Disenchanted with GCH

I'm so sorry this happened to you, it sounds very frustrating. Things like missing towels are such a nuisance at ANY hotel, but when you choose to stay on property part of what you expect is excellent service. You went on vacation to relax, not deal with issues like this.

Could you try calling the hotel directly and speaking to a manager? Sometimes the service/response I get really depends on who I speak to. Or would the Walt Disney travel company listen to complaints? I've only ever called them to make reservations, but it's a thought.

Sorry, first world problems. While I will agree that for the price you're paying to stay at GCH, if you want new towels, you should get new towels.

To play devil's advocate, you're on vacation, you're at the happiest place on Earth, and you're at the best hotel. Complaining about not getting a towel would be the last thing I would do, and I think they more than compensated with a $100 credit. I'm happy to use the same towel for a whole week. I am by no means a tree-hugger, but I do think we all need to play our part.

Just recently stayed dec 5th thru dec 9th, Also expericanced issues with housekeeping but called and it was quickly resolved, also when i took the shower the water would not get hot so i called and they had a guy sent upo right away who fixed the problem, I have stayed several times in the past when we had emergency situations, mom got sick and vomitting pre covid, they picked us up fromthe hospital. Gave us room service credit and even comped one night when we couldnt return home. Another time I forgot the charger for my moms oxygen,and they went above and beyond to find us a laptop charger that would work, and they fianlly found one at the disneyland hotel. I even saw the lady who helped us this last trip, I will never stay anywhere else they have literally saved my mom twice

The every-other day disney housekeeping thing is really strange. We stayed at 4 hotels this last trip Dec 10-20 and the GCH and Disneyland hotel were among them - they were the only ones who did every other day. The Hyatt Regency in Huntington Beach asked us if we wanted to forgo housekeeping (um, no - this is one reason I love staying in a hotel, it gives ME a vacation, lol.)

That said, knowing this was the current state of things, at check in for the Grand and DH I asked for trash and towel service on the “off” days and it was honoured each time. I also left a note with a tip asking for extra towels (we are a family of 5 and shower after the pool, etc) and was delighted that they remade our beds and doubled our towels and toiletries on the off days.

EDIT: fixed typos

What would you like the outcome to be? The $100 credit was their way of trying to make up for it. Yes, service needs to improve but not sure what else you would like done now.

I think it's best to submit feedback through Disney's website-

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/

I just wanted my experience to be heard by someone in a leadership position at the GCH. I don't want anything done.

I did submit feedback through the link you gave me. Thanks for that. Here's what I wrote.

Attn Dan Coleman
General Manager of Grand Californian Hotel and Spa

I am writing you regarding my recent stay at the Grand Californian. I had some issues with housekeeping that I want to make you aware of. My wife asked a housekeeper in the hallway for some fresh towels. The housekeeper told my wife that she didn't have any towels and that she needed to call the front desk. Later that night I called the front desk for fresh towels. Waited 30 minutes then called again. I was told that housekeeping was backed up but that they are aware of the pending call for service. I never received any towels that night. I had waited an hour and a half before for them before I fell asleep.

The next morning I asked to speak with a guest service lead about this. The cast member at the registration line apologize and offered me $100 credit towards my bill. Not wanting to hold up the line for other guests, I asked if she can give me the email for the guest service lead so I could email directly regarding my issue. I was told that there was an email address I can contact at the bottom of the guest folio when I checked out. I checked out yesterday and there was no such email on the folio. I am now at home.

Just for context, I am a repeat customer at the Grand Californian, a DVC Member at the Villas at the Grand Californian and a Disneyland annual pass holder. I am very familiar with the level of customer service and "Disney Magic" offered at the Grand Californian. I was a huge fan of it and it has brought me back time and time again because it was worth it. I considered the Grand Californian to be the pinnacle in customer service.

I brings me great disappointment to tell you that what is currently offered at the Grand Californian (at a much higher price I might add) is not the same product that I used to love. It is obvious to me that the "above and beyond" level of customer service is no longer part of the Grand Californian experience. I distinctly remember housekeeping Cast Members routinely asking if we need anything as we pass them in the hallways. Never would I have thought that Cast Member would be content telling a guest to "call the front desk" instead of trying to help them on the spot with their request. Never would I have thought that Cast Members would tell guest to email an imaginary email address on their checkout folio instead of directing them to a guest service lead. I understand that I was (very quickly) offered a credit. Quite frankly that did nothing to address my concerns and I'm happy to give it back out of principle.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I believe all these problems are systemic and coming from the top down and are not problems with individual cast members. The issue with me not able to get towels, both from the housekeeper and from the front desk, seems to a complete operational breakdown within housekeeping. This is unacceptable at any hotel, much less the Grand Californian. It was clear to me that the Cast Member at the front desk line was being directed or encouraged to resolve the problem with me at her level and not escalate it up. I think even she understood that the problem I encountered were way beyond her control, and I understand if it may be out of yours as well. Any observer of the Disney company right now is aware of the "offer less charge more" policies implemented by Disney leadership.

I am not asking for compensation. What I am asking is for you to take my input to heart and pass my sentiments along up to your leadership. As much as I love the Grand Californian I will be making reservations at the Westin for my future stays. The product offered by the Grand Californian right now is not worth the price. I hope that sometime in the near future the Disney customer service and magic is restored and I will once again be a repeat customer of the Grand Californian.

Thank you for your time and Happy Holidays

This letter is posted around the GCH (and sometimes in the room)

View attachment 632759

Note: GCH is the preferred abbreviation for Grand Californian Hotel, GC often refers Gift Cards.
Thanks. There's a character limit on that form so I used the other link.

Indifferent staff is one of the worst thing to happen to a company and to an employee. If you reach the point "I just don't care anymore" in yoir job, it is hard to get back.
Yes I agree wholeheartedly. The attitude of an employee is a reflection of how they're being treated.

This housekeeping thing feels like a cop out to me. When I pay for a hotel, part of that goes to the amenities and services provided by the hotel. Housekeeping and towels are part of that cost. If these things are not going to be provided then it needs to be reflected in the price of the room. We stayed at the Westin and Hyatt and they both provided daily housekeeping. Our stay at the Disneyland hotel fell below the service we received at the other hotels in the area. Much like the OP it took an hour to get towels. I called down for bell service and they tried to talk me out of using this service because they were busy with over an hour long wait. The over an hour wait ended up being 30 minutes. The point is either limit the occupancy to a level your staffing can accommodate for minimal loss of quality or lower the cost to match the amenities not provided. Paying full boat while losing out on amenities just makes the consumer feel like a chump when the bill comes.

Good letter. Hope you get a serious response, not just a cut and paste “we’re so sorry”.
I suspect many of their good employees have chosen not to return after the shut down, finding other employers who actually pay a living wage. Despite this Disney roll merrily on reducing services and accepting bookings beyond their capacity to properly service them. That they do this while raising prices is astonishing to me.
Ignore the “Karen” posts, I completely understand that you just want them to listen and respond that they are taking your concerns seriously. Years ago I had an issue at WDW and was offered a 4 day Magic your way ticket as compensation. I didn’t accept it as that’s not what I wanted, I just wanted them to resolve the issue so that others didn’t have my poor experience. Yet I was still accused of been a whinger on these boards by a vocal minority which derailed the thread. So I wouldn’t bother responding to those posters.

I let my annoyance override my better judgement so I am deleting my post. I think you can still see it but some things are better left unsaid. Have a great holiday everyone!

We stayed at the Anaheim Hilton the weekend before Thanksgiving. Rate was about $140 per night, 15 minute walk to security, earned Hilton points, and had daily housekeeping without even requesting it. Great pool area with two hot tubs, beautifully decorated lobby, room service available. We would definitely stay there again. Crazy that with what Disney charges, they can't provide daily housekeeping.

The point is either limit the occupancy to a level your staffing can accommodate for minimal loss of quality or lower the cost to match the amenities not provided
We are still in a global pandemic, and its cold and flu season. It's impossible to know how many people will end up calling out sick six months in advance. It sounds really simple to just "adjust for staffing" on paper, but virtually no industry can plan for unexpected staffing shortages six months out in today's climate.

Sorry you had this experience. I have other general not-great thoughts about GCH (we stayed on the hotel side for one night after a VGC stay earlier this month), but I won't derail this thread too much. I agree, at this price point, there are things that make you go "hmmmm."

Curious about your experience if you don't mind sharing.

Sorry, first world problems. While I will agree that for the price you're paying to stay at GCH, if you want new towels, you should get new towels.

To play devil's advocate, you're on vacation, you're at the happiest place on Earth, and you're at the best hotel. Complaining about not getting a towel would be the last thing I would do, and I think they more than compensated with a $100 credit. I'm happy to use the same towel for a whole week. I am by no means a tree-hugger, but I do think we all need to play our part.

This ^^^

Curious about your experience if you don't mind sharing.

It’s not anything specific, really…just that while, yes, the rooms are nice/clean (and the lobby nicer), I’ve 100% stayed at other luxury hotels that far exceed the quality and service/attention of GCH.

I feel like I’m at the Hilton next to the convention center, with a nicer lobby and easier park access. I find myself thinking “$600-$800/night…for this?” Like, no room service? Because of COVID? Gimme a break, I had 24hr room service at the W in LA last week. Bell hop lines are longer than they should be (they do try, though).

Okay, at least there’s a Peloton in the fitness center.

Yes, before anyone asks, I’m fully aware the price premium exists because it’s the fewest # of steps to the parks. It’s nice being able to buy Salt & Straw ice cream on a hot day and enjoy it in the hotel courtyard before taking a quick nap. But as a hotel isolated from the parks, it’s nice, but it doesn’t independently justify the price.

I think you’re missing the point if you’re reducing my post down to “complaining about not getting a towel”. It was about the guest experience. A hotel promised an item to a guest and failed to deliver. Sure you wouldn’t complain about a towel because it’s not a big deal to you. But would you complain about something else that matters to you? What if bell services didn’t deliver your bags? Or if valet didn’t bring your car up? Everyone has their preferences. If your point of view is more about reusing towels then I certainly can respect that.

Also the hotel’s willingness to issue credits so quickly instead letting a guest express their concerns to management is the bigger problem. What I really wanted that day was to talk to a lead, not get a credit. Instead I was told to email an address that didn’t exist. That just tells me that Disney doesn’t care about the guest experience. I’ve had issues at Disney resorts before where I wasn’t offered any credit but what I did get was management checking in with me the rest of my stay to make sure everything was good. They had turned a negative experience into a positive one and that was the Disney difference. That was what I was expecting and didn’t get. I am not willing to overlook that just because I was offered a refund.

It’s not anything specific, really…just that while, yes, the rooms are nice/clean (and the lobby nicer), I’ve 100% stayed at other luxury hotels that far exceed the quality and service/attention of GCH.

I feel like I’m at the Hilton next to the convention center, with a nicer lobby and easier park access. I find myself thinking “$600-$800/night…for this?” Like, no room service? Because of COVID? Gimme a break, I had 24hr room service at the W in LA last week. Bell hop lines are longer than they should be (they do try, though).

Okay, at least there’s a Peloton in the fitness center.

Yes, before anyone asks, I’m fully aware the price premium exists because it’s the fewest # of steps to the parks. It’s nice being able to buy Salt & Straw ice cream on a hot day and enjoy it in the hotel courtyard before taking a quick nap. But as a hotel isolated from the parks, it’s nice, but it doesn’t independently justify the price.
Yeah I hear ya. After this trip I understand the point of view some ppl hold here that the GCH isn’t worth the price anymore. I was happy to pay for the Disney touch. Without it I’d rather save my money and stay offsite. I can burn off more of the junk food I shoveled for the day.

I stayed in a DVC studio 12/4-10. DVC housekeeping is just trash & towel day 4. However, DVC rules say trash is to be picked up daily. No trash service at all, except for day 4 with the trash & towel service. I stayed at BWV in October, trash was picked up everyday. At first I thought maybe it would be every other day, like they are doing the regular rooms. Nope. I did scan the QR code by the elevator and sent a comment. Nothing happened. I would have dropped it off myself in the trash room, except there were no extra bags at the bottom of the cans like there usually are. I guess next time I should bring garbage bags with me. I also mentioned it on the post visit survey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter