Disenchanted with GCH

RedVines2001

Mouseketeer
Just got back from a 3 night stay at GC and wanted to share my experience. Sorry. It's long.

I know about the whole housekeeping situation and knew that my room wasn't going to get turned over. On the second morning after we checked in my wife wanted fresh towels for her post work out shower. She saw a housekeeper in the hallway and asked if she wasn't going to turn down our room (she didn't know). Housekeeper explained our room wasn't going to get service because we had just checked in. Wife then asked the housekeeper for towels. Housekeeper said she didn't have any and told my wife that she had to call the front desk for towels. Wife got a little turned off by that and just showered with the old towels. She also told me the further down the hall was another housekeeper with a cart.

Fast forward to that night we got back from the park and my wife told me about the towel thing. I called down to the front desk and asked for fresh towels. They said they will send it right up. It was 10 pm when I called. Called back at 1030 to check on it. Front desk said that "housekeeping was backed up but we let them know that they had calls pending and it shouldn't be much longer". I said screw it and used old towels. I fell asleep at 1130. Never got my towels.

Went down next morning to ask to speak to a guest service lead. The CM checking ppl in line asked what was wrong. I explained the whole situation. She apologized and explained the housekeeping situation to me and said they would reach out to housekeeping to address the housekeeper's courtesy. She kind of glossed over the fact that my towels never showed up at night. She offered me 100 in credit right away. They were starting to get crowded at the desk and I had a feeling that the CMs behind the desk were pushing for the CM at the line to resolve my issue. I asked if I could get the card of the guest lead so I can email then directly. CM told me that there is an email address on my check out folio that I can email. She said she ordered towels to be sent to my room already. At that point I didn't want to hold up the rest of the line so I just left.

When I got back to my room there was a housekeeper right in front of my room. I could clearly see that her cart had plenty of towels. I went into my room and waited about 5 minutes to see if she would knocked on my door to give me towels. I assumed that she would get the service call from the front desk. Nothing. Went outside and asked her towels and she was happy to give me them. She asked if I needed washcloths, bathmats and toiletries as well. I then told her how my wife couldn't get towels from the housekeeper the day before and how I asked for them at night and I never got them. She told me that she was the one that my wife had talked to and that the linen closet on the floor hadn't been stocked when my wife had asked her and she didn't have any. I thanked her for the towels and went back to my room.

This whole experience was such a let down on so many levels. I have stayed at the GC before and know the experience is already scaled back. No towel animals. No chocolates. No EMH. But somehow this was way worse than all that. I distinctly remember housekeeping CMs going out of their way to ask if we have everything we needed at every opportunity; even if they didn't have towels in their cart they would have done something to try to help you out. Simply saying "you need to call the front desk" would have NEVER happened in the past. While she wasn't rude, my wife said that she seemed indifferent. Didn't try to check with the other housekeeper for towels. Seemed perfectly content with letting my wife deal with situation on her own. That's a huge let down to say the least. And I don't even know what to say about the towels never showing up to my room at night. That's just unacceptable for any hotel. Especially for the exorbitant rack rate I payed.

I'm now trying to figure out what to do. I don't care about a credit or a comp or anything. It's clear to me that the old Disney brand of customer service is no longer a tenant to the company. It's not the same product that I loved and I'm quite frankly not going to pay for this. I just want this to be sent up the chain of the GC. Hopefully they pay attention. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to contact? I was thinking about emailing the GM of the GC directly. Thoughts?

Rant over. Thanks for hanging in there.

I’m so sorry this happened. Personally I wouldn’t find that acceptable at any hotel/motel/resort. I know in the past when I’ve stayed at Disney owned hotels there has been a letter with the GMs name and email on it. If you didn’t pick that up, it appears that the GMs name is Dan Coleman. I would go to the Disneyland.com website and at the bottom use the “contact us” link. Tell them about your experience and request that it be sent to the hotel GM. They do read and respond to those emails. It wouldn’t surprise me if you were contacted directly by guest services or the GM.
I hope things are better in future trips.

Unacceptable. As a temporary solution I would have gone down to the pool to grab some towels and bring them back to the room. But of course you really shouldn't have to be doing that.

So you did you actually get the $100 credit? Was it directly off the room rate or as a dining/shop credit that you had to use in the shops/restaurants in the hotel?

The service is not acceptable for a hotel of this price point but if you did get $100 that wasn't something impossible to use, at least they tried to do something to compensate you for the issue. I've experienced far worse with hotels and airlines with no compensation at all.

Stories like this really make the JW Marriott and Westin more attractive options for higher end Disney area hotels. I agree that using the contact us form is probably the best way to get a personalized response.

That's disappointing. And not at all what we experienced during our stay in July. We asked for extra towels upon entering our room (we always do that at every hotel we stay at, just to be ahead of the game) and they brought them up minutes later. We also had our towels replaced daily although they didn't do any other tasks, just took away dirty towels and brought new ones. The GM is the one to contact. He should respond directly to you.

So you did you actually get the $100 credit? Was it directly off the room rate or as a dining/shop credit that you had to use in the shops/restaurants in the hotel?

The service is not acceptable for a hotel of this price point but if you did get $100 that wasn't something impossible to use, at least they tried to do something to compensate you for the issue. I've experienced far worse with hotels and airlines with no compensation at all.

Stories like this really make the JW Marriott and Westin more attractive options for higher end Disney area hotels. I agree that using the contact us form is probably the best way to get a personalized response.

I did receive a 100 dollar credit to my bill but honestly that did nothing ease my disappointment. The CM was so quick to offer me the credit that it felt like a hush money. Makes me think that things like happen pretty often and this is their standard response.

I agree that hotels and airline can do way worse and not offer anything. Quite frankly I hold Disney to a higher standard because in my mind they are best in the business when it comes to customer service and guest satisfaction. They set the bar so high and used to pride themselves in upholding that standard. That is clearly and sadly no longer the case. I don't care about the 100 dollar credit. I care about the amazing product that is the Disney magic which is dying a slow death.

Since there is no longer that Disney touch the GC is simply another luxury hotel with a good location. I totally agree with you about the alternatives and plan on checking out the new Westin on my next trip. I hear great things about it. And I think I would be happier with it because I won't have any expectations of Disney magic and I'll be paying maybe a third of the price.

Just checked my guest folio in my email that I got after check out. There definitely is not an email address for me to contact. I really hope that the CM at the registration line was not just blowing me off with that response instead of getting me a guest lead.... I guess I'll try the contact me form. I can't find the GM's direct email.

When I have stayed in hotels I have never encountered problems like this before and what I think you should've done was as soon as you got into your room you should've called Housekeeping and said you needed extra towels and that would have been wise to do or wait until your room was serviced while you were out at the parks and you could've requested towels with this question "After you service my room would you give me more towels please?" and that could've helped you a lot. I know in hotels after housekeeping is done servicing your room the maid will ask you if you'd like extra towels sheets or pillows before she leaves and we say yes for towels. It also would help if you had asked the name of the housekeeper that refused to give you new towels so you could've told guest services what happened to you. I hope you can get some good luck and a gift card too
Dodger

I agree it’s unacceptable anywhere but at the price point GCH charges, it’s downright rude.
You probably won’t find the GM’s direct email, unless someone here does have it, so as above use the contact us link on their website and address it to the GM. I’d also make a booking at the Westin or JW Marriott, attach a screenshot of that to the email (make sure it’s cancellable of course) and explain that the experience you had is why you will be staying elsewhere on your next trip. Nothing says I’m serious like proof that you went, or will go, elsewhere.

Sorry you had this experience. I have other general not-great thoughts about GCH (we stayed on the hotel side for one night after a VGC stay earlier this month), but I won't derail this thread too much. I agree, at this price point, there are things that make you go "hmmmm."

Our next stay will be JWM...we are reserving our on-site stays for trips with kids only, when the location/walking distance is the main factor.

Side note: I feel out of place now, are daily fresh towels a thing? I never use a new towel for a hotel stay unless it's going on 5-6 days or something. I feel like a dirty old man now (avatar is appropriate, it seems).

Sorry you had this experience. I have other general not-great thoughts about GCH (we stayed on the hotel side for one night after a VGC stay earlier this month), but I won't derail this thread too much. I agree, at this price point, there are things that make you go "hmmmm."

Our next stay will be JWM...we are reserving our on-site stays for trips with kids only, when the location/walking distance is the main factor.

Side note: I feel out of place now, are daily fresh towels a thing? I never use a new towel for a hotel stay unless it's going on 5-6 days or something. I feel like a dirty old man now (avatar is appropriate, it seems).

The typical way hotels do this is if you hang it up, it doesn't get changed. If you leave it on the floor, you get fresh towels when housekeeping comes around. But you can always contact housekeeping or the front desk to get new towels. If you booked a stay using a timeshare such as VGC, the rules may be a little different because those typically do housekeeping twice a week but you should still theoretically be allowed to call for fresh towels.

I was never overly impressed by anything the Disney hotels had to offer except maybe getting your name printed on room keys at the Disneyland Hotel. I've stayed at many hotels around the world that were significantly cheaper with better service. But historically, the non-Disney hotels in the Disneyland area have been pretty disappointing so by comparison, the Disney hotels seemed nice. Now that the non-Disney hotels are getting better and Disney is getting worse, the Disney price premium may not be getting you as much of an improvement in experience as it used to.

The typical way hotels do this is if you hang it up, it doesn't get changed. If you leave it on the floor, you get fresh towels when housekeeping comes around. But you can always contact housekeeping or the front desk to get new towels. If you booked a stay using a timeshare such as VGC, the rules may be a little different because those typically do housekeeping twice a week but you should still theoretically be allowed to call for fresh towels.

Oh I know the process, I'm just sincerely curious because I've never felt the need to replace a towel on a daily basis, or even every other day. Am I doing something wrong?

Oh I know the process, I'm just sincerely curious because I've never felt the need to replace a towel on a daily basis, or even every other day. Am I doing something wrong?
I find that in some places, like Hawaii or Florida (and pretty much the whole of the south at certain times of the year), even with the AC on, the high humidity leaves used towels damp even after hanging up all day. When you’re at Disney, there’s a really good chance you’ll be showering several times a day too (morning, after swimming, after a day in the parks and before dinner, etc.), and there’s no way you’re using the same towel and expecting to get dry. Grabbing a cold, damp towel isn’t my speed if I’m on vacation.

I'm so sorry for your poor experience. We stayed at GCH Dec 13-16 and had plenty of towels and had them arrive promptly when requested. However, we never had our room cleaned (which was ok with us but not the promised every other day). All of the CMs with whom we interacted were extremely friendly and helpful but I agree that when compared to stays in the past, it's a very downgraded experience when it comes to housekeeping and the little niceties they used to provide. That would be more tolerable if the price was comparably reduced. We stayed with a 30% room discount and I can only imagine how unhappy I'd be if I were paying full price with the kind of service you received.

A lot of hotels will no longer do this, even in the days of daily housekeeping. It's not eco friendly, and many hotels have little signs in the bathroom about "help us save the environment" by not using 7 billion linens in your stay.

For the price you pay at GCH, the service should be beyond impeccable. There's no excuse for making a guest run around in search of towels. If they are short-staffed, they need to either limit reservations or drop the nightly rate. Since Disney is a for-profit business, I doubt they'll do either.

We stayed at a hotel earlier this month in Northern California for $150 a night. We arrived around 10:30 p.m. and checked in with a very friendly front desk staff. When we got to our room, we realized there were no linens to make up the sofa bed for our son, and there were only two towels. I was about to pick up the phone and call the front desk, when I received a text from the hotel. It was a welcome text that said to reply if we needed anything during our stay. I texted about the linens and more towels. A staff member was at our door in less than 5 minutes. If an inexpensive hotel can achieve that type of service, GCH has no excuse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter