Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Good morning from the Polynesian! We were supposed to arrive yesterday at noon but didn’t make it until 9pm due to a mechanical flight delay.

We were able to catch some desserts in the CL lounge, but most importantly - POG juice.

This morning we are sleeping in, but I think Animal Kingdom housed the elephants in the room above us because of chilly weather or something, lol!
They are stomping so hard and loud the wall behind the bed is shaking. It’s been going nonstop since about 630am 🤣🤣

Our magic bands are not working so we’ll stop by and sort that out before we get out and about today. We just used the app to open doors, but want to make sure the bands are working since we may split off kids vs. adults today and don’t want them caught off guard.
Luckily our pre-purchased length of stay Genie plus is working fine - I’d been seeing a few reports of it causing problems, but it’s working for us.

Looking forward to getting out into the daylight today and enjoying our happy place!

DD18 and I were going to head to WDW next Dec. right after she finished finals. The cold here in CT plus the cold this week in WDW made me switch up our plans. I just booked us for a quick 3 night trip at the Poly when she finishes school in May. Looking forward to sunshine and tropical vibes at the Poly. We are in the dvc section so hopefully won’t be bothered by the construction.
We'll be there starting Memorial Day weekend, also in a DVC studio. Those longhouses are clear on the other side of the resort from construction so it should be fine. We just plan to take the monorail over to GF rather than walking when we want to eat or shop over there.

Good morning from the Polynesian! We were supposed to arrive yesterday at noon but didn’t make it until 9pm due to a mechanical flight delay.

We were able to catch some desserts in the CL lounge, but most importantly - POG juice.

This morning we are sleeping in, but I think Animal Kingdom housed the elephants in the room above us because of chilly weather or something, lol!
They are stomping so hard and loud the wall behind the bed is shaking. It’s been going nonstop since about 630am 🤣🤣

Our magic bands are not working so we’ll stop by and sort that out before we get out and about today. We just used the app to open doors, but want to make sure the bands are working since we may split off kids vs. adults today and don’t want them caught off guard.
Luckily our pre-purchased length of stay Genie plus is working fine - I’d been seeing a few reports of it causing problems, but it’s working for us.

Looking forward to getting out into the daylight today and enjoying our happy place!
Most of the time, our MagicBands won't work as a room key unless we go to the Front Desk and they have done some activation.

We arrive late tonight! Yep tomorrow I am getting POG! Well probably I will get a POGmosa since it’s NYE we can celebrate ALL day right? 🍹

If you have time can you let me know what the plans are for fireworks today? Are they giving out wrist bands? Thx!

We'll be there starting Memorial Day weekend, also in a DVC studio. Those longhouses are clear on the other side of the resort from construction so it should be fine. We just plan to take the monorail over to GF rather than walking when we want to eat or shop over there.
For what it's worth, I did the walk from GF to Poly a few times over Thanksgiving weekend. While the temporary new path bypasses the Poly construction and therefore isn't the scenic lake/beach view of the original path, it's not a bad walk at all.

For what it's worth, I did the walk from GF to Poly a few times over Thanksgiving weekend. While the temporary new path bypasses the Poly construction and therefore isn't the scenic lake/beach view of the original path, it's not a bad walk at all.
Do drivers yield properly and is it well lit? I feel like that area is always under construction and it could be dangerous in the dark.

Do drivers yield properly and is it well lit? I feel like that area is always under construction and it could be dangerous in the dark.
I did the walk from the GF to Poly twice in the daytime. I walked once in the evening at about dusk, and continued on the Poly path to the TTC to board the monorail for Epcot (there were monorail hang ups that day). In each case, drivers yielded properly at the crossing. To be honest - I had read so much about the fabled "crossing" that I was apprehensive about it. When I saw it, I actually laughed out loud. It's nothing. No big deal at all. The path had good signage, and there was lighting in the evening. From the GF to the Poly, the path basically goes from the VGF parking lot, along side the main road and across to the Poly. It's super easy. Lots of people were on the walking path. So much so that one time my daughter and I ceased our somewhat personal conversation because there were so many people walking with us.

On the way back from Epcot at the end of the night, there was another monorail hang up at the TTC. Only one line was running and no mono in sight. Line was super long. After waiting more than 15 min, many people were choosing to just walk back to the Poly and the Grand. I suggested same, but my tired teen/young adults wanted to wait. Eventually a monorail came, we loaded (crammed in), sat at the station for ages, then finally made it to the Poly where we sat stalled again for a very long time. About half of the monorail riders got off at the Poly and walked to the Grand. I wanted to do the same, but was again out voted by my group. So, I can't give you a first hand report of the nighttime lighting on the walking path. From the monorail, it appeared to be very well lit (as it runs adjacent to the street and the parking lot).

Last edited:
How noticeable is the construction here? We’d like to book a stay here this summer, but the construction has me worried, although we did stay here back in 2014 when most of the resort was under construction and we survived. Would looking into staying on the DVC side be a better option? How comfortable are the murphy beds? Better than the pullout sofas? We can’t decide what to do.

How noticeable is the construction here? We’d like to book a stay here this summer, but the construction has me worried, although we did stay here back in 2014 when most of the resort was under construction and we survived. Would looking into staying on the DVC side be a better option? How comfortable are the murphy beds? Better than the pullout sofas? We can’t decide what to do.
The construction is all on the opposite side of the resort from the DVC buildings. I personally would have no concerns about that (and will be checking into DVC in 4 days)!

I did the walk from the GF to Poly twice in the daytime. I walked once in the evening at about dusk, and continued on the Poly path to the TTC to board the monorail for Epcot (there were monorail hang ups that day). In each case, drivers yielded properly at the crossing. To be honest - I had read so much about the fabled "crossing" that I was apprehensive about it. When I saw it, I actually laughed out loud. It's nothing. No big deal at all. The path had good signage, and there was lighting in the evening. From the GF to the Poly, the path basically goes from the VGF parking lot, along side the main road and across to the Poly. It's super easy. Lots of people were on the walking path. So much so that one time my daughter and I ceased our somewhat personal conversation because there were so many people walking with us.

On the way back from Epcot at the end of the night, there was another monorail hang up at the TTC. Only one line was running and no mono in sight. Line was super long. After waiting more than 15 min, many people were choosing to just walk back to the Poly and the Grand. I suggested same, but my tired teen/young adults wanted to wait. Eventually a monorail came, we loaded (crammed in), sat at the station for ages, then finally made it to the Poly where we sat stalled again for a very long time. About half of the monorail riders got off at the Poly and walked to the Grand. I wanted to do the same, but was again out voted by my group. So, I can't give you a first hand report of the nighttime lighting on the walking path. From the monorail, it appeared to be very well lit (as it runs adjacent to the street and the parking lot).
Thanks, that's great to hear! I love walkability at WDW and was apprehensive about this temporary change.

Got a chance to use the path a few times last few days. Most drivers yielded but some didn’t. It is well lit with temporary generator run lights (with associated generator noise and fumes).

Definitely not the same peaceful walk, especially when construction is going on behind the fences, but it’s passable.

I personally found the path poorly marked on the Wedding Pavilion side but it’s not rocket science to figure it out, but may confuse some.

The below was from a run yesterday going back/forth several times showing a few routes I took through the parking lot.

A420C9CA-BF59-4668-8EBE-C0278324EFED.png

I’m booked to stay with my family end of January. We are booked standard view. What would people recommend requesting room wise that would be quiet at nighttime? Like after 9 pm?

I’m booked to stay with my family end of January. We are booked standard view. What would people recommend requesting room wise that would be quiet at nighttime? Like after 9 pm?

I’d request Rarotonga only because it looks like most of the resort construction is happening in the other side of the lava pool. Unfortunately, most of the standard rooms are on that side, but Rarotonga is on the other side of the resort. Plus, it’s very close to the Great Ceremonial House.

Greetings all! We're staying for a couple of nights immediately after the marathon! We're first timers at the Poly, and have tickets to Epcot and MK After Hours that Monday the 9th. I know our stay is short, but does anyone have a "must try" treat or favorite part of the Poly we should make sure to work into our plans on Sunday and Monday? :)

The headline attraction is the ability to get Dole Whip anytime. It’s the same as in the parks, but, you know, Polynesian.

The drinks at Tangaroa Terrace are also good, and even better if you can enjoy them inside Trader Sam’s Frog Grotto. (You’ll probably have to put your name down and wait a few hours for that one, though!)

You can get a Lapu Lapu, which is served in a pineapple. Not my favorite drink, but it’s iconic.

Tambu Lounge (upstairs by ‘Ohana) has a good drinks menu, and you can order a lot of the ‘Ohana dinner menu items a la carte. I’ve also heard tell of a Backscratcher that is served with a take-home souvenir, but haven’t tried it myself…

From Captain Cook’s (quick service) I love the tongs toast for breakfast, and the thai red curry meatballs for lunch/dinner. In fact, if I had to pick one iconic/must-have tray it would be the tonga toast. It’s banana-stuffed sourdough french toast. (You can also get it in Kona Cafe, where it is served with some additional sauces, but it’s much cheaper at CC’s.)

I’ll be there for the marathon as well, from the 4th to the 13th. Good luck, and have a great time!!

Just want to add that it is possible to order a non-alcoholic Lapu Lapu :)

Totally unrelated but I have to share:

The fridge at this DVC Poly studio is amazing! An actual freezer compartment. 😍 Not sure if this is standard though, I am in an accessible room 9FB54DA2-F925-4A07-902C-73DCF8927BE7.jpegD6BEF79F-F159-4DAC-971E-CAD8D9B8B91F.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter