Disappointed

Yes, I DO know. And I've seen many parent's precious children afflicted up close. Every single one of those parents want their children actually treated for the addiction, even if it means locking them up, rather than hugged and given a popcicle after injecting death into their veins in a warm, softly-lit enclosure while cartoons play on tv screens. (Yes, this is the atmosphere at our safe-shooting site.) Those same parents are not allowed into that facility to intervene while their kids are there. It's simply insane and I do agree you and I are not likely to ever see it eye to eye.

ETA: As to your 2nd point about smokers, I can only speak for Canada where health care is very different than in the US. Here there is no publicly funded health care assistance for smoking cessation beyond a doctor's advice and perhaps volunteer support groups. Medication and nicotine-replacement therapies must be purchased OOP, and are most often excluded from coverage by supplemental heath insurance. Alternate methods like laser, hypnotherapy and acupuncture would never be covered. And whether you believe it or not, given that access here is based on limited availability, rationing is inevitable and active smokers are disqualified for eligibility to many types of procedures where it will negatively affect the outcome.

Yes, most smokers I know who quit were able to quit cold turkey (myself included). Inhaling smoke is a slow death. I witnessed my beloved uncle who almost died of COPD, smoke immediately after being released from a month long hospital stay (that he had been emergency airlifted to). He had been in a coma for three weeks. The doctors saved his life and he started smoking again after walking out the door of the hospital. The doctors and nurses treated him like gold during his hospital stay. His wife, my aunt, died 5 months later of COPD from smoking. Both are/were in their early 60's. Their sons begged them to stop smoking for years. Maybe they should have been locked up?

Yes, most smokers I know who quit were able to quit cold turkey (myself included). Inhaling smoke is a slow death. I witnessed my beloved uncle who almost died of COPD smoke immediately after being released from a month long hospital stay (that he had been emergency airlifted to). He had been in a coma for three weeks. The doctors saved his life and he started smoking again after walking out the door of the hospital. The doctors and nurses treated him like gold during his hospital stay. His wife, my aunt, died 5 months later of COPD from smoking. Both are/were in their early 60's. Their sons begged them to stop smoking for years. Maybe they should have been locked up?
::yes:: If smoking was illegal and they were robbing and hurting people to facilitate it, yes, they should have been. But that's a bit of a straw-man and I know you know that.

Look, I completely and utterly agree with you on the grave, grave implications of smoking. And nobody knows better than me how difficult quitting is nor am I unacquainted with the loss of loved ones. You're 100% correct and preaching to the choir. And it would seem like neither cold-turkey or the influence of desperate family members was enough to help your aunt and uncle.

::yes:: If smoking was illegal and they were robbing and hurting people to facilitate it, yes, they should have been. But that's a bit of a straw-man and I know you know that.

Look, I completely and utterly agree with you on the grave, grave implications of smoking. And nobody knows better than me how difficult quitting is nor am I unacquainted with the loss of loved ones. You're 100% correct and preaching to the choir. And it would seem like neither cold-turkey or the influence of desperate family members was enough to help your aunt and uncle.

I don't agree that it's a straw man at all. If cigarettes were illegal there would be a huge underground black market for tobacco and the underground world is filled with nasty people who will do anything for money including murder.

My point is that your addiction to cigarettes is harmful to you, your loved ones and to be honest the health care system. Drug addicts are harmful to themselves, their loved ones, and, as you correctly stated, sometimes the public. The addiction is different but everyone deserves compassion and everyone deserves help. Society benefits as a whole when we help everyone.

I don't agree that it's a straw man at all. If cigarettes were illegal there would be a huge underground black market for tobacco and the underground world is filled with nasty people who will do anything for money including murder.

My point is that your addiction to cigarettes is harmful to you, your loved ones and to be honest the health care system. Drug addicts are harmful to themselves, their loved ones, and, as you correctly stated, sometimes the public. The addiction is different but everyone deserves compassion and everyone deserves help. Society benefits as a whole when we help everyone.
I agree with all points except that facilitating drug use is "help". It's just not. Thank you for discussing this with me - I think we've both probably said everything needed to express our respective opinions.

I agree with all points except that facilitating drug use is "help". It's just not. Thank you for discussing this with me - I think we've both probably said everything needed to express our respective opinions.

Well dang you keep saying more and at the same time telling me I'm done. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter