• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic - disgusting carpet

I saw this post before my cruise and wanted to chime back in. Was on the 12/1 repo to Miami. The carpet is not dirty it's blotchy with stains as if a cleaning agent or something ruined the carpet. The stains are all over the atrium carpet. It's so obvious from the upper decks looking into the atrium that I mentioned it in my feedback form. Very poor looking for such a grand atrium. I'm hoping that DCL replaces it during the spring remodeling

While I haven't been on the Magic in years and can't personally attest to seeing it myself, I can say that judging on the pictures alone, I don't understand how anyone can make the argument that it's meant to look as though there are shadows or filtered water - it's quite clearly stained. Due to the age of the ship this could be expected, however on the flip side, DCL charges exorbitant amounts for a "luxury" experience, and this is completely unacceptable.

Even my 10 year old just looked at the pictures and said "that's dirty, what happened??"
I think at this point, whether it's the fabric, a stain, or optical illusion doesn't really matter. If it appears dirty, then it needs to be fixed because that is not the image Disney wants to have represent their ships. That is also not the image guests want to see. So even if it is just the fabric fibers going opposite ways, it doesn't matter. It looks gross and that's what people will see.

I wonder if the carpet was changed at all during its last drydock (it's had at least one since being re-imagined). If not, it's going on 4 and a half years or so, presuming it hasn't been replaced since then. Fingers crossed something is changed before I'm back on the Magic in May.

I've attached three photos:
- The Magic in 2014 (with Mickey). You can already see the problem, this was a year or so since being replaced.
- The Magic in 2016 (looking down from deck 4). Definitely much worse.
- The Wonder in 2017, almost a year since re-imagining. IMO I can see the same kind of problem in places, there's a spots particular to the left of the photo (dark patch between the lady in purple and the lady standing further up).

I don't ever recall thinking the carpet on the Dream or Fantasy was in bad shape, but definitely thought it the last time I was on the Magic. Problem with the type of carpet they are ordering perhaps?

While I haven't been on the Magic in years and can't personally attest to seeing it myself, I can say that judging on the pictures alone, I don't understand how anyone can make the argument that it's meant to look as though there are shadows or filtered water - it's quite clearly stained. Due to the age of the ship this could be expected, however on the flip side, DCL charges exorbitant amounts for a "luxury" experience, and this is completely unacceptable.

It's nothing to do with the age of the ship - the atrium, including carpet, was revamped during the re-imagining in 2013.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.10.55 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.10.55 pm.png
    675.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.13.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.13.08 pm.png
    445.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.08.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.08.35 pm.png
    713.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Here is my 2 cents on the whole thing. Sometimes I think people can be too picky and look to find something dirty or out of order on a ship, any line, and then come back and report on it. After the 2013 re-imagining, we were on the 3rd or 4th cruise, and reading the early reviews you would have thought the Magic was ready for the scrap heap. When we have been on the Magic and other ships have we seen stains on the carpet or wall, and scratches on the walls heck ya, did it bother us heck no. On the Fantasy our Cat V concierge room had a broken door handle to the bathroom, did it diminish our trip, no, in fact we got a laugh joking about what some people would report back.

We look at it as the ships are essentially running year round, and it would be an impossible task to keep the ship 100% perfect all the time with all of the traffic that they see. Even at the higher prices I don't think it is fair to expect a perfect ship. I am sure DCL will pick a different type of atrium carpet next time if this one has caused issues for them, time will tell.

I saw this photo on another thread and I had to open it up to a broader audience, is it acceptable to have the ships main entry room (atrium) have such disgusting carpet? I asked if these were actually stains or just carpets with just an ugly design? The more I look at them the more they look like stains. Hard to believe Disney would allow a central meeting/gathering place to look like this, am I being unreasonable??
I can't view attachment!

Here is my 2 cents on the whole thing. Sometimes I think people can be too picky and look to find something dirty or out of order on a ship, any line, and then come back and report on it. After the 2013 re-imagining, we were on the 3rd or 4th cruise, and reading the early reviews you would have thought the Magic was ready for the scrap heap. When we have been on the Magic and other ships have we seen stains on the carpet or wall, and scratches on the walls heck ya, did it bother us heck no. On the Fantasy our Cat V concierge room had a broken door handle to the bathroom, did it diminish our trip, no, in fact we got a laugh joking about what some people would report back.

We look at it as the ships are essentially running year round, and it would be an impossible task to keep the ship 100% perfect all the time with all of the traffic that they see. Even at the higher prices I don't think it is fair to expect a perfect ship. I am sure DCL will pick a different type of atrium carpet next time if this one has caused issues for them, time will tell.

You're right, there isn't a place on earth that you could put me where I wouldn't find some imperfection if I looked closely. So anyone could climb aboard ANY cruise ship and find flaws, some more than others obviously.

That's a good point you make about the ships being in constant operation, so if the imperfections are minimal that's impressive to pull that off in a constant operation environment.

having been on the Magic just 3 weeks ago, after cruising DCL multiple times, noticing the condition of such a central location of the ship is much more than being picky. Ive NEVER complained about any feature on any of the 4 ships large or small previously, these were large circles all over the atrium carpet which from the upper decks were very obvious and unsightly. For the amount of activity that occurs in that area, i certainly hope the carpet gets changed

having been on the Magic just 3 weeks ago, after cruising DCL multiple times, noticing the condition of such a central location of the ship is much more than being picky. Ive NEVER complained about any feature on any of the 4 ships large or small previously, these were large circles all over the atrium carpet which from the upper decks were very obvious and unsightly. For the amount of activity that occurs in that area, i certainly hope the carpet gets changed

I am guessing they will either replace it with a better grade carpet or tile with all the traffic that area gets. My point was they do their best, but replacing it often would just be to costly. Hopefully they learned a lesson that this isn't a good brand or style of carpeting:) when we sailed in 2016 I can't say we noticed anything, but now I want to go look and see if I have any pictures of the carpet.

Happy Holidays all:)

but now I want to go look and see if I have any pictures of the carpet.
This was the atrium on the Magic in 2008
magic 2008 lumiere's staircases dcp_1353 1500.jpg

magic 2010 elevators dcp_1639.jpg

magic 2012 elevators.jpg

Magic 2013.jpg

magic 2016 atrium P1080918 1500.jpg
Now that angle looks pretty good to me. But another photo the next day, different angle it looks like spots
magic 2016 1610 P1090031 Stitch 1500.jpg

I still think that some of the effect is the way the carpet is made. The "new" carpet is more of a plush kind of feel. Softer. Maybe it lays funny sometimes

This was the atrium on the Magic in 2008
View attachment 290112

View attachment 290113

View attachment 290115

View attachment 290117

View attachment 290119
Now that angle looks pretty good to me. But another photo the next day, different angle it looks like spots
View attachment 290120

I still think that some of the effect is the way the carpet is made. The "new" carpet is more of a plush kind of feel. Softer. Maybe it lays funny sometimes

Thanks for the pictures, that was the timeframe of ours too. It is weird that we never noticed it when we were in the atrium on that level. I am curious if it looked the same in 2013 right after they put it in. I may have some pictures from then, which would tell if it is truly spots or just carpet that changes color depending how it is laying.

Thanks for the pictures, that was the timeframe of ours too. It is weird that we never noticed it when we were in the atrium on that level. I am curious if it looked the same in 2013 right after they put it in. I may have some pictures from then, which would tell if it is truly spots or just carpet that changes color depending how it is laying.
I'm not saying there aren't some stains/spots. After all, lots of things get spilled on there. And a lot of cleaning goes on. But, I think some of the coloration issues may be attributed to the way the carpet is made.

image.jpeg
So are the dark spots in the carpet that stand out all over in the above picture what everyone is talking about?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter