Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Gondola transportation does sound faster than the buses, & def more fun(unless you are afraid of heights).

But is it REALly worth paying $150 more a night to stay @ CBR (my guesstimate) than the current mod prices,
or $100 more per night to stay @ Pop,
or AoA?!

For transportion efficiency, an uber ride to HS and Epcot would be a mere fraction. And Disney is looking into offering their own uber/type service.

ALSO, there is the reasonable costing in/park to in-park transportion being offered now.

The gondola will not be going directly between Epcot & HS, will it?!

IF Disney spikes the rates of even a refurbished Pop to
high moderate/almost deluxe price
(due to being reclassified as a Gondola Resort, vs. value/mod/deluxe),

I see it as a HUGE loss for guests!
They'll definitely try and jack prices up but honestly it is what it is which is a value resort. No sit down restaurants, and really small rooms. One gondola route shouldn't make THAT much of a difference

Gondola transportation does sound faster than the buses, & def more fun(unless you are afraid of heights).

But is it REALly worth paying $150 more a night to stay @ CBR (my guesstimate) than the current mod prices,
or $100 more per night to stay @ Pop,
or AoA?!

For transportion efficiency, an uber ride to HS and Epcot would be a mere fraction. And Disney is looking into offering their own uber/type service.

ALSO, there is the reasonable costing in/park to in-park transportion being offered now.

The gondola will not be going directly between Epcot & HS, will it?!

IF Disney spikes the rates of even a refurbished Pop to
high moderate/almost deluxe price
(due to being reclassified as a Gondola Resort, vs. value/mod/deluxe),

I see it as a HUGE loss for guests!

Are those the figures you are hearing or just making them up? I mean, that would practically double Pop. I could see $20/night (which, would be $57,000 extra total per night for Disney, and just over $20m more per year at full capacity or about $17m if they run at ~80% capacity)

They'll definitely try and jack prices up but honestly it is what it is which is a value resort. No sit down restaurants, and really small rooms. One gondola route shouldn't make THAT much of a difference
Except for the fact that if Disney goes away with Value, Mod, Deluxe and more area specific then it won't just be a "value resort". It shouldn't be the same price as other resorts in the are for sure (Disney needs different price points for different amenitities) but the speculation is the room refurbs will have an impact on the price too so it's not just "one gondola route" that would drive the cost up if it does go up but multiple factors at the same time: room overhaul, gondola, recategorization/restructuring of resort categorizations. Who knows what will happen for sure but it is possible-I don't know that it would by any means double in cost overnight but it could be a creeping up there in costs (not even saying double the cost of what it is now just that it could be a decent enough change).

Are those the figures you are hearing or just making them up? I mean, that would practically double Pop. I could see $20/night (which, would be $57,000 extra total per night for Disney, and just over $20m more per year at full capacity or about $17m if they run at ~80% capacity)
I haven't heard myself any prices just speculation that it will likely go up but again not just one factor but multiple factors going on.

As far as POP costs I want to say that during the week that I'm going the rack rate was something around average of $150/night (my dates are unavailable now so it's hard to check it and I could remembering wrong too).

I'm with you on that.

I know there's "talk" of restructuring categories.

But you can't charge for a 280 sq ft room what you charge for a 400 sq ft room.

And you can't charge for a food court what you charge for multiple restaurants and bigger/better pool areas.

They all are in close proximity to Disney, since they are all on Disney property, right?

I haven't heard myself any prices just speculation that it will likely go up but again not just one factor but multiple factors going on.

As far as POP costs I want to say that during the week that I'm going the rack rate was something around average of $150/night (my dates are unavailable now so it's hard to check it and I could remembering wrong too).

i actually am looking for somewhere to stay for a few nights pre-cruise next February so just check and, my goodness, didn't realize how much rack rates are. Granted this is like winter break so maybe they are higher than normal, but a standard view room at Pop was $193/night ... that, um, does not seem worth it (unless they think the gondola is complete by then and that is post-gondola pricing)

i actually am looking for somewhere to stay for a few nights pre-cruise next February so just check and, my goodness, didn't realize how much rack rates are. Granted this is like winter break so maybe they are higher than normal, but a standard view room at Pop was $193/night ... that, um, does not seem worth it (unless they think the gondola is complete by then and that is post-gondola pricing)

I think middle of feb til the end is peak season pricing.

Either way, $200 for a value seems to be really pushing the boundaries.

Yeah. You know the thing is whenever I see posts about POP in comparison to pricing with the All-Stars I've wondered if people have looked at the rates recently enough. Someone on some thread said it was like $20 or so more per night....yeah no it was like $40 more per night than All-Star Sports was just for 2017 pricing for the week I am going. Even then All-Stars can be higher too than people commented on. At least when it comes to rack rate-never count on a discount is my motto so I mostly speak in that way when talking about pricing.

I do know that by going 9/8-9/17 versus 9/15-9/24 I'm saving roughly a little more $140 total over 9 nights worth for rack rate Standard Room just due to different pricing seasons between the weeks. {ETA: that was for rack rate but I was able to rebook the room with the room only discount and upgraded to Preferred and saved about $83 from what the rack rate was for Standard room rate. I was listing rack rate in my comment because of the difference in price just for a pricing season difference}.

For POP I know the 2018 rates were released on the 20th (I believe that was the date) but I have no idea if the rate you are seeing if due to normal or really what is considered normal nowadays or if the refurbs (which are all supposed to be done by mid-2018) have anything to do with it. People are already staying in some of the new refurbed rooms so I really don't know yet if 2018 pricing has anything to do with that part or not. Or even if the gondolas have yet to have an impact on the rate at least for 2018 pricing.

Either way yes I would agree that $193/night is quite high for sure.

Last edited:
I'm with you on that.

I know there's "talk" of restructuring categories.

But you can't charge for a 280 sq ft room what you charge for a 400 sq ft room.

And you can't charge for a food court what you charge for multiple restaurants and bigger/better pool areas.

They all are in close proximity to Disney, since they are all on Disney property, right?

That's my thinking. Plus as SWL comes online, you'll see people purposely staying at hotels in these areas as they are closer vs staying at the MK resorts. It's 5 minutes from Coronado over to HS. 20ish from the Lodge plus you have to share. If you're primarily planning on enjoying SWL, especially if they do exclusive EMH and stuff, you're not going to want to go that much further out. They will bump these properties slightly but it needs a little more for a full category level price increase. I won't be surprised to see a pool slide over at AoA at some point soon. Investment there could net a lot of extra money over the term too.

Looks great. Even if it takes longer, I'd enjoy the ride. It would be one more "attraction" between Epcot and DHS. My only concern is the stories you read of once in awhile of kids falling out of those things (a la Holiday World). But I trust Disney will have a handle on things. Thanks for the permit photos.

Looks great. Even if it takes longer, I'd enjoy the ride. It would be one more "attraction" between Epcot and DHS. My only concern is the stories you read of once in awhile of kids falling out of those things (a la Holiday World). But I trust Disney will have a handle on things. Thanks for the permit photos.

These gondolas will be completely enclosed, and look a lot like tram cars. There should be no accidental fall out. Someone would have to intentionally hold the door open or something, which I'm guessing would just cause everything to stop. These are not sky ride type gondolas. These are gondolas that are used as mass transit in many parts of the world.

Any proof of actual gondolas?

Several reliable sources have confirmed they are building gondolas including the Orlando Sentinel who got access to e-mails about the project. Also, although the permits do not specifically mention the gondolas the size shape and orientation of the structure would only make sense for a gondola system.

Several reliable sources have confirmed they are building gondolas including the Orlando Sentinel who got access to e-mails about the project. Also, although the permits do not specifically mention the gondolas the size shape and orientation of the structure would only make sense for a gondola system.

Sure it isn't a pod system similar to Heathrow, ties in with the whole driverless cars thing?

Pod would be more fitting and help WDW stand out as implementing a futuristic transportation system. So its probably the gondola system they've gone with.

I think a Pod system would have been easier to attract sponsorship for as well.....

Whatever it is, I hope it is done well. It needs to be something that will be reliable when it is still in use in 30 years time. It needs air conditioning. It needs the little disney extras like a very Disney spiel that becomes iconic to the point where people want to ride it just to hear the spiel. Plus it needs some hidden Mickeys.

Sure it isn't a pod system similar to Heathrow, ties in with the whole driverless cars thing?

Putting aside the fact the people have said it's a gondola, the station shape any layout makes much more sense for a gondola then a pod system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter