there are Christmas themed resort activities that time of year? Or any kind of daily activity list?

We have a bunkbed courtyard view, is there any room or area that we should request?
Currently it won't make a whole lot of difference, since with Courtyard view you will be on the South side of the North wing. Your big options are whether you want to be near the lobby or further down the wing, and how high a floor you want. Our favorite would be a Courtyard view room that opens to the lobby, but there are only a few of them and only about four are in use. The lobby generates some noise from WCC, but the pool generates noise in the afternoon with the pool party, so there may not be much functional difference. The elevators are in the middle of the wing, so that might affect your request as well. Either way it will be a great room at a beautiful resort.

We haven't been for Christmas but we would love to. Seeing the tree in the lobby is beautiful, and the theme goes with the holidays so well.

Thanks! That's what I gathered, but wanted to make sure.. Excited to stay there the first time staring in a few days!! A new resort to learn my way around!!
Have fun! It is a great resort to check out, and you can go everywhere in the Villas and main building staying under one roof, which is great in the rain. It is beautiful.

Since it can be tedious reading through all the pages I just wanted to note that my friend that was in CL in July was not allowed on the balconies of the temporary lounge.

There are lots of windows and the lounge wasn't busy either so you do get a nice view of the courtyard at least.

We stopped at the WL on Tuesday, October 2016. I took a couple of pictures of the construction progress of the villas pool. It is hard to see from the picture but they are adding a zero entry section to the left. It also looks like the bubbling springs will be back. :)

609e301c-ae4c-445f-8f10-666343e460bc_zpstitawvuw.jpg

Thank you for posting some photos:)

Several years ago (I think maybe 2010), we arrived at VWL the evening of January 3rd. We were meeting cousins coming from Washington state who had a very late arriving flight around midnight. We waited in the lobby of WL for them to arrive from MCO. About 11:30 p.m. we noticed a lot of activity beginning to happen in lobby. We ended up watching several hours of the "undecorating process". It was pretty amazing to watch the process, how every single item was tagged and crated to be taken to the warehouse. A CM told us it is a special "holiday crew". I don't remember how many people on the crew, but, this crew does ALL of the decorating/undecorating and believe me, they have it down to a science. She also told us any items which need repair/replacement are tagged and noted as such and when they get to the warehouse taken care of so everything is ready to go up next year. When we got up the next morning and walked thru the Lodge there was no indication it had been decorated for Christmas just 10 hours prior.

That must have been fun to see. We left on 1/1 that year so the decorations were still up.

well, I booked a standard view room Jan 2-5 with the winter discount. Couldn't pass up a glimpse of Christmas for $230 a night :lmao: Considering upgrading to OFC, will it be back up and running regularly by then?

They are hoping that the new lounge will open by Christmas, but a CM believes it may be early 2017. I'll log your dates:)

They will also publish a monthly Activity Calendar. The link to the current one is in POST 1.

sc00a4b998.jpg

Since it can be tedious reading through all the pages I just wanted to note that my friend that was in CL in July was not allowed on the balconies of the temporary lounge.

There are lots of windows and the lounge wasn't busy either so you do get a nice view of the courtyard at least.

It was reported that guests aren't allowed on the balcony due to the fire code. The balcony was originally built for a max. room occupancy of 4, I believe. Although it did have a dining room table that seated 6.

Hello, We are coming next year on a 'Mom's Florida' trip. I grew up camping at Ft. Wilderness for our WDW trips. Alas my children are NOT campers so we have a couple nights in a DVC 1BR. Is there room for an air mattress in the living room?

How easy is it to get to Ft. Wilderness? I'm contemplating renting a golf cart to take an electric trip down memory lane.

Thanks!

They will also publish a monthly Activity Calendar. The link to the current one is in POST 1.

View attachment 200531

Thanks for posting this! :yay: I'm planning our Dec. trip schedule and had penciled in a visit to WL (we stayed there last year on our girls trip; DH is anxious to see the decorations now too). Noticing local entertainers on Dec. 11 & 13 made me rearrange our schedule to hear the holiday singing. :yay: :tink:

Hello, We are coming next year on a 'Mom's Florida' trip. I grew up camping at Ft. Wilderness for our WDW trips. Alas my children are NOT campers so we have a couple nights in a DVC 1BR. Is there room for an air mattress in the living room?

How easy is it to get to Ft. Wilderness? I'm contemplating renting a golf cart to take an electric trip down memory lane.

Thanks!

Welcome to the thread, @SeaPic!

I believe there is enough room in a one bedroom for an air mattress. Not trying to push you out of VWL, but if you love FW and your kids don't want to camp, have you considered a cabin?

It is super easy getting to FW. There are 3 options:

The concrete path goes directly to the area where the FW ponies and stables are, which is next to Pioneer Hall, TE, the marina, general store, Clementine Beach and MBBBQ.

There is also a bus and the Blue Flag boat. However, you can not drive a golf cart down the WL-FW path. They are only permitted in certain areas of FW (and are quite expensive). You can rent bikes at WL or FW and take those all around and back and forth.
Thanks for posting this! :yay: I'm planning our Dec. trip schedule and had penciled in a visit to WL (we stayed there last year on our girls trip; DH is anxious to see the decorations now too). Noticing local entertainers on Dec. 11 & 13 made me rearrange our schedule to hear the holiday singing. :yay: :tink:

You're welcome. I have a more recent Christmastime flyer for WL which I will look for later today:)

Thank you for posting some photos:)

That must have been fun to see. We left on 1/1 that year so the decorations were still up.

They are hoping that the new lounge will open by Christmas, but a CM believes it may be early 2017. I'll log your dates:)

View attachment 200531

It was reported that guests aren't allowed on the balcony due to the fire code. The balcony was originally built for a max. room occupancy of 4, I believe. Although it did have a dining room table that seated 6.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter