Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

IMO the recent monorail system upgrades and testing indicate that they will be adding additional trains to the line.

:earsboy: Bill
I agree. They have not spent all this time incorporating and testing automation in the current Mark VI just to scrap the whole concept within the next decade. The testing has driven the Mark VI well past the 20 year lifespan. The DLR Mark V was retired on time and the VII appeared on schedule. I expect the Mark VIII to appear in the next few years at WDW with the assumption they can keep the beams together for the next 20 years. After that, however, the question becomes interesting. I suspect the infrastructure will be about played out, especially on the EPCOT line, and capacity will have long been maxed if Park growth resumes. There are only so many trains you can run at a time. So I expect one more generation of trains at WDW and the planning for a replacement will take place in that period.

I agree. They have not spent all this time incorporating and testing automation in the current Mark VI just to scrap the whole concept within the next decade. The testing has driven the Mark VI well past the 20 year lifespan. The DLR Mark V was retired on time and the VII appeared on schedule. I expect the Mark VIII to appear in the next few years at WDW with the assumption they can keep the beams together for the next 20 years. After that, however, the question becomes interesting. I suspect the infrastructure will be about played out, especially on the EPCOT line, and capacity will have long been maxed if Park growth resumes. There are only so many trains you can run at a time. So I expect one more generation of trains at WDW and the planning for a replacement will take place in that period.
Yep lots of money and time was put into the automation. Several delays were seen in that.

Yep lots of money and time was put into the automation. Several delays were seen in that.
OTOH, why spend all that time and money if they plan to replace the rolling stock, running the risk that the new trains might be incompatible with what they've been installing?

Or maybe they've already selected a vendor and it is a very well kept secret. That would explain them declining Siemens' offer (if that rumor was true.)

Anyhow, I would be quite happy to see new trains on the existing beams instead of the other options discussed.

OTOH, why spend all that time and money if they plan to replace the rolling stock, running the risk that the new trains might be incompatible with what they've been installing?

Or maybe they've already selected a vendor and it is a very well kept secret. That would explain them declining Siemens' offer (if that rumor was true.)

Anyhow, I would be quite happy to see new trains on the existing beams instead of the other options discussed.
Credible sources have shot down the Siemens rumor.

I think Disney plans on keeping these trains as long as possible.

Credible sources have shot down the Siemens rumor.

I think Disney plans on keeping these trains as long as possible.
or until they are ready to replace them. As I said on a post about construction of the gondolas begin ordering new monorails isn't as simple as just getting a manufacturer to build them. Disney will have a list of specifications for size and length and other things that need to be taken into account. Alos with this project they probably don't want what happened with the disneyland ones to happen again. Apparently they took the original plans and also stripped down a monorail to its bare parts and found some discrepancies between the two regarding sizes and stuff like tah and both them and the company that was building the new ones decided to go with something in between. It seems like a good idea until the first new train delivered got stuck coming out of the barn.

If the International gateway station is outside the turnstyles, I'd expect the project would be a huge gain for the boardwalk area. Makes it a bit easier for Pop and CBR guest to hop to a mini shopping district. That certainly adds to the value a little bit. It doesn't change room size, but it does improve the available amenities if the gondola's run a certain length of time. Obviously if you have park hopper tickets getting inside to the world showcase is another benefit.
Gives Epcot access to all current levels of resort. Value, Moderate and Deluxe. The level corresponds to the length of transit to Epcot.

If the International gateway station is outside the turnstyles, I'd expect the project would be a huge gain for the boardwalk area. Makes it a bit easier for Pop and CBR guest to hop to a mini shopping district. That certainly adds to the value a little bit. It doesn't change room size, but it does improve the available amenities if the gondola's run a certain length of time. Obviously if you have park hopper tickets getting inside to the world showcase is another benefit.
Gives Epcot access to all current levels of resort. Value, Moderate and Deluxe. The level corresponds to the length of transit to Epcot.

I certainly think this ties in nicely with Epcot revitalization plans that will (likely) be announced at D23.

I certainly think this ties in nicely with Epcot revitalization plans that will (likely) be announced at D23.

If I had to venture a guess, it would help usher in the new era of "tierless resorts". Pop and AoA will both see room rate increases for being directly connected to two parks, but won't fit into moderate status due to room size and on-site amenities. CBR will be a Deluxe-lite with new dining and shopping options and DVC space and will also shift its prices upwards to finally utilize it's "Best location on WDW property" status.

Len Testa of Touring Plans just tweeted that groundbreaking on the Pop Century Gondala station is expected in the next 72 hours.

Len Testa of Touring Plans just tweeted that groundbreaking on the Pop Century Gondala station is expected in the next 72 hours.

Not surprising. Work has begun in the area where the boat launch will be on Hourglass lake that is probably be used to get equipment to where the station will be built.

I sure hope they announce something about it at D23. Seems everybody knows about it, so it's not a huge secret, but it would be nice to know some of the supporting details. It's a cool project in a vacuum, but we all have to know there is a lot of other stuff that goes along with it.

I like that location much better than the AoA parking lot. equidistant between the two resorts and a short walk from anywhere on site.

I agree - though it will be interesting to see how they handle the lines if it gets backed up (no idea numbers they are expecting) - the bridge isn't *that* wide

I wonder if Disney could legally "brand" these gondolas as Stark Industries to get a fake Marvel attraction?

I'm sure Comcast's lawyers would be sending a cease and desist by the time the announcement was finished.

We had an iron man monorail a while back, so theoretically, transportation outside the actual theme parks is not included in universals exclusive contract.

I've heard something interesting on the Gondola front. This could be the future of Mass transit in Disney World. According to the Disney Dish Podcast that came out on Monday, Jim Hill said this could cover everything except the Monorail loop resorts. Could a Gondola system provide high capacity transportation resort ride? If there is 16 in a vehicle with 80 vehicles, that is 1280 at any one time. Times four runs an hour meaning the theoretical capacity is only 5180. Not anywhere close to a Light Rail system (baltimore's for example) that can handle 25K an hour. I don't think there's enough capacity for this to replace buses. This may be something to drive people to the Driverless cars that Disney Dish is talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter