Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

I know, everyone says this! We just really prefer the look of the hotel side rooms. Plus all the storage. And to us the studio bathrooms look kind of dated and two tubs isn’t that big of a draw (they should’ve made it two toilets IMO). We have two boys and no one is taking long baths, haha. Plus some of the DVC studio bldgs are really far from the ceremonial house and we prefer being more centrally located. But I agree we’re in the minority in this!

One is a tub/shower combo but the other one is just a shower, not two tubs. Huge for getting ready in the morning especially with two kids.

I mean you do you but for as much money as the Poly costs and minimal if any discounts being offered I would not be gambling with a Standard hotel side view while this construction is going on. Especially when y’all are going and it won’t just be a dirt pit view to worry about but active construction.
We’re going at the end of May/June and had our heart set on the Moana rooms ever since the first photos came out because my partner and I are both huge fans of the movie, but potentially ending up in Aotearoa is absolutely not worth it to me especially since we like to take midday breaks and spend a lot of time at the resort on trips. Everyone and their mother will be requesting Rarotonga, imo it’s the best Standard building anyway (we were there in 2018 and loved it) but with the construction happening? Good luck with that. We happily booked a studio for the same price. Moana can wait.

Even our TA strongly advised against standard at the hotel side. And I’ll be real with you, no building is super far from the GCH at that resort, it’s much more compact in person than those maps look. Even if they put you in Pago Pago at most you’re looking at 2 more minutes of walking. The other two are really no farther away than Tuvalu or Fiji when you consider the need to walk around the marina. I would really rethink this tbh. Definitely keep checking your dates because people cancel all the time leading up to the deadline for packages, and as this construction gets fully engaged I believe there will be way more. But I don’t think the pricier views will necessarily open up to the same extent since everyone will have the same idea.

@nikmasteed: How was check out? Is bell services efficient with getting bags (to catch the bus to MCO)?

Grocery delivery?
I can’t speak to DVC services, but I can tell you in our check out day I called down to bell services for a luggage cart and was told they no longer bring them to the room for check out and was instructed to “look for one in our building”. I couldn’t find one…. So I walked to bell services outside of lobby and wheeled by own cart back to my room, piled my 8 pieces of luggage and wheeled it back to check out. Thankfully our longhouse was Rarotonga and very close to the main house, but had it not been I would’ve called back and more (politely) insisted they bring me a cart. I suspect this is a result of ongoing staffing issues so I just let it go as although inconvenient it was easy enough for me to take care of on my own.

Does the locker room with the showers under the lava pool have shampoo/conditioner/body wash? Trying to figure out if I need to pack some for arrival/departure days.

I'm 99% sure there is shampoo/conditioner/body was at the Lava Pool showers. My last picture of that area was when it was closed for COVID but the contraption on the wall is there, almost certain it is back in use these days (I know for sure it is at other resorts).

Thanks! We’re actually pretty set on a hotel room and not a studio, which I know is a minority opinion. I did see the studio option maybe a month ago and briefly considered changing this preference but we really do like the hotel rooms better so decided to stick with them. Hoping i don’t regret that, haha

I'm in your camp, I prefer the hotel side to the studios... just not my thing with our crew. Dedicated beds work better for us.

Anyway as to your original question... I agree with @trishadono, it's annoying but just keep checking. I'll see stuff randomly pop up from time to time, just be ready to pounce if you do see something and maybe be flexible with the view category. No guarantees of course, but try enough and things often work out.

One is a tub/shower combo but the other one is just a shower, not two tubs. Huge for getting ready in the morning especially with two kids.

I mean you do you but for as much money as the Poly costs and minimal if any discounts being offered I would not be gambling with a Standard hotel side view while this construction is going on. Especially when y’all are going and it won’t just be a dirt pit view to worry about but active construction.
We’re going at the end of May/June and had our heart set on the Moana rooms ever since the first photos came out because my partner and I are both huge fans of the movie, but potentially ending up in Aotearoa is absolutely not worth it to me especially since we like to take midday breaks and spend a lot of time at the resort on trips. Everyone and their mother will be requesting Rarotonga, imo it’s the best Standard building anyway (we were there in 2018 and loved it) but with the construction happening? Good luck with that. We happily booked a studio for the same price. Moana can wait.

Even our TA strongly advised against standard at the hotel side. And I’ll be real with you, no building is super far from the GCH at that resort, it’s much more compact in person than those maps look. Even if they put you in Pago Pago at most you’re looking at 2 more minutes of walking. The other two are really no farther away than Tuvalu or Fiji when you consider the need to walk around the marina. I would really rethink this tbh. Definitely keep checking your dates because people cancel all the time leading up to the deadline for packages, and as this construction gets fully engaged I believe there will be way more. But I don’t think the pricier views will necessarily open up to the same extent since everyone will have the same idea.
I will do me, thanks! I said I was in the minority in preferring the hotel side but it’s my preference. Also plenty of rooms in Aotearoa are not construction facing 🤷🏻‍♀️ I have two kids under 10 and we stayed at Poly in April and I saw the distance to the ceremonial house and captain cook’s from some of the farther DVC longhouses and it just wasn’t the best for our family. But I understand different strokes! I also showed my husband both rooms and he also had a strong preference for the hotel rooms. That said, I am keeping an eye out for different room views or even CL just in case. We’re staying for 6 nights so hoping that the length of our stay will make it easier to change a room if we really get a view that’s bad but who knows.

Last edited:
FWIW I have a CL reservation
For ETPE at MK, would it be faster walking to TTC during Christmas week? We'll be in the villas.
The resort monorail doesn't get mad crazy. However the TTC direct to MK does. So you could walk to TTC but look for mono that says to resorts and stay on until MK.

Also it will depend on where your room is . If Tokelau it may be just easier/faster to get to lobby vs ttc etc.

I can’t speak to DVC services, but I can tell you in our check out day I called down to bell services for a luggage cart and was told they no longer bring them to the room for check out and was instructed to “look for one in our building”. I couldn’t find one…. So I walked to bell services outside of lobby and wheeled by own cart back to my room, piled my 8 pieces of luggage and wheeled it back to check out. Thankfully our longhouse was Rarotonga and very close to the main house, but had it not been I would’ve called back and more (politely) insisted they bring me a cart. I suspect this is a result of ongoing staffing issues so I just let it go as although inconvenient it was easy enough for me to take care of on my own.
We have roller bags and we roll our own bags to the front (learned that lesson already staying at AKL and AOA). It’s a waste of time (took 1.5 hr for someone to show up) to wait for bell services and we are usually headed to the parks for a few hours.

We have a teen so extra set of hands to deal with the stroller and roll on carryon. I would love to see a picture of the elevators. How small are they.

Bell services took 40 minutes to deposit luggage at AOA; there were barely 2 people working and the line wrapped all the way around the building to the pool. Checking out luggage there was no employee and it wasted 20 mins (they took another 20) to get our luggage. Front desk line was long (30 mins) so no one to complain to. Something to think about if you’re pressed on time waiting for the Mears bus.

FWIW I have a CL reservation

The resort monorail doesn't get mad crazy. However the TTC direct to MK does. So you could walk to TTC but look for mono that says to resorts and stay on until MK.

Also it will depend on where your room is . If Tokelau it may be just easier/faster to get to lobby vs ttc etc.
What about coming back. We are headed to WDW next week as well and will stay for fireworks and EETPH on Wed. I’m more worried about NYE. We’ve walked to the Contemporary from Mk for STK71 and it was not bad (we had to sprint from Big Thunder so did the walk/sprint in 15-20 mins). There was a security check going into MK on the walkway next to the parking lot this past spring (don’t remember there being one when we walked from Mk to STK71 in last year).

When we stayed at the Four Seasons we had to take the monorail to the TTC and then catch the bus. It took us an hour without crowds (regular bus stopped at Epcot as well)

What is the best option on NYE if we leave after midnight.

What is the best option on NYE if we leave after midnight.

You’re staying at Poly NYE? My unsolicited opinion (sorry) would be to stay at Poly for the midnight fireworks instead of the MK. Unless you just really want to be in the park, Poly is tons of fun, they reserve the beach for Poly guests, it’s usually a fun/festive atmosphere with a DJ, etc. Plus walking back to your room vs having to deal with very thick post fireworks NYE MK exit is borderline priceless.

Or if you do want to stay in the park I’d personally go ride some rides for 45 mins and let things clear out.

You’re staying at Poly NYE? My unsolicited opinion (sorry) would be to stay at Poly for the midnight fireworks instead of the MK. Unless you just really want to be in the park, Poly is tons of fun, they reserve the beach for Poly guests, it’s usually a fun/festive atmosphere with a DJ, etc. Plus walking back to your room vs having to deal with very thick post fireworks NYE MK exit is borderline priceless.

Or if you do want to stay in the park I’d personally go ride some rides for 45 mins and let things clear out.
We’re planning on bringing the younger kids back after the first fireworks (we have the dessert pre party booked) and if our teen wants to go back then one parent will go with her for the midnight fireworks. No dealing with strollers through those crowds.

We’re planning on bringing the younger kids back after the first fireworks (we have the dessert pre party booked) and if our teen wants to go back then one parent will go with her for the midnight fireworks. No dealing with strollers through those crowds.

Got it. Well good luck, I would parent veto my teen in that situation, but you’re a better parent than me. Lol.

One thing that catches people off guard 12/30 & 12/31 - since they shoot fireworks off at spots in/around the Seven Seas Lagoon they stop boat traffic for a period before and after the show, so it can take a bit for the MK-GF-Poly resort boat to restart, if that’s the transportation option you’re going for. Just FYI.

F10F99F1-4A37-435F-A8E9-532DEEF5B855.jpeg

Got it. Well good luck, I would parent veto my teen in that situation, but you’re a better parent than me. Lol.

One thing that catches people off guard 12/30 & 12/31 - since they shoot fireworks off at spots in/around the Seven Seas Lagoon they stop boat traffic for a period before and after the show, so it can take a bit for the MK-GF-Poly resort boat to restart, if that’s the transportation option you’re going for. Just FYI.

View attachment 726051
Wow. I did not know that. We were planing on riding the boat.

We have BoG booked at 8:25 pm (dessert party is just for the view; kids have allergies and don’t eat much from the allergy plate -sickeningly sweet) and we were hoping to be out around 10:30 pm.

Are the 360 degree fireworks only at the midnight show?

Also, I’ve seen the fantasy in the sky videos (most are 12/30, so lower crowds vs 12/31) and I don’t think we will ever do it again so it might be worth it to see the castle countdown once in a lifetime.

There are very few videos on exiting and how horrendous the lines are at the monorail (experienced them during spring break) but even yesterday (friend is currently in the park so I’ve been helping with planning) it was a standstill post fireworks and the backstage areas on both sides of Main Street were opened up to move people out of the park (sold out Mk day).

While I’m thinking about it, Poly NYE 11:50 show last year.

View attachment 726068

Unfortunately the current 360….
View attachment 726069

Isn’t quite the same as 2019 and earlier (image below). Still very cool though.
View attachment 726070
Other than the countdown on the castle you can’t really see the 360 fireworks well from Main Street or the Hub. This is so beautiful (I agree the 2019 ones look better).

Thanks for sharing all this great info!

Other than the countdown on the castle you can’t really see the 360 fireworks well from Main Street or the Hub. This is so beautiful (I agree the 2019 ones look better).

Thanks for sharing all this great info!
I have dd27 that would have wanted to stay in a park late as a teen. Last month she arrived at 11:30p and we still ran to MK to ride SM before park close(1am). So I get it.

However the last 3/4 years I have been to wdw for NYE. It is so difficult to just get into the park. Main st is packed with locals. I mean packed. Last year we popped in at 6;30p took a few pix and left.

Can’t remember if I have seen this posted. At 6:30p 30th and 31st is fireworks for Littles. Then the 11:50p one both nights have the count down,. I wasn’t aware of that and caught the 6:30 while on the boat last year.

I have an email to dss to find out what they are doing this year at Poly. I’ll post when I hear.

I check allears.net and wdwnt.com both have good current info.

I have dd27 that would have wanted to stay in a park late as a teen. Last month she arrived at 11:30p and we still ran to MK to ride SM before park close(1am). So I get it.

However the last 3/4 years I have been to wdw for NYE. It is so difficult to just get into the park. Main st is packed with locals. I mean packed. Last year we popped in at 6;30p took a few pix and left.

Can’t remember if I have seen this posted. At 6:30p 30th and 31st is fireworks for Littles. Then the 11:50p one both nights have the count down,. I wasn’t aware of that and caught the 6:30 while on the boat last year.

I have an email to dss to find out what they are doing this year at Poly. I’ll post when I hear.

I check allears.net and wdwnt.com both have good current info.
I just found a great post on NYE (incl. screenshots of wait times/Main Street shutsdown at 10 pm) and we do have lunch booked and plan on taking a mid day break. We will come back to watch the first show (with reserved viewing) and have dinner and exit to watch from the Poly.

Does the line for Dole whips get long?

https://disneydailydime.com/new-years-eve-magic-kingdom-tips/

and I found this from 2021 (need wristbands to enter Poly beach). I suppose we need to budget extra time for that as well;

WRISTBAND DISTRIBUTION: 5 PM on 12/31 At front desk; then at Lava Pool bar - phew

12/30 wristband distribution at front desk is until 10 pm

https://wdwnt.com/2021/12/disneys-p...years-eve-beach-party-with-fireworks-viewing/

29E5D725-DF59-4513-AB7A-022380CB34E9.jpeg

Last edited:
I just found a great post on NYE (incl. screenshots of wait times/Main Street shutsdown at 10 pm) and we do have lunch booked and plan on taking a mid day break. We will come back to watch the first show (with reserved viewing) and have dinner and exit to watch from the Poly.

Does the line for Dole whips get long?

https://disneydailydime.com/new-years-eve-magic-kingdom-tips/

and I found this from 2021 (need wristbands to enter Poly beach). I suppose we need to budget extra time for that as well;

WRISTBAND DISTRIBUTION: 5 PM on 12/31 At front desk; then at Lava Pool bar - phew

12/30 wristband distribution at front desk is until 10 pm

https://wdwnt.com/2021/12/disneys-p...years-eve-beach-party-with-fireworks-viewing/

View attachment 726257
Yep I found that not too long ago , thanks for posting. I was busy and didn’t have time to find it again.

Dolewhios can get busy! If anybody likes rum they have dolewhip and rum at Poly pools and Traders.

I guess it will depend on what they do for crowd control on how busy the lines will be, Hope it’s not bad I love dolewhios🍍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter