Disney and Ulcerative Colitis

bell_ed28

Earning My Ears
hello all,

I've visited WDW with my DF 3 times previously but this year will be a little different as I was recently diagnosed with IBD over the Christmas period.

I've started researching things like dietary alternatives available to park restaurants and something called a DAS pass. Now, to my understanding the DAS pass is available to anyone whose illness does not solely affect their stamina and mobility. I'd like to ask if anyone with IBD has applied for these passes and what their experience was like with them? is it a simple enough process? I'm aware that you are not required to go into details to the extent of providing medical documents as the CM are not able to understand or verify these documents themselves (or so I believe!)

Again, with diet and IBD I don't believe I will be able to eat as freely as I had before within the parks :guilty: Does anyone know if there are any quick service or table service restaurants that specifically cater to non dairy and vegan guests? I can't find very much online myself so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

With the DAS pass you need to go to guest relations the cast member will ask what your concerns are in line

You do not need to say your DX ( and some CM have never heard of IBO) so it will be up to you to think of what you will need in line and why waiting out side the line will help you

With the DAS pass you need to go to guest relations the cast member will ask what your concerns are in line

You do not need to say your DX ( and some CM have never heard of IBO) so it will be up to you to think of what you will need in line and why waiting out side the line will help you

I've actually just acquired a "can't wait" card from the UK crohn's and colitis organisation. I suppose that will aid in explaining the inevitable difficulty I'd have waiting in line for rides or other attractions. I read that the DAS pass was created with disabilities like IBD in mind so I never considered some CM may not have heard of it - thank you, can't imagine what I'd have done if the CM I end up speaking to didn't know what I was talking about o_O how silly I'd feel

I've actually just acquired a "can't wait" card from the UK crohn's and colitis organisation. I suppose that will aid in explaining the inevitable difficulty I'd have waiting in line for rides or other attractions. I read that the DAS pass was created with disabilities like IBD in mind so I never considered some CM may not have heard of it - thank you, can't imagine what I'd have done if the CM I end up speaking to didn't know what I was talking about o_O how silly I'd feel
There will still be waits up to 15-30 minutes and then there are things the DAS will not work for. You will still need to explain your need as the CM may not look st what you have if they think it is a note from a dr. But you can write your own note if you think they will be better then talking about your bathroom needs out loud

There will still be waits up to 15-30 minutes and then there are things the DAS will not work for. You will still need to explain your need as the CM may not look st what you have if they think it is a note from a dr. But you can write your own note if you think they will be better then talking about your bathroom needs out loud

I was a little apprehensive about discussing my bowel movements and urgency to use the bathroom so that is some sound advice, thanks. Yes I realise the waiting times won't always be convenient but I think with the DAS you're able to leave the queue and return or is it just access to the fast pass lane? DM has told me different from what I have read myself so I am not certain.

I was a little apprehensive about discussing my bowel movements and urgency to use the bathroom so that is some sound advice, thanks. Yes I realise the waiting times won't always be convenient but I think with the DAS you're able to leave the queue and return or is it just access to the fast pass lane? DM has told me different from what I have read myself so I am not certain.
You use the FP line and the wait can be a bit in the FP line. So be prepared for a wait. There is no front of the line passes you will have to wait for things and some things do not have any accommodations at all ( lines for bathroom can be quite long and nothing you can do but wait)

You use the FP line and the wait can be a bit in the FP line. So be prepared for a wait. There is no front of the line passes you will have to wait for things and some things do not have any accommodations at all ( lines for bathroom can be quite long and nothing you can do but wait)
ahhh I see, I was under the impression if you were able to leave the line and return it would only be if someone in your party was still in line or if when you finally got to the entrance of the ride/boat/cart and needed to use the toilet, the CM would maybe put your party to the side and wait while other guests continued to board the ride/boat/cart but that's all very inconvenient I suppose, at least compared to just using the FP line. Thanks for the clarification!

ahhh I see, I was under the impression if you were able to leave the line and return it would only be if someone in your party was still in line or if when you finally got to the entrance of the ride/boat/cart and needed to use the toilet, the CM would maybe put your party to the side and wait while other guests continued to board the ride/boat/cart but that's all very inconvenient I suppose, at least compared to just using the FP line. Thanks for the clarification!
There often is not s lot of room where you get in a ride and some you can not get in or out easey

There often is not s lot of room where you get in a ride and some you can not get in or out easey
now that you mention it, that is true. Especially with how narrow and zig zagged the ropes are for some ride queues

:welcome: to the DISboards!

If you haven't found it yet, there is a thread pinned near the top of this forum that explains the DAS and how it works at WDW. Here is a link; https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

DAS is not diagnosis-based, it is need-based. So you will have to explain your needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment. You may or may not find the DAS to be helpful. As mentioned, it is not a front-of-the-line pass, it does not hold your place in line if you must leave, it does not allow you to join a party further ahead in the queue, there will be lines and waiting even with DAS (expect up to 15-20 minutes in the FP+ queue), it has no validity for parades, transportation or dining. and please be aware that some attractions can be a decent length of time (Carousel of Progress at MK and Living with the Land at EPCOT both pop to mind) and you cannot leave once it starts. I suggest you take some precautions: know your triggers, eat sensibly, know where the restrooms are in every park and never pass a restroom without stopping, always use the restroom right before entering a queue for a long attraction, and carry a change of clothes. Plan your FP+ attractions, and book more once you have used the initial 3.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have IBS & a pretty intense anxiety disorder, so I usually get a DAS pass. You might need to have a slight uncomfortable semi detailed explaination as to how DAS pass/short lines will help you. I haven’t had an issue being denied a DAS pass but I always go in with the understanding that it is up to that CM that day if they feel my needs require a DAS pass & keep a backup plan in case they say no. I hope you have a great trip. You might want to google vegan Disneyland because there are a couple groups on Facebook & other websites that keep updated with where to find vegan food in the parks. You do have options tho. Also most nicer restaurants at Disney can accommodate off menu requests & changes, many counter service locations can modify items as well.

Last edited:
that card will not help with DAS as most DMs will not look at it. I would write down by hand some of the things that would make waiting in line hard for you. card might help in UK but not at Disney as the card are easy to fake

that card will not help with DAS as most DMs will not look at it. I would write down by hand some of the things that would make waiting in line hard for you. card might help in UK but not at Disney as the card are easy to fake
what is DM is it Disney member= cast member

Eating dairy free will not be a problem I have lots of food allergies and go to disney so I can eat. There are lots of vegan choices also I'm not vegan but eat alot that is. You can Google disney dairy free and gluten free and they have lots of menus and info. I believe there is also some vegan info.

http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com here is the website also www.allears.net has menus and some vegan info. I have done quick service and table service never a issue the chef will come out and even if nothing on menu will come up with some new for you. If you see something you like they can adjust to make it for you. The table service is great I usually eat most table meals. Quick is pretty much what is on menu and you have to wait awhile for food so it's not quick but fresh hope it helps and enjoy your visit

My niece has UC too and was able to get a DAS passed after she explained that it would easier for her if she could wait outside the line near the bathrooms. They didn't ask for too much detail, she just explained why she needed it and they were very nice about it. I wouldn't worry too much -- I do believe these kinds of problems are exactly why they offer DAS. And while it is true that you may have to wait for a bit in a Fastpass line, it was a big help to my niece not to have any anxiety about needing to leave the line because she could always get a return time again. And since anxiety tends to make her condition worse, just that took a load off her shoulders and helped her manage better. Have a great trip!

Oh, and dietary services is a big help. I would suggest emailing them and asking for information about your dietary needs. They have all kinds of info to share!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter