Disenchanted with GCH

We are currently at the Disneyland hotel. We’ve had housekeeping each day without asking. We’ve been in and out a few times going to dinner offsite since Steakhouse is gone. Valet has been very prompt. Bell services followed us up with our bags. Then after we went shopping they again followed us up. Valet is great about stashing my scooter and bringing it to me when they see us pull back in. We have had issues when we were having to stay at the Grand.
This gives me hope for the new DLT DVC tower. It always amazes me how different resorts over at WDW can have night and day difference in levels of service. Glad to hear you’re still getting the Disney touch. Have a great trip.

If only companies could pay living wages so they could be fully staffed and the linen closet could be stocked.

And again, if people conserved a little more and could use towels more than once, you wouldn't have encountered guest service issues in the first place.
Maybe I’m not following. But you want others to use less towels so the OP can have the extras they wanted?

Last edited:
This whole experience was such a let down on so many levels. I have stayed at the GC before and know the experience is already scaled back. No towel animals. No chocolates. No EMH. But somehow this was way worse than all that.
I’ve stayed at the GCH before. It’s a nice enough place but it always felt to me that they charged a premium for the service and experience. It was what set them apart from the many nearby hotels that charged considerably less. It sounds like they no longer offer that - or at least not for the time being. That being the case, I’d like to know how they justify the high cost. It’s like booking a limo to the airport and a Prius shows up - at the same price.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m not following. But you want others to use less towels so the OP can have the extras they wanted?
No. I think what was meant was that I brought this problem upon myself and I shouldn’t be asking for new towels.

I’ve stayed at the GCH before. It’s a nice enough place but it always felt to me that they charged a premium for the service and experience. It was what set them apart from the many nearby hotels that charged considerably less. It sounds like they no offer that - or at least for the time being. That being the case, I’d like to know how they justify the high cost. It’s like booking a limo to the airport and a Prius shows up - at the same price.
And I was happy to pay that premium for the service and experience. I don’t think Bob Chapek’s Disney justifies any cuts nowadays. It just charges and cut whatever the market will take. Until the demand drops and their bottom line is hurting nothing will change.

I think you're actually disenchanted with Disney as a whole. The approach that corporate is taking has left many of us wondering why they've chosen to focus almost solely on bottom line rather than try and strike a balance with guest experience, particularly with the very loyal fan base that has brought them to the heights. I guess they figure that over time, people will forget how things used to be and accept the new "less" as normal. I hope that there is strong enough backlash to shake them up and give us back the Disney that put guests as a priority. People are willing to pay top dollar when they feel valued.

We had similar issue with the Grand Californian during a DVC stay in 2019. DVC contracts are not daily housekeeping but you get a full clean on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8 if you are staying 8 nights or more and this is part of the DVC contract. Day 4 comes and nothing. I called to be told we would get trash and towel at some point to which I replied no contractually they have to do a full clean. They insisted they don’t do it that way. I ended up having to call DVC and they called the resort manager just to get our room cleaned as per contract

then the regular guest laundry room with about 8 machine was out of use so they were directing all guests to the DVC laundry which has significantly fewer machines. It was queued out the door our entire stay. We had packed expecting a DVC laundry room available so we had issues with clothes

it was enough that we have nowsold our points and only have WDW points

I think you're actually disenchanted with Disney as a whole. The approach that corporate is taking has left many of us wondering why they've chosen to focus almost solely on bottom line rather than try and strike a balance with guest experience, particularly with the very loyal fan base that has brought them to the heights. I guess they figure that over time, people will forget how things used to be and accept the new "less" as normal. I hope that there is strong enough backlash to shake them up and give us back the Disney that put guests as a priority. People are willing to pay top dollar when they feel valued.
I think I’m slowly realizing this also. I was kind of hoping that this culture shift wouldn’t creep into their flagship hotel yet but looks like they are fully enveloped in it over at the GCH. I’m not completely disenchanted with the parks yet but I’m definitely missing things, namely the entertainment. I’ve come to a point where I think I’m going to space out my DL trips more and try other things. I’m still hoping Disney can turn things back around eventually.

So I got a phone call from a CM today. She said she was from an executive team that works directly with Chapek and Potrock. Anaheim area code. Spoke with her for about ten minutes. She was very apologetic about the incident and offered me fastpasses for my next visit. I just kind of reiterated that the product they're providing right now isn't the same and I will likely be pulling back my spending until that changes. She kept saying that the phased reopening was challenging for them and they're having a hard time with staffing. I told her that I understand and I hope that this is only a rough transitional period because other hotels seem like they're having more success with staffing and what not. I said that I'm not going to stay on property until things get better because I didn't want to disappointed again. I told her that if this becomes a permanent thing Disney would probably lose my business. She reiterated that my input is appreciated and taken seriously and would be brought up in training.

So there it is. I'm happy for the phone call and the chance to heard and I hope this would be a drop in the bucket to turn things around. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

So I got a phone call from a CM today. She said she was from an executive team that works directly with Chapek and Potrock. Anaheim area code. Spoke with her for about ten minutes. She was very apologetic about the incident and offered me fastpasses for my next visit. I just kind of reiterated that the product they're providing right now isn't the same and I will likely be pulling back my spending until that changes. She kept saying that the phased reopening was challenging for them and they're having a hard time with staffing. I told her that I understand and I hope that this is only a rough transitional period because other hotels seem like they're having more success with staffing and what not. I said that I'm not going to stay on property until things get better because I didn't want to disappointed again. I told her that if this becomes a permanent thing Disney would probably lose my business. She reiterated that my input is appreciated and taken seriously and would be brought up in training.

So there it is. I'm happy for the phone call and the chance to heard and I hope this would be a drop in the bucket to turn things around. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.
Thank you for expressing what so many of us are feeling! I hope they hear similar concerns from other guests and take note.

Thought I would share my experiences, when inquiring about concierge service for my stay this June. I actually called the front desk, where I was able to speak to somebody working there. My concern were how the concierge service worked when booking reservations for restaurants( Pre-arrival) since that is supposed to be included with the cost. The cast member was honest in stating that they are working on a skelton crew right now with Covid. She also mentioned that the concierge level is not being staffed with someone dedicated to that level. I appreciated her honesty. It allows me to grab that 2am coffee so I can book my reservations with the 60 day window. :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter