Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I thnik they are going to have to move the Eiffel tower anyways. It's RIGHT on the back of the building, and I can't imagine that when you are back there in the Rat area you will see it and it will look completely wrong - so they may have a plan for it already...or maybe they just don't care.

Obviously just concept art but it looks like the Eiffel Tower is in same place

upload_2018-8-5_7-52-37.jpeg

Obviously just concept art but it looks like the Eiffel Tower is in same place

View attachment 341485

I understand that - but if you look at the ACTUAL Aerial of the ride - the tower is further back and closer to the canal than in the image from the concept art - and right at the back edge of the building, which is definitely not part of the concept art - so either (a) the concept art is wrong, (b) they are planning to move the tower, (c) they are planning on expanding the backs of the buildings to "move" the tower so it won't be so close to the edge.

I also think they will be hiding the towers from that back area once the construction is done.

4b39460a-43c3-490e-97c7-566ff6a8a205-jpeg.338566

I understand that - but if you look at the ACTUAL Aerial of the ride - the tower is further back and closer to the canal than in the image from the concept art - and right at the back edge of the building, which is definitely not part of the concept art - so either (a) the concept art is wrong, (b) they are planning to move the tower, (c) they are planning on expanding the backs of the buildings to "move" the tower so it won't be so close to the edge.

I also think they will be hiding the towers from that back area once the construction is done.

4b39460a-43c3-490e-97c7-566ff6a8a205-jpeg.338566
But we don't know how they are going to connect it all. The entrance to the ride can be inside the building by the theater so you won't even be able to see outside when you are back there. I can't imagine they are going to funnel people outside to the back of the pavilion. It is more then likely that entrance will be out "front" and the queue will snake through on the inside so it will be a non issue.

That's not really the angle the bothers me as much. Its when waking into France and having a Gondola tower in the middle of the Eiffel Tower. I mean they couldn't have shifted that Gondola Tower a few feet in any direction? World Showcase itself has tons of visible stuff from outside the park or backstage, ultimately another thing or two won't change the experience much, but the view of a pavilion changing while in the pavilion is annoying especially when it could be easily avoided. I'm just hoping for something to cover that gap. Of course it's really just a minor nuisance to me and I'm sure most won't care or notice.

Ah got ya. Yea to be honest I never noticed it walking in, but will look closer next trip.

Everyone likes to ignore the fact that for 25 years there were towers just like these running straight down the middle of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, and I seriously doubt anyone was whining about "Oh it's totally ruining the theme."

View attachment 341315
View attachment 341316

I did and I was a kid. I hated them, they didn't belong and no one belonged in the air looking down on all those attraction buildings. Completely ruined the magic. I was so happy when they tore them out.

I did and I was a kid. I hated them, they didn't belong and no one belonged in the air looking down on all those attraction buildings. Completely ruined the magic. I was so happy when they tore them out.

Funny, one of the reasons I'm so excited for these is the nostalgia of looking at those old pictures of the gondolas in the park.

But we don't know how they are going to connect it all. The entrance to the ride can be inside the building by the theater so you won't even be able to see outside when you are back there. I can't imagine they are going to funnel people outside to the back of the pavilion. It is more then likely that entrance will be out "front" and the queue will snake through on the inside so it will be a non issue.

The concept art clearly shows a new guest area behind the pavilion with an entrance wrapping around on the canal side of the pavilion. You will enter the queue from the is area.

I remember riding that sky ride can't remember what it was called but I think I remember That and some kind of submarine ride also unless I have that mixed up with another park.

I remember riding that sky ride can't remember what it was called but I think I remember That and some kind of submarine ride also unless I have that mixed up with another park.
Yes the Skyway as it was called back then. The submarine ride you are thinking of was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is where Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid is now. If you do the standby line there is a carving of a submarine in the rock wall by the water. Also they kept water from 20,000 that they added to the water at Under the Sea at grand opening.

OMG that is so cool I love seeing the picture of the Nautilus submarine I remember climbing down into the sub that ride was very cool. I can't wait to get back to the LM and look for the spot to see the sub. I always use a fast pass but I will use standby line for sure.

I'm pretty sure they've come out and showed that people will go around the right side of the pavillion (near the canal) to the back and there will be a courtyard back there which will have the attraction queue partly outside, partly inside.

Those gondolas (along with the queen in the original Snow White ride) are my strongest memories of my first trip to MK! But in all seriousness, I’m mostly upset about what the gondolas will do to the traffic coming in to the back entrance of Epcot. I loved that not a lot of people knew about that. And I’m curious about how it will change the feel of the boardwalk resorts. Will there be more foot traffic now?

Those gondolas (along with the queen in the original Snow White ride) are my strongest memories of my first trip to MK! But in all seriousness, I’m mostly upset about what the gondolas will do to the traffic coming in to the back entrance of Epcot. I loved that not a lot of people knew about that. And I’m curious about how it will change the feel of the boardwalk resorts. Will there be more foot traffic now?

Unless they will be restricted to those hotel guests, I think folks will treat them like another attraction .... so I think they will draw people to the back of the park even if they aren't go to a hotel or DHS.

I've always had a problem with this Skyliner concept. I don't see how this is going to be implemented without issues

1- If one wants to get from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, it seems to me you have to get off at the Riviera, and again at Caribbean Beach. Does that mean you get to the back of the queue at each station? Why would anyone do this rather than ride the Bus or the Boat?. Getting from Art of Animation or Pop will be equally onerous, stops at CB, and the Riviera before reaching Epcot. At those two starting points, you don't even have the Boat to choose

2- Weather, especially Thunderstorms, very windy days, and Hurricanes are a problem. Thunderstorms are pretty frequent. Hurricanes will have far less impact. That said, I can envision plenty of down time for this system. Downtime on the Skyliner will negatively impact the other modes of transportation.

3- Aesthetically, these gondola towers are pretty hideous.

My 2 cents for what is worth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter