Disney and Ulcerative Colitis

My niece has UC too and was able to get a DAS passed after she explained that it would easier for her if she could wait outside the line near the bathrooms. They didn't ask for too much detail, she just explained why she needed it and they were very nice about it. I wouldn't worry too much -- I do believe these kinds of problems are exactly why they offer DAS. And while it is true that you may have to wait for a bit in a Fastpass line, it was a big help to my niece not to have any anxiety about needing to leave the line because she could always get a return time again. And since anxiety tends to make her condition worse, just that took a load off her shoulders and helped her manage better. Have a great trip!
Oh, and dietary services is a big help. I would suggest emailing them and asking for information about your dietary needs. They have all kinds of info to share!

This is all very helpful, thank you. I am still trialing which foods I’m okay with so I will wait a bit before I email for any information; if I know what I am comfortable with and enjoy I am sure that will make the process much more simpler. I’m glad your niece was accompanied to so easily: it sounds like these DAS cards make all the difference.

Eating dairy free will not be a problem I have lots of food allergies and go to disney so I can eat. There are lots of vegan choices also I'm not vegan but eat alot that is. You can Google disney dairy free and gluten free and they have lots of menus and info. I believe there is also some vegan info.
http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com here is the website also www.allears.net has menus and some vegan info. I have done quick service and table service never a issue the chef will come out and even if nothing on menu will come up with some new for you. If you see something you like they can adjust to make it for you. The table service is great I usually eat most table meals. Quick is pretty much what is on menu and you have to wait awhile for food so it's not quick but fresh hope it helps and enjoy your visit
That’s a relief to hear! I didn’t know they were able to adjust the meal for you so that’s very good news lol thank you so much for all this information. I’ll be sure to bookmark and monitor those sites !

that card will not help with DAS as most DMs will not look at it. I would write down by hand some of the things that would make waiting in line hard for you. card might help in UK but not at Disney as the card are easy to fake
Right, I suppose you can’t be sure which are genuine and which are not (I read that the radar keys that you often get along with this card are copied and sold on eBay too) I have just applied for a DID (disabled I.D) within the UK for general use but now I’m apprehensive about it’s convenience for this trip specifically. Suppose I’ll stick to just writing things myself, thank you for the advice.

I have IBS & a pretty intense anxiety disorder, so I usually get a DAS pass. You might need to have a slight uncomfortable semi detailed explaination as to how DAS pass/short lines will help you. I haven’t had an issue being denied a DAS pass but I always go in with the understanding that it is up to that CM that day if they feel my needs require a DAS pass & keep a backup plan in case they say no. I hope you have a great trip. You might want to google vegan Disneyland because there are a couple groups on Facebook & other websites that keep updated with where to find vegan food in the parks. You do have options tho. Also most nicer restaurants at Disney can accommodate off menu requests & changes, many counter service locations can modify items as well.

I’ve seen some vegan options like the milkshakes at Hollywood studios but I’m not completely certain if they’re a permanent fixture to the menu? I’ll be sure to look for groups on Facebook though. I was hesitating about requesting menu information while I’m at a restaurant and whether or not they’d be able to modify any items on the menu because I didn’t want to be a nuisance (my anxiety keeps me from doing a lot of things that are trivial and would better benefit me) but I suppose I’ll have to brave and just ask! Thank you for the info!!! Glad you’re able to get a DAS, anxiety itself is never easy to deal with so it’s good to know you were able to fully enjoy yourself without feeling limited.

I have just applied for a DID (disabled I.D) within the UK for general use but now I’m apprehensive about it’s convenience for this trip specifically.

It looks like you are in Scotland. Laws around disability access are very different in the U.S. than the U.K. and Europe in general. A person does not have to "prove" their disability to get (most) accommodations here. That is why the CMs at Guest Relations won't look at a letter from the doctor or any kind of disability ID card or documentation, even if such documentation is required in your home country. It has no validity in the U.S. Just write down a few brief bullet points explaining your needs related to why you cannot wait in a standard queue environment; you don't have to include diagnosis, just why you can't wait in a queue. Be prepared to answer some questions if the CM asks.

Enjoy your vacation!

It looks like you are in Scotland. Laws around disability access are very different in the U.S. than the U.K. and Europe in general. A person does not have to "prove" their disability to get (most) accommodations here. That is why the CMs at Guest Relations won't look at a letter from the doctor or any kind of disability ID card or documentation, even if such documentation is required in your home country. It has no validity in the U.S. Just write down a few brief bullet points explaining your needs related to why you cannot wait in a standard queue environment; you don't have to include diagnosis, just why you can't wait in a queue. Be prepared to answer some questions if the CM asks.

Enjoy your vacation!
Alright, that sounds simple enough! I’m going to DLP in a couple weeks too so I’ve been all over the place trying to get documents so that I can apply for their equivalent of a DAS (I was told by a park goer who applied for one in DLP that having a D.I.D would save time and carrying so many hospital letters and drs notes) and I just figured I’d be able to use these same documents for WDW. I think it’s less hassle knowing this now. Thanks for the explanation; I’m comfortable and certain with what I’ll have to do now :-) all the advice is very much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter