• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

True, but still doesn't negate a loss in a park income that is bound to be popular after next year.

But the most likely .... I will be offsite taking my money elsewhere AND parking for free at park with my AP. January I was at POP ... but April, July, September all booked offsite now. Money spent on Disney property dropped considerably.

My guess is Disney doesn't worry about this - based on attendance and occupancy, for every person that takes there business off-site, there's someone to fill that slot. And certainly with the gondolas for every person that won't stay there because of the gondolas, they'll be 5 that WANT to because of the gondolas.

My guess is Disney doesn't worry about this - based on attendance and occupancy, for every person that takes there business off-site, there's someone to fill that slot. And certainly with the gondolas for every person that won't stay there because of the gondolas, they'll be 5 that WANT to because of the gondolas.

1000% agree with you - which is why when people stomp their feet .... we just say there is a line behind you. I have no illusions that at this time and place I won't easily be replaced. And for now it doesn't matter ...

But on the flip side ... when things are slow (I know that seems unlikely now but who's to say where we are heading), or folks put Disney on the backburner due to the economy etc ... it is many of us regulars who are their baseline. Many years when attendance and occupancy was down, it was the base who paid the bills. The base has also been one to fill those empty rooms, spend money on dining etc when they aren't paying big travel costs or ticket prices. When you do things to discourage hotel bookings ("security checks", dogs, parking fees and the possibility of limited transportation or raised rates to pay for it) you discourage your base to stay on property. Most of us are well versed enough that 60 day FP+ and EMH are no longer perks AND well versed on Orlando options. I stay in much nicer off-site lodging for less and when I travel there 6 times a year .... it adds up.

My biggest worry/wonder is how are they going to handle storms that might shut down the system. It will be difficult for them to mobilize extra buses for one, and with the IG I can't imagine them saying "Oh yeah, we've shut down the gondola, so now you have to walk to the front of the park in a downpour to wait for a bus that will take us an hour to arrange." It makes me wonder if they'll run the gondolas in almost anything.
They may continue to run, and they may be completely safe, but how will Disney convince Guests of that? People who are quite happy, even excited, to ride them in nice weather may not be so willing during a thunderstorm.

My biggest worry/wonder is how are they going to handle storms that might shut down the system. It will be difficult for them to mobilize extra buses for one, and with the IG I can't imagine them saying "Oh yeah, we've shut down the gondola, so now you have to walk to the front of the park in a downpour to wait for a bus that will take us an hour to arrange." It makes me wonder if they'll run the gondolas in almost anything.

Valid concern considering most outdoor attractions (and it's basically an attraction that doubles as transportation) including the transportation boats stop when it is storming. Given the weather the last couple years this could be a serious impact on the folks dependent on them.

Compare it to the Disney Springs boat which won't run or finish a run with storms ........... storm is coming so our boat pulls over to POFQ, where we are not heading, tells us we have to get off. There we are running to POR in the pouring rain and storm. So what happens if they have to stop .... you get put off at the next stop?

They may continue to run, and they may be completely safe, but how will Disney convince Guests of that? People who are quite happy, even excited, to ride them in nice weather may not be so willing during a thunderstorm.

Very valid point. It doesn't take much to think that hanging in the sky in a metal container from wires might not be a good idea in a rain/thunder/lightning storm. I think most instinct will be "no thanks" regardless of Disney reassurance.

Compare it to the Disney Springs boat which won't run or finish a run with storms ........... storm is coming so our boat pulls over to POFQ, where we are not heading, tells us we have to get off. There we are running to POR in the pouring rain and storm. So what happens if they have to stop .... you get put off at the next stop?

That's an even better question...you are heading out from IG to take gondola to DHS - and they send you off to CBR but shut down the system due to a storm. Now your stranded at CBR.

One would hope they've got a plan for this all worked out.

That's an even better question...you are heading out from IG to take gondola to DHS - and they send you off to CBR but shut down the system due to a storm. Now your stranded at CBR.

One would hope they've got a plan for this all worked out.

Um, kind of like us being stuck under the HS boat launch awning during a lightning storm straight out of you know where? They do have a plan , it's called spending quality time huddled with your wife not daring to step foot out of there! (Don't worry, after the kids started coming out in pairs, we took care of that. pirate:)

From the latest I've seen on Caribbean Beach's construction, I noticed that the new bus depots have specific areas for both DHS and Epcot. Why build them if they know the gondolas are coming? From seeing that, I think there will still be bus transportation for those parks even with gondolas intact. Just don't expect them to be running at the same frequency as they are now.

I also believe that you can get the people at the front desk to arrange for a bus for you under certain circumstances at no charge (or at least that's what I heard).

I would expect that section of CBR to be done before the gondola system is.

I have acrophobia as does my DS. I would say I am rational and often will be able to "deal". I can do roller coasters that go high because I am locked in, but if they stop, we have a huge problem if they plan to evacuate (luckily my stops were always resolved to move forward). I can look out high rise windows because they are sealed but need my space around me and don't touch me. I can finally stay in high floor hotel rooms with atriums but I hug the wall. I love hot air balloons, they fascinate me, I go to festivals BUT THERE IS NO WAY YOU WOULD EVER GET ME ON ONE, not even tethered. If someone says they have acrophobia and then proceed to get in a hot air balloon ............ I don't believe them.

That said I won't ride the gondolas ............. even though I have been on large cable cars and have done the Orlando Eye. The gondola cars are simply too small, without air AND Disney has a terrible record of emergency evacuation. I don't trust Disney ... and that is based on their own performance.

Will I stay at POP again ............ I have stayed 30-35+ times, I really like it there .......... but if the rates continue to climb I won't go back. If I get a reasonable room, sure I will. I will just drive to DHS/Epcot and take up a spot for free that they could have collected cash on. Other than MK driving is faster anyway.

Of course it is different for everyone. I think a lot of people it is more of a fear of "edges" than straight "heights" and the basket provides enough of a wall they don't feel like they are going to fall out. Then you quickly get high enough that you lose a lot of normal references for "I'm high up." Then there is constant movement so it isn't like being stopped at the top of a Ferris wheel.

If you ever do try ballooning, I'd highly recommend trying a free balloon instead of a tethered balloon. Tethered balloons don't get high enough to lose the height references, and you don't have movement so it much more like the top of a stopped Ferris wheel, and if it is windy at all it makes some noises and can lean a little.

I am sure that people with really severe acrophobia never try ballooning, but we have done a lot of people that claim to have it that were extremely nervous at first but ended up having a great time. Along the same lines, I think a lot of acrophobes would be okay with the gondola since it is enclosed and constantly in motion.

I feel like much of the above is blatant trolling, but I'll respond anyway.

In general, Disney World is known for good customer service. We can debate forever if that quality of service has declined over the years, but I think most would say they do try to make every guest experience a good one.
Setting aside any ADA concerns. One would think that if someone has a fear of heights or any other fear that might prevent them from using the Skyliner, they might decided to stay at any number of beautiful resorts at WDW that do not utilize Skyliner transport. If for some reason, they did not know when they booked that they'd have to rely on the Skyliner to get to Epcot or DHS, I'm confident they will have other transportation options offered to them. They may not be as fast, they may not be as direct, but they will not cost the guest any additional money. Now if you want it a little faster and/or more direct, you can expect to pay out of pocket to make it happen, ........just like every one else.
Will they reduce or eliminate bus access from the skyliner resorts to Epcot or DHS? Nobody knows for certain, but the assumption is it would make financial sense.

Bottom line, if you were reliant upon bus service previously. Bus service will still exist, simply the route may or may not change. You will be able to get to Epcot or DHS by bus. It might take longer than it did pre-skyliner, which is unfortunate, but you will still have access.

As Disney changes your options, you can be confident that masses will figure out ways around it to serve themselves better, and more than likely will share that info with the folks here.

Having a fear of the skyliner, no matter how rational it might be, should not prevent you from enjoying vacation at WDW, and I don't see that it will. Every resort has unique transportation circumstances to certain parks. Some are just better options than others. The skyliner is just one more variable to consider when deciding where to lodge while at Disney.

Well said @sachilles , I agree with everything you said. I would also guess that there will be a strong push amongst the booking agents to explain that the gondola are the primary methods of access to two parks when you are booking. Really i think you'll find the percent of people that feel the gondolas improve their stay well outweigh those that irrationally fear them.

I guess I understand people have fears of heights but I don't understand the "deathtrap" outrage. People use gondola's all the time when skiing at the large resorts and you almost never hear of accidents.

I do understand the concern that it shuts off and you get stuck in the air with Florida heat but I'd assume they have something that will keep them from turning into a furnace such as a fan system that continues to blow air through the gondola.

I for one am planning to go next July to CBR and am just itching for an accurate projection when the system will be up in hopes I'll be able to use it.

When is the expected date for this to go into production?

No announcement yet and I have seen everything from Spring 2019, June 2019 (I guess that could still be considered spring) and one youtube news site claimed fall or winter 2019. Most seem to think Spring though with the thought process the stations and poles will be done in December/January time frame and the crews from ski resorts that maintain gondola systems will be available in early spring to put system together.

Wow! I didn't realize it was that far along. Thanks for the info.

We're going in March 2019. I 'd love for it to be ready then. I know it will be crowded like crazy, but I'd love to take a ride.... even if it's just to take a ride around the perimeter.

We rent a car b/c we don't do well waiting on transportation. I have anxiety issues and when I decide "I have to leave", I HAVE TO LEAVE. I can't stand in line at the bus stop. I hate having anxiety. :(

Wow! I didn't realize it was that far along. Thanks for the info.

We're going in March 2019. I 'd love for it to be ready then. I know it will be crowded like crazy, but I'd love to take a ride.... even if it's just to take a ride around the perimeter.

We rent a car b/c we don't do well waiting on transportation. I have anxiety issues and when I decide "I have to leave", I HAVE TO LEAVE. I can't stand in line at the bus stop. I hate having anxiety. :(

Totally understand. My DW wants me to find a deluxe for the price of cbr so that she doesn’t have to navigate the buses. I am selling the skyliner as a great alternative, hope my gamble pays off.

Not sure about how they will handle the bus issue but ..

A...They will cut back the buses and if there is a drop off of the occupancy rates then discounts and maybe more buses, good news for those of us that look forward to them, OR..

B...High occupancy rates and no discounts, bad news for our wallets if we want to stay in one of the gondola resorts

I guess I understand people have fears of heights but I don't understand the "deathtrap" outrage. People use gondola's all the time when skiing at the large resorts and you almost never hear of accidents.

I think this comes from people that (a) have no idea how a gondola works or (b) like to stir up trouble. The number of Gondola deaths in the last 30 years is below 10 and this is for systems designed to go up mountains in adverse weather and often hundreds of feet in the air. Gondolas at Disney will be on flat ground and never more than 30 feet in the air. They will have multiple methods of evacuation in place in the event of a system failure. They aren't going to bake several hundred customers to death.

And again - if you don't like the idea of riding the gondolas - don't go on them! Disney doesn't force people that don't ride roller coasters to ride Everest. And please don't respond with "But I'll be forced to if I stay at..." My answer - don't stay there. If you are on this thread - you KNOW what you are getting. End of story.

If this information was posted elsewhere in this thread, I apologize. I found an example of an urban gondola system in a warm weather climate. In La Paz Bolivia, there is a 6 line (more lines to open in in the future), 20 station gondola system built by Doppelmayr and looks to have the same cars as Disney is using. The La Paz cars have solar panels but only for lights and wifi. The average temperature in Bolivia in July is 86 degrees. In the 141 reviews on TA, only one review mentioned anything about the cars being hot and that was only in the mornings when the sun was shining directly into the car. My belief is that due to the short amount of time between stations, there isn't enough time for heat to build up in the cars. The La Paz system is a huge success on several fronts. The La Paz system is also very safe with no operational mishaps to date.

Last edited:
If this information was posted elsewhere in this thread, I apologize. I found an example of an urban gondola system in a warm weather climate. In La Paz Bolivia, there is a 6 line (more lines to open in in the future), 20 station gondola system built by Doppelmayr and looks to have the same cars as Disney is using. The La Paz cars have solar panels but only for lights and wifi. The average temperature in Bolivia in July is 86 degrees. In the 141 reviews on TA, only one review mentioned anything about the cars being hot and that was only in the mornings when the sun was shining directly into the car. My belief is that due to the short amount of time between stations, there isn't enough time for heat to build up in the cars. The La Paz system is a huge success on several fronts. The La Paz system is also very safe with no operational mishaps to date.
Yep, as far as I know the Disney cars won't have solar panels on top.

The air flow will greatly help. Weird comparison, but I’ve had no a/c in my car this summer and I’ve been driving with my windows down during the nasty heatwave/humidity in the northeast. Obviously an open window is much bigger than a vent, but I think the concerns about these being hotboxes are exaggerated

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter