Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

So you guys are saying that we will walking outside behind the buildings in France and you will be able to look up and see the Eiffel Tower on top of the building? Not to mention the back of the buildings where there is no themeing? Not that the queue will be covered as you walk behind the buildings? Besides, that concept art is junk, that is not at all what the pavilion looks like. That is bit more then average artistic license with that picture.

So you guys are saying that we will walking outside behind the buildings in France and you will be able to look up and see the Eiffel Tower on top of the building? Not to mention the back of the buildings where there is no themeing? Not that the queue will be covered as you walk behind the buildings?
Yes, they will be theming that back side. The queue will be inside the ride building.

Looking back at the concept art for this, and now seeing these photos, I have seriously underestimated just how huge this whole gondola system is going to be (stations, towers, vehicles themselves, etc). Going to be impressive, but I can't decide yet if this whole thing is going to be an eyesore overall.

Looking back at the concept art for this, and now seeing these photos, I have seriously underestimated just how huge this whole gondola system is going to be (stations, towers, vehicles themselves, etc). Going to be impressive, but I can't decide yet if this whole thing is going to be an eyesore overall.

Obviously we have to wait until it is fully up and running but I think once the actal gondolas are moving around and are colorful and (some) have Disney characters on them it will be fine. I mean, the Monorail beams by themselves aren't exactly attractive but when you have the actual monorail moving on them it becomes iconic

I think motion gives areas life so more motion around the complex the better

Could there be some spots that a tower might be visible and we wish it wasn't? Sure, but I think that will be the exception not the rule

So you guys are saying that we will walking outside behind the buildings in France and you will be able to look up and see the Eiffel Tower on top of the building? Not to mention the back of the buildings where there is no themeing? Not that the queue will be covered as you walk behind the buildings? Besides, that concept art is junk, that is not at all what the pavilion looks like. That is bit more then average artistic license with that picture.

The concept art shows very little of the existing pavilion, but what is shown is accurate. Most of what you are seeing is a newly themed area. The backs of the buildings will be themed.

Last edited:
Mrs. Tigger's Ally better not be thinking of joining the 16 foot high club. I have to spend my time seeing if I can see the tops of buildings or into hotel rooms or the backstage areas. I will be alert on my post! pirate:
I worked in Fantasyland in the late 70’s and worked at Skyway.
The biggest thing we caught people doing smoking pot. You could always tell they were going to smoke because everyone’s head would go down to light up as soon as the car left the station.
Sooooo.. midway along the ride was the “transfer station” (people did not switch cars) in was a platform in the middle of Grand Prix. We always had a person staffed there just to watch. It was great fun to call and tell what car had the smokers and jump out and catch them. Lots of big coughs lol.
That position was rather boring we had to do something for entertainment.

Last edited:
The concept art shows very little of the existing pavilion, but what is shown is accurate. Most of what you are seeing is a newly themed area. The backs of the buildings will be themed.

I see it now. I would think it would be easier to have the ride entrance on the other side of Chefs de France though.

The biggest thing we caught people doing smoking pot. You could always tell they were going to smoke because everyone’s head would go down to light up as soon as the car left the station.
Sooooo.. midway along the ride was the “transfer station” (people did not switch cars) in was a platform in the middle of Grand Prix. We always had a person staffed there just to watch. It was great fun to call and tell what car had the smokers and jump out and catch them. Lots of big coughs lol.

I remember that whole ride and that station. Good story.

I see it now. I would think it would be easier to have the ride entrance on the other side of Chefs de France though.

There's a loading dock back there that is used to supply the various dining locations in France. It would be difficult to have a queue go through that spot without reconfiguring that entire backstage area.

epcot-france-loadingdock.jpg

Image from Google Maps (click the link to zoom out if you are unsure there this is located): https://goo.gl/maps/8J7mNAURMDR2

There's a loading dock back there that is used to supply the various dining locations in France. It would be difficult to have a queue go through that spot without reconfiguring that entire backstage area.

epcot-france-loadingdock.jpg

Image from Google Maps (click the link to zoom out if you are unsure there this is located): https://goo.gl/maps/8J7mNAURMDR2
That service road will be going away with this expansion.

Great story Weedy.

The Skyway was removed when I was 1 year old. 20,000 Leagues closed before I was born. ;)

....ok, all this time I was thinking (for reasons I don't really know) that you were older than I am. Apparently that is not the case and now I feel old....and it's my birthday this week so I'm already feeling old.

Well, guess we know where you came up with the username “Weedy” ;)

Great story!

You won't have to get off at Riviera. The skyway will slow there, but not require you to get off. With the swap at CBR, I think it will still be faster than the boat much of the time - probably under 15 minutes from DHS to Epcot.

There's been a lot of speculation about how they will handle the weather. I suspect it will go down similar to the boats, which shut down during the worst of the storms. It probably won't shut down for just rain and wind, but lightning will likely do it.

I sure hope so....

I've always had a problem with this Skyliner concept. I don't see how this is going to be implemented without issues

1- If one wants to get from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, it seems to me you have to get off at the Riviera, and again at Caribbean Beach. Does that mean you get to the back of the queue at each station? Why would anyone do this rather than ride the Bus or the Boat?. Getting from Art of Animation or Pop will be equally onerous, stops at CB, and the Riviera before reaching Epcot. At those two starting points, you don't even have the Boat to choose

2- Weather, especially Thunderstorms, very windy days, and Hurricanes are a problem. Thunderstorms are pretty frequent. Hurricanes will have far less impact. That said, I can envision plenty of down time for this system. Downtime on the Skyliner will negatively impact the other modes of transportation.

3- Aesthetically, these gondola towers are pretty hideous.

My 2 cents for what is worth

I don't think they are meant to get people from Epcot to DHS? There is the boat or you can walk. It's for the hotels to get to DHS and Epcot. And back home.

Regardless, all will be answered when they open!!! So exciting. :)

Those people pretty much assume that's what the privacy of a Gondola is for. Then there's the vandalism (honestly can't remember the last Gondola I was on that wasn't vandalized in some manner, and usually not within a family friendly manner). Should be interesting to see how long it takes for these to get worn in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter