Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
For us it works out. We never, ever, stayed on weekends. Since OKW is our Resort of choice (most times) and since weekend stays were more than double weeknight stays, we never planned a vacation that included a weekend. NOW, if we want to check in on a Thursday-- and stay till Tuesday-- it will not be costing us our lungs. I think the change is VERY good and well thought out.

One more thought, I don't believe in their infinite wisdom, that the original DVC designers thought that the program should be a five weeknight plan. I think they never figured in the ramifications of making weekend nights so expensive.. I think it was the same people who made the one bedrooms have the only bathroom accessible only through the bedroom, or who designed a three story resort without elevators. I think it was those people who had no idea how a timeshare should work who planned the original point chart. And that chart stayed in effect for 18 years. I always thought it was skewed and I didn't like that I could never stay for a weekend. Now it is much better and the point adjustment allows members to slip away for a weekend at WDW and not worry about losing half their points by doing so. This is a readjustment..NOT a loss.. and should be viewed as such.

Change is good!! For the most part, in life, this adage proves true.

I am glad that you do consider what changes have occurred are not a loss.

The changes that have taken place ARE a loss to myself and many others.

Unsubscribing once again.

I am glad that you do consider what changes have occurred are not a loss.

The changes that have taken place ARE a loss to myself and many others.

Unsubscribing once again.
The impact on an individual or a group of individuals is not relevant to the system. The questions that have to be asked are first, can it be done and then should it be done for the good of the system and the members as a whole. IMO, the answers to all of these questions is yes and that is from one who has always stayed S-F on points.

One more thought, I don't believe in their infinite wisdom, that the original DVC designers thought that the program should be a five weeknight plan. I think they never figured in the ramifications of making weekend nights so expensive.. I think it was the same people who made the one bedrooms have the only bathroom accessible only through the bedroom, or who designed a three story resort without elevators. I think it was those people who had no idea how a timeshare should work who planned the original point chart. And that chart stayed in effect for 18 years. I always thought it was skewed and I didn't like that I could never stay for a weekend. Now it is much better and the point adjustment allows members to slip away for a weekend at WDW and not worry about losing half their points by doing so. This is a readjustment..NOT a loss.. and should be viewed as such.

Change is good!! For the most part, in life, this adage proves true.

I should have quoted this rather than just put my thoughts down.

For the record, I can view anything they way I choose. It IS a loss.

Forgot to unsubscribe, will do that right now.

I haven't seen anything new on this thread for a long time.
I feel for those who did as advised and bought the number of points they needed for their expected trips. I can see how recent members might feel blindsided. But DVC will do what it considers best for DVC. Has anyone affected by the change contacted DVC to air their concerns? Any response? I would be interested in a thread about DVC response.
Good luck to all that are having a problem with the changes.

Ok, last comment for me...anyway you want to paint this picture, when the points you bought no longer afford the stay you had with those points, there is a loss. Plain and simple. Not enough points is not enough points, doesn't matter when you go.

Ok, last comment for me...anyway you want to paint this picture, when the points you bought no longer afford the stay you had with those points, there is a loss. Plain and simple. Not enough points is not enough points, doesn't matter when you go.

And when the change nets you a few more points, there is a gain. The change resulted in gains for some and losses for others.

As I have said before, when Disney makes a change it's 99% of the time designed to benefit Disney, not their Guests or DVC Members, no matter how they spin it. Disney knows exactly how the change affected Members and they know how the change will affect future bookings.

For our family if we continue the same vacation schedule, we are short 33 points per year. :headache:

And when the change nets you a few more points, there is a gain. The change resulted in gains for some and losses for others.

Very true. For us we are gaining on some future trips and gaining on others. I completely understand some people's frustration and disappointment. But reallocation is within our agreement with DVC and i new that when I bought in.

Should they, perhaps consider allowing current members to add on less than 25 points when a reallocation occurs?

As I have said before, when Disney makes a change it's 99% of the time designed to benefit Disney, not their Guests or DVC Members, no matter how they spin it. Disney knows exactly how the change affected Members and they know how the change will affect future bookings.

For our family if we continue the same vacation schedule, we are short 33 points per year. :headache:
Even though I am a natural cynic, I don't believe that this is designed to benefit Disney. There has been plenty of credible information displayed in this thread to backup the reasons given for the changes. This change was made to benefit the whole of the system. Whenever changes like this are made to benefit the whole it usually negatively impacts more people than it benefits.

I don't know, it seems to me if this change is really more of a member benefit, the guides would be handing out the 2010 charts and pointing out how much better it will be, not just handing out 2009 charts and acting like the 2010 ones don't exist.:confused3

Should they, perhaps consider allowing current members to add on less than 25 points when a reallocation occurs?

There is an interesting idea... I wonder what would happen if they tried it. I don't recall seeing any rules in my paperwork about how future sales might be conducted!

I don't know, it seems to me if this change is really more of a member benefit, the guides would be handing out the 2010 charts and pointing out how much better it will be, not just handing out 2009 charts and acting like the 2010 ones don't exist.:confused3

I do agree that in the interest of full disclosure the 2010 point chart should be given to potential buyers, however, it is hard to sell as a benefit to potential owners who have no experience with the system. Those existing members who wanted to stay weekends but found them to be too high priced or those who have been unable to get their desired weekday reservation will benefit.

Regarding allowing purchases less than 25 points, I still think if you are short a reasonable small amount of points short you are better off just borrowing.

I agree with you entirely ....I FINALLY received this years 2009(isn't this June09 already????) planner and I had a hard time figuring out where the 2010 chart was hidden in the back behind the point sheet tracker! I kept saying to my husband I know they changed the points but I can't find the charts, isn't this June2009 half the year is over and most people have already made their reservations for 2009...then I discovered it. they are even hiding them from us.:confused3

No doubt but IMO that has nothing to do with the appropriateness of the decision. This is not about benefiting Disney but about running a timeshare and managing demand in a points based system where single day or short stay reservations are not otherwise discouraged.

Not necessarily. I think it's more of a "what's best for you but you don't know it" type of deals.

Probably not, I see no reason for them to do so. If it's not worth adding 25 points it's likely not much of an issue. More likely is they'll eventually do away with the 25 pt min and change it to 50 min, 100 if you finance.

More likely is they'll eventually do away with the 25 pt min and change it to 50 min, 100 if you finance.

I don't like that at first glance, BUT it might not adversely affect me- next add-on I make I hope could be for two or so contracts totaling 111 points (not happening anytime soon unless I win the lotto or inherit a big chunk of cash...) so I go from 210 to 321! :upsidedow [Silly I know, but the descending numbers amuse me...]

If the need to do this change is because a very large number of reservations were for S-F and not weekends, the change will have a negative impact on that larger group. The system does need to have a more even usage to work for everyone. I know the main reason for Friday and Saturday nights need to be higher other wise the weekend usage would be much higher. The trick is what is the right amount difference needed. I suspect what has been said earlier that there will be some more adjustments in the future. When they will do that is what we don't know.

...More likely is they'll eventually do away with the 25 pt min and change it to 50 min, 100 if you finance.

The original add-on limit was 25 points at your home resort and 50 to add on at a different DVC resort. I don't recall when they changed it to allow 25 point additions at any resort - but it was over 10 years ago.

If the need to do this change is because a very large number of reservations were for S-F and not weekends, the change will have a negative impact on that larger group. The system does need to have a more even usage to work for everyone. I know the main reason for Friday and Saturday nights need to be higher other wise the weekend usage would be much higher. The trick is what is the right amount difference needed. I suspect what has been said earlier that there will be some more adjustments in the future. When they will do that is what we don't know.

When DVC first opened it was supposed to be a point based system-- with enough flexibility to let you stay a day at a time-- but not a day at a time over weekends. With the advent of so many other timeshares into the Orlando market, it made/makes sense that the villas remain full at all times---- not just on low point weekdays.

We never booked a weekend stay, not because we don't like to travel on Friday or Saturday but, because those points were so extravagantly high, we just traveled on Sunday through Friday-- to save points. It became a habit.

But now, with the new point structure I don't have to be so measly about going on weekends. Sometimes a quick long weekend would do the trick but we could never do it before. NOw we can.

We always stayed off site on the weekends or used our FL residence rate (we own a winter home there) to book another Disney hotel for cash. But we NEVER stayed at a DVC resort over the weekend.

Now I am going to reserve week long vacations or long weekends. I think it will be a major boost to owners at OKW. Weekends there were often more than double a weeknight stay. It was tough to justify. The new plan just makes sense to me. I have always griped about those weekend points maybe I finally (telepathically) got my wish and was heard. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter