Disenchanted with GCH

It's a riot to read these "stop complaining about your first world problems, Karen" posts. That attitude is EXACTLY why Disney is able to get away with providing substandard service while charging beyond premium prices. As long as there are enough people in the world to pay whatever price Disney charges while accepting whatever lowered level of service they provide, Disney will never get back to what they once were.

Yeah I hear ya. After this trip I understand the point of view some ppl hold here that the GCH isn’t worth the price anymore. I was happy to pay for the Disney touch. Without it I’d rather save my money and stay offsite. I can burn off more of the junk food I shoveled for the day.
It's a riot to read these "stop complaining about your first world problems, Karen" posts. That attitude is EXACTLY why Disney is able to get away with providing substandard service while charging beyond premium prices. As long as there are enough people in the world to pay whatever price Disney charges while accepting whatever lowered level of service they provide, Disney will never get back to what they once were.

I'm just glad there's some real competition creeping closer to the parks. Not long ago, the closest "4 star" hotels were nearer to the convention center.

My cost basis for GCH is lower (with VGC), but I will still pay the on-park premium on cash stays, mostly because we've drastically cut back our DLR trips compared to 2019. That, and I value the location above all, and I'm a heathen for using the same towel throughout the stay, lol.

I'm rethinking buying the new DVC/DLT resort, though...

We had a similar experience at the DLH in October. We knew housekeeping was going to be every other day and they told us that at the desk when we checked in for our 4 night stay. We asked which day we could expect it to be- they had no idea. We saw a housekeeping cart in the hall and asked the housekeeper which days our room would be serviced, she also had no idea. The next day we called downstairs for towels and toilet paper (we had no extra rolls in the room- just what was left on the hanging roll). We were told they would be there shortly- they never came. We quickly learned to just find a housekeeping cart each day and ask for supplies-- we were never turned down at the cart. If I remember right, I don't think our room was even serviced until after our 3rd night. We were paying more for the room this trip than we had in the past and we definitely did not get the service we had gotten in the past. I'm okay with the every other day housekeeping- but they should be able to tell you which days it is going to be and for their prices, I expect towels, toilet paper, and kleenex.

I'm rethinking buying the new DVC/DLT resort, though...

I was too. Are you considering NOT buying DLT now? I own VGC and was planning on selling a Copper Creek contract and add more VGC points. Now I’m leaning towards saving that money and buying DLT instead and have a fresh start. Hoping their new property would get the best talent within the company. With VGC resell being at 300 plus per point DLT may be the cheaper option. I like both properties so I don’t consider going from VGC to DLT a downgrade.

OP, I totally understand your disappointment and I thought you handled it very well. I, too, have been very disenchanted with my post pandemic stays at the Grand (VGC). For the flagship product at DLR, the Grand should be the height of Disney's purported great customer service. Instead, I've seen it take a serious nose-dive. I never thought the Grand's service was on par with a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it was good for Disney. The housekeeping situation of late is pretty ridiculous. I don't know why other hotels in the area don't seem to be having the staffing issues. It was a huge wake-up call for us when we stayed at a Residence Inn nearby for a few days before a VGC stay and had far superior service, including daily housekeeping and quick responses to problems (light bulbs, etc.). My sister recently stayed at the hotel right opposite the entrance (I can't remember the name), and she also made similar comments.

I must be an odd duck and it is just my wife and I, but the lack of daily housekeeping is definitely not a big deal for us.

Haven’t had any issues asking for towels, been prompt on our stay last month.

Still love staying at the Grand and heading down today for Christmas!

I’m sure you are aware companies are having a very hard time staffing to a level to even be open. You should be ready to roll with some stuff like this if you plan to travel right now.

Honestly the $100 was the fix. Them saying they were sorry. I’m not sure why you’re trying to figure out what to do next.

With Disney fighting lawsuits and negotiating with unions to keep wages low, I'm far less forgiving of staffing shortages at Disney compared to something like a mom and pop restaurant where the owners show up and work really hard every day to try to cover staffing gaps. The economic situation has been pretty clear for a while and Disney has chosen to prioritize things such as keeping wages low rather than attracting a sufficient amount of well trained staff. From the measure L lawsuit, we know that a number of hotels in the Anaheim area pay wages quite a bit higher than what Disney offers.

While most of the time, I don't need a new towel every day in a hotel, there are cases where it would be important. If I went swimming and my towel had chlorine on it, I would not want to use it again after showering in the evening. What may seem like a small deal to some may be an important part of making a stay comfortable for someone else. I don't mind staying in small hotel rooms as long as they are clean but wouldn't think a person was making a mountain out of a molehill if they felt a room was too cramped because we may prioritize different things.

Last edited:
I’m sure you are aware companies are having a very hard time staffing to a level to even be open. You should be ready to roll with some stuff like this if you plan to travel right now.

Honestly the $100 was the fix. Them saying they were sorry. I’m not sure why you’re trying to figure out what to do next.
Sure. I roll with 45 minute waits for bell service, no daily housekeeping and 30 min waits for check in. But I draw the line at a service call no show and being told to email an imaginary manager. I think it’s especially egregious when many others are saying that none of this is happening at other hotels.

These problems are happening because of operational decisions made by Disney leadership. A $100 dollar refund isn’t a fix for that. In fact it’s perpetuating it. This is my vote with my wallet moment and I just want to be heard clearly. That’s why I’m here because a lot of people have experience with this before and are pointing me in the right direction.

I must be an odd duck and it is just my wife and I, but the lack of daily housekeeping is definitely not a big deal for us.

It’s not a big deal for us either. We are used to it from staying DVC, but even then towels and trash service is provided.

Hope you have a good trip.

OP, I totally understand your disappointment and I thought you handled it very well. I, too, have been very disenchanted with my post pandemic stays at the Grand (VGC). For the flagship product at DLR, the Grand should be the height of Disney's purported great customer service. Instead, I've seen it take a serious nose-dive. I never thought the Grand's service was on par with a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it was good for Disney. The housekeeping situation of late is pretty ridiculous. I don't know why other hotels in the area don't seem to be having the staffing issues. It was a huge wake-up call for us when we stayed at a Residence Inn nearby for a few days before a VGC stay and had far superior service, including daily housekeeping and quick responses to problems (light bulbs, etc.). My sister recently stayed at the hotel right opposite the entrance (I can't remember the name), and she also made similar comments.
Like you, this stay was my wake up call. I noticed my last couple stays that the guests at the GCH appeared to be the wealthy once-in-a-lifetime type visitors and not DL regulars. Lots of Patagonia and Arteryx walking around with the VIP plaid tournguide. They appear to be the targeted guests for Disney and they don’t count on them returning. Very much the WDW model. They know they can get away from offer less charge more and that’s why they’re doing it. It won’t be until that demand dries up and when the DL regulars refuse to stay that they start changing their ways. Chapek leaving would probably help also. But what do I know.

I was too. Are you considering NOT buying DLT now? I own VGC and was planning on selling a Copper Creek contract and add more VGC points. Now I’m leaning towards saving that money and buying DLT instead and have a fresh start. Hoping their new property would get the best talent within the company. With VGC resell being at 300 plus per point DLT may be the cheaper option. I like both properties so I don’t consider going from VGC to DLT a downgrade.

I'm debating not buying at DLT, and this is mostly in response to park operations & ticketing/changes in our visit patterns more than service at GCH/VGC, but it's becoming a factor. We have enough points at VGC to take two trips a year, if we squeeze in a third, we can just cash pay it (and perhaps not at GCH).

We've had these discussions in other threads, the pandemic closure and post-pandemic park operations have showed us we just don't need to go to the parks as often as we did pre-pandemic. I end up spending almost the same going to Hawaii, for example. We will see if this carries through to 2022 and beyond.

Yeah I prefer no one coming into my room -- skeeves me out. I usually find the housekeeping person who would ordinarily clean my room and tip them directly and tell them room XXX doesn't need service.

Sure. I roll with 45 minute waits for bell service, no daily housekeeping and 30 min waits for check in.

The waits hurt the most. I stay at GCH/VGC to literally save minutes and steps. All advantage is lost on days with these waits.

Lots of Patagonia and Arteryx walking around with the VIP plaid tournguide.

I feel seen, hahah.

It was a huge wake-up call for us when we stayed at a Residence Inn nearby for a few days before a VGC stay and had far superior service, including daily housekeeping and quick responses to problems (light bulbs, etc.). My sister recently stayed at the hotel right opposite the entrance (I can't remember the name), and she also made similar comments.

I think that was what irritated me-- if all hotels were similar to what we experienced at DLH then you could just say pandemic and staffing-- -but last summer we did a California vacation where we went to Yosemite, Santa Cruz, Redwoods, and San Francisco and we stayed in 4 different hotels. The ones with every other day housekeeping told you which days it would be, and the one with no housekeeping made sure you had plenty of towels, toilet paper and kleenex. DLH cost more (except for Yosemite), but the customer service was not up to the level of what other California hotels were providing when we stayed there. Historically, Disney has had better customer service than other places we have stayed. I will say that I think it was declining, both at WDW and DLR before the pandemic.

In hotels there is even a thing where you can tell the maid if you need new bedsheets or pillows and it's a card that you place on your pillow and when that card is there it tells the maid that you would like new linens but if you don't need new linens you don't need to place that card. It's really shocking that Grand Californian Hotel did this to you and the housekeeper should've given you your extra towels and I hope you get this straightened out soon with the manager and wish you luck

We stayed at the GCH for two nights a week ago. We cut a night/day off due to the rainy turn in weather.

The main reason that we like staying at GCH is location and that’s what you’re paying for. The rooms are nothing special. Beds are comfortable but other than that but the rooms are no better than some chain hotels which are less expensive. The hotel was extremely busy due to so many wanting to come in and look around and the line to buy the baked goods was out the door. This made it difficult to enjoy the lobby and Hearthstone lounge.

No housekeeping but we knew that we were only going to be there for two nights so it wasn’t a big deal and made it work. We stayed at the Riviera in May at WDW for five nights and no housekeeping other than emptying the trash in the kitchen and fresh towels every other day. They blamed it on Covid at that time. Six months later they’re still dealing with the same issue. If Disney is experiencing difficulty in hiring or retaining help then pay more. Stop making excuses. The prices do not reflect the cut in service.

Service in the Hearthstone lounge was just okay. Not sure if the CM’s are overworked but they were not as friendly as in the past and service lacked at times. We chocked it up to the holidays. I’m interested in trying out some of the newer off property hotels next year.

Also, for those of you telling the OP to deal when It wasn’t your money that was being spent is humorous.

If only companies could pay living wages so they could be fully staffed and the linen closet could be stocked.

And again, if people conserved a little more and could use towels more than once, you wouldn't have encountered guest service issues in the first place.

If only companies could pay living wages so they could be fully staffed and the linen closet could be stocked.

And again, if people conserved a little more and could use towels more than once, you wouldn't have encountered guest service issues in the first place.

By your logic I would have needed to not use bell services, or the front desk, or house keeping, or any of the amenities that were advertised by the hotel to not encounter any guest service issues. It’s one thing for you to have opinions on other people’s vacation habits but it’s disingenuous to suggest that Disney is cutting services in the name of conservation.

And to your point I do agree thay the first thing Disney needs to do is to pay CMs more. Apparently other hotels seem to be able to do just that so it sounds like I need to be staying there.

By your logic I would have needed to not use bell services, or the front desk, or house keeping, or any of the amenities that were advertised by the hotel to not encounter any guest service issues. It’s one thing for you to have opinions on other people’s vacation habits but it’s disingenuous to suggest that Disney is cutting services in the name of conservation.

the specific guest service issue came about because you wanted more towels. I most certainly didn’t say that Disney is cutting services in the name of conservation, but perhaps if we all conserved more it would make it easier on their likely overworked and understaffed CMs.

We are currently at the Disneyland hotel. We’ve had housekeeping each day without asking. We’ve been in and out a few times going to dinner offsite since Steakhouse is gone. Valet has been very prompt. Bell services followed us up with our bags. Then after we went shopping they again followed us up. Valet is great about stashing my scooter and bringing it to me when they see us pull back in. We have had issues when we were having to stay at the Grand.

the specific guest service issue came about because you wanted more towels. I most certainly didn’t say that Disney is cutting services in the name of conservation, but perhaps if we all conserved more it would make it easier on their likely overworked and understaffed CMs.
That sounds like completely different issue. Overworked and understaffed is a problem that the hotel needs to address, not the guest. Asking for towels is not an extraordinary request; They literally have a button on the hotel phone for you to ask. And to paint a house keeping service call as an extra burden for a CM completely disregards the fact that each service call is an opportunity for a CM to get tipped. If we’re talking about making things easier for CMs having less guests staying at their hotels would provide the same relief. Somehow I don’t think that’s what CMs want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter