Disney apologizes for cheer routine

At least the logo was a "respectable" profile of a Native American, not an offensive caricature like the Cleveland Chief Wahoo. And no war cries or chants or tomahawk chopping gestures.

I feel somewhat torn about this T-shirt that I wear occasionally. It's part of the logo that was on the shorts for the 1960s San Francisco Warriors. But no doubt some of the stuff they used back to the Philadelphia days were rather offensive caricatures.

543dd7d73eb9f0b80b6c8c8d54eeb632--sports-women-sports-logos.jpg

But the history is rather odd.

a1a47b52aab773bf6d9652d5caf2c35e.jpg

I feel somewhat torn about this T-shirt that I wear occasionally. It's part of the logo that was on the shorts for the 1960s San Francisco Warriors. But no doubt some of the stuff they used back to the Philadelphia days were rather offensive caricatures.

543dd7d73eb9f0b80b6c8c8d54eeb632--sports-women-sports-logos.jpg

But the history is rather odd.

a1a47b52aab773bf6d9652d5caf2c35e.jpg

I don’t remember the Philadelphia Warriors basketball team. They were gone and replaced by the 76ers by the time I was aware of the sport.

Yes, some of those early logos are awful.

The Philadelphia Warriors I remember were the Roller Games team, a competing league of Roller Derby.

It will be interesting to see if this level of negative attention encourages the school to change. I understand the importance of tradition, but it can be fun to make new traditions also. Especially if they get you away from negative cultural appropriation.

I remember in 1968 my parents took my sister and me to Florida for vacation. I was 10 and she was 8.

I was a bit apprehensive and she was a bit terrified. You see, the nun in geography class happened to mention that there were Seminole Indians in Florida. As far as I remember, the nun just mentioned it matter of fact, nothing negative.

But our knowledge of indigenous culture was derived primarily from TV shows or old western movies. Natives were mostly depicted with suspicion or as untrustworthy at best and as uncivilized blood-thirsty savages in many cases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter